PDA

View Full Version : Should the WHL Change Playoff format??

LifelongChiefsFan
02-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey, I'm just curious to see what you guys think. Should the WHL keep the current 4 teams per division playoff format, or change it to top 8 per conference, how they used to have it before the divisions balanced. It makes sense to me to change it back, especially now that the divisions won't have an even number of teams in them after this season. I know the league likes these matchups so that the 1st round of the playoffs pit "rivals" against each other, but it seems a bit unfair that either Spokane or Portland will make the playoffs when Kamloops or PG won't although both of those teams probably should. I realize making the playoffs isn't about fairness, there is at least one team that gets "cheated" every year because of this. No other league that I know of has a playoff setup like the WHL. So like I said, I'm just curious to hear your guys' input.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-25-2006, 06:37 PM
yeah they should, i mean if the last place team in central is better than the 3rd place team in east, and the east team makes it then thats kind of crappy.

also there will be more important games, like a mj and saskatton game would matter as much as a saskatoon and calgary game. Its an alot better playoff qualifying format, but you know what, they arent gonna do it :burningma

Wildeyes
02-26-2006, 01:08 AM
another improtant reason on why they are doing it this way is the $$$ it is alot cheaper playin a divison rival in the first 2 rounds then it is playin an confernce rival, ex. Calgary VS Brandon doesnt make sense

RunTheGoalie
03-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Actually, they only play the division in the first round. They mix into conference play starting the second round.

Personally, I prefer the current format, since it guarantees every team a divisional rival in the first round. The first round is a tough sell as it is. I would much rather play a team like Lethbridge than some Sask based team nobody here cares about.

However, one thing that I see as a must is a crossover for the last playoff spot, if necessary. It would be patently unfair to the Central division team if they finished fifth in a six team division, only to see the 4th place team in the East make it with an inferior record.

Triton
03-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Personally, I prefer the current format, since it guarantees every team a divisional rival in the first round. The first round is a tough sell as it is. I would much rather play a team like Lethbridge than some Sask based team nobody here cares about.

May I remind you that some of the leagues most storied franchises and oldest teams come from Sask! So maybe show us a little more respect,cause once upon a time ago,you didn't have a franchise.

RunTheGoalie
03-03-2006, 11:59 PM
May I remind you that some of the leagues most storied franchises and oldest teams come from Sask! So maybe show us a little more respect,cause once upon a time ago,you didn't have a franchise.

So?

Playing the elitist slob will not change the fact that in the overall scheme of things, PA is irrelevent to Calgary, and certantly a first round matchup with the Raiders or Wheaties could not hope to generate the same level of interest and intensity in either the fans or players as a matchup with a rival like Lethbridge or Red Deer would.

We simply do not see your team enough to care about it one way or the other.

wango tango
03-06-2006, 04:17 PM
So?

Playing the elitist slob will not change the fact that in the overall scheme of things, PA is irrelevent to Calgary, and certantly a first round matchup with the Raiders or Wheaties could not hope to generate the same level of interest and intensity in either the fans or players as a matchup with a rival like Lethbridge or Red Deer would.

We simply do not see your team enough to care about it one way or the other.

the way runthegoalie says it may rub you the wrong way, i have to agree with the sentiment.

leave the playoff format the way it is right now, especially if and when expansion and realignment happen.

from a fan perspective it's a lot easier to generate heat and ticket sales with divisional opponents, and from a team perspective the costs are much more reasonable.

imagine a first round match up between brandon edmonton or kootenay prince albert. yawn. much better if it were edmonton calgary and prince albert saskatoon. think of the travel costs if it were brandon kootenay in the first round. ouch.

Beaner
03-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Maybe the solution as opposed to doing a conference playoff setup like the NHL does, since the WHL is concerned about travel is to go to the following;

If the 5th place team in a division has more points than the 4th place team in the opposite division, in the same conference, then they would take that playoff spot.

For Example;

Kamloops has 69 points, and at this point and time will miss the playoffs.

Seattle (67), Portland (63) and Tri (61) all have less points then the Blazers and will all make the playoffs based on their division.

Not sure if Kamloops should get the 2nd seed in the US Division or take over Tri-cities 4th place slot, probably slot them into the 2nd seed seems to be right/fair. Wouldnt be right for Everett to have to play a team with more points since they did finish ahead of Kamloops.

So based on current standings the first round in the west would look like this;

PG vs. Van
Koo vs. Kel
Por vs. Eve
Sea vs. Kam

Tri and Spo miss the playoffs.

2nd round matchups will go back to the usual system of Highest points plays lowest etc.

In the east based on current points, the PA Raiders would take the SC Broncos spot and play MH in the first round. SC and RD would miss the playoffs.

------------
They did have this system in place for year 1 of the Giants, so its not as though that this system is unprecedented.

-------------------
Its not perfect by any means, but at least it gets the best teams into the playoffs, keeps for the most part travel down except for 1 series, and keeps the Division rivalries for the first round intact, pretty much.

wango tango
03-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Maybe the solution as opposed to doing a conference playoff setup like the NHL does, since the WHL is concerned about travel is to go to the following;

If the 5th place team in a division has more points than the 4th place team in the opposite division, in the same conference, then they would take that playoff spot.

For Example;

Kamloops has 69 points, and at this point and time will miss the playoffs.

Seattle (67), Portland (63) and Tri (61) all have less points then the Blazers and will all make the playoffs based on their division.

Not sure if Kamloops should get the 2nd seed in the US Division or take over Tri-cities 4th place slot, probably slot them into the 2nd seed seems to be right/fair. Wouldnt be right for Everett to have to play a team with more points since they did finish ahead of Kamloops.

So based on current standings the first round in the west would look like this;

PG vs. Van
Koo vs. Kel
Por vs. Eve
Sea vs. Kam

Tri and Spo miss the playoffs.

2nd round matchups will go back to the usual system of Highest points plays lowest etc.

In the east based on current points, the PA Raiders would take the SC Broncos spot and play MH in the first round. SC and RD would miss the playoffs.

------------
They did have this system in place for year 1 of the Giants, so its not as though that this system is unprecedented.

-------------------
Its not perfect by any means, but at least it gets the best teams into the playoffs, keeps for the most part travel down except for 1 series, and keeps the Division rivalries for the first round intact, pretty much.

sounds like the solution i would vote for if i was a governor and in favour of changing the playoff structure.

i'm not a governor and not in favour of changing the playoff structure. it's no secret what it takes to make the playoffs. it's not like the rules were changed halfway through the season and a team got shafted. you want to get in... win. the secret is win your divisional games, have a good record at home, and at least a .500 record on the road.

Section_Z
03-07-2006, 11:01 AM
sounds like the solution i would vote for if i was a governor and in favour of changing the playoff structure.

i'm not a governor and not in favour of changing the playoff structure. it's no secret what it takes to make the playoffs. it's not like the rules were changed halfway through the season and a team got shafted. you want to get in... win. the secret is win your divisional games, have a good record at home, and at least a .500 record on the road.

Good secret, except the 05/06 Blazers may disagree with your findings...

wango tango
03-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Good secret, except the 05/06 Blazers may disagree with your findings...

the blazers can't disagree with me z. they don't have a good home record, and they're only one game over .500 against their own division.

Brad
03-07-2006, 02:05 PM
What people are leaving out of the equation is money. Many teams either lose money or make money depending on whether or not they make the playoffs. That's why 8 of the 10 teams in the conference make the playoffs each year. Teams within your division are always your biggest draw, so having the first round matchups within your division will provide the biggest gate. The govs want to maximize that first round revenue to ensure as many teams as possible turn a profit for the year.

Remember its a business.

Beaner
03-07-2006, 02:23 PM
I understand the money issue, I was just trying to think of a way to keep the division rivalries for the 1st round intact, and get the top 8 teams into the playoffs, besides what we got now.

KBF
03-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Actually the Blazers have more wins against the BC Division than any other team. They were 16-14-3 actually so that makes 2 games over .500. No other team was better against the BC division.

They were

6-4 vs Kelowna
3-0-2 against Kootenay
4-6 against Prince George
3-4-1 against Vancouver