PDA

View Full Version : Giants 1 @ Cougars 5 Feb. 25th

Beaner
02-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Well, another Cougars win tonight as the Giants seemed to be just a bit off tonight for some reason. A little less of the usual work ethic, from the Giants, but full marks to the Cougars who kept coming and when they had their chances they buried them. Nice defensive effort from the Cougars as well,as they managed to keep the Giants mostly to the outside and not get a lot of secondary chances or in close shots.

NOTES
Sexsmith and Bowles got the starts tonight
Mikkelson (knee), Kraus(jaw), Rutherford (Shoulder), Watt (Shoulder), and Lucic (Hand) were the Giants scratches.
Deck was in the lineup again wearing #38
Shots 30/26 Giants
PP Giants 1/10, Cougars 2/7

GOALS
1. P.G Zimmer, (17) (Wishart, Hunter), 0:21 Point shot from the High slot, and Zimmer deflects it 5-hole.
1. P.G Hunter, (35) (Featherstone, Wishart), 12:07 (PP) Hunter finds the puck after a shot down low near the crease and he wacks home the puck.
1. VAN Bliznak, (9) (Machacek, Blum), 14:21 (PP) Blum point shot and Bliznak manages to get the puck in the scramble and pot it in.
2. P.G Hunter, (36) (Tyrell), 2:26 (SH) Miscue between Sexsmith and the D as they turn the puck over to Tyrell who centers the puck to Hunter who puts a deke on Sexsmith and puts it in.
3. P.G Drazenovic, (27) (Wishart, Featherstone), 16:40 (PP) Cross slot from Wishart to Drazenovic and Drazenovic one times it into the open side.
3. P.G Zimmer, (18) , 18:18 (SH)(EN)6-4, Zimmer collects the puck after a blocked shot, and he spins and fires the length of the ice and puts it into the open cage.

FISTICUFFS
None.

OFFICIATING
Herman was the ref tonight, and he called another interesting game. Called a tonne of penalties in the first 30 mins, then the whistle went away for a while and he only called a few from then on in. I think he called to 2 different games, the first 30 everything and anything got called, and then the 2nd half he only called what he absolutely had to. Don't like that style one bit, call the game the same way all game please, Herman.

INTERNET FEED
Camera was fine again tonight, and the Radio guys were actually good to listen to! Mainly this is because the regular PbP guy was sick so they had a fill in and he did a great job. The radio station in PG should hire this guy as the PBP guy because he actually knows what he is talking about. Had a few problems with guys names but for a call up did a great job. Colour guy was his usual self, but without his usual partner the stupid comments were just ignored.

OVERALL
Well I think the Giants got out-worked tonight. Cougars wanted this game more, played better on the PK, defensively and seemed to be winning all the little battles along the boards etc. Both teams definatley looked tired tonight, and the game didnt have nearly as much of the speed and the physical play as the game last night but that probably has more to do with all the penalties called in the first 30 mins (12 minors), and how much energy they put into the game last night.

I thought the Giants basically stopped skating in the third period as they just looked out of gas, and even though they had a lot of shots, they really only had a couple chances to score in the third. Cougars went into a defensive 1-2-2 system for the third and they played it to a tee, frustrating the Giants, and causing the Giants a lot of problems for the Giants getting out of their own zone. Albers and Bliznak were probably the best giants on the ice tonight.

A good win for the Cougars tonight, well earned. They were the better team I thought tonight and they got rewarded for it. Well done Cougs.

3 STARS
1. P.G - 20 Eric Hunter
2. P.G - 9 Kalvin Sagert
3. VAN - 20 Mario Bliznak

Carebear
02-26-2006, 12:23 AM
Lame.

C'MON GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Daddy
02-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Well said Beaner, and the Giants got out worked on all parts of the ice. PG's forecheck was smothering and rarely allowed us to breakout with speed and control. They out worked us along the boards and won most of the foot races to the puck. Our dump ins were stupid with no real forecheck. Most shots were from low scoring spots and second and third shots were rare. And can we win a face off once in a while? Hunter, Zimmer, and Drazinovich walked in at will while our defense looked slow and tired. Bowles was out of his mind at times. It looks like they did to us what we do to other teams. Full props to PG, they earned the wins.

C.F
02-26-2006, 12:44 AM
With these two teams likely to meet up in the first round, is it time to hit the panic button yet?

Big Daddy
02-26-2006, 12:59 AM
With these two teams likely to meet up in the first round, is it time to hit the panic button yet?
I found myself thinking that tonight but we have been in the game for all of the losses except for tonight. Bonner said this also in the post game show. With Lucic and Watt coming back we'll get back some grit. Kraus will hopefully be back also before the playoffs. And don't forget we will get Parker back also. We also have a good choice of bring ups with Molle, Regner, Deck, Dulle, Bouma, and Wright.

Cougar Guy
02-26-2006, 02:00 AM

If this matchup does occur, it's going to be a war . . .

hollcan
02-26-2006, 09:30 AM
The problem with this past weekend is that we are only firing on 1/2 of our cylinders. Hay's game is 4 lines of sustained pressure. There's no way the Cougars can withstand that for 4 games unless of course their goalies are able to stop 150 out of 160 shots while holding us to 9 goals. From my observation this year the Tigers are the only team that plays our same style and that series would be a toss-up(although we outplayed them as well in our 3 losses). my biggest concern for the play-offs is if the refs switch their penalty calls and go back to allowing the clutch and grab, hooking, pick plays, high sticking & elbowing which then allows the slower, lesser skilled teams a better chance to win. Proof in the pudding would be the game with Seattle where Zalaski(I think) allowed Brule to be mauled and missed at least 10% of the penalties(as a ref, if you get less than 90% of the calls correct, you fail buddy) and then last night's game where the ref called so many calls in the first period he took the flow out of the game, then in the 2nd by putting the whistle away he said to the Cougars,"ok guys, it's open season on the Giants, anything goes". If the Whl truly wants the best representative to compete with the OHL & QMHL then they have to allow the teams to play hockey. Maybe the Giants won't be able to make it that far but like most posters this season have said they have "probably" the best "all-round" team, lacking in one very important area............experience. Thoughts?

Bran
02-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I think your boys are getting tired! They probably need a few days to rest up and if they can get some of those guys back before playoffs I think they'll be in pretty good shape. It might take some of them a little while to get back into the swing of things since they've been out so long, but I have a feeling they'll be okay. You guys worry too much! ;)

Beaner
02-26-2006, 12:08 PM
I think your boys are getting tired! They probably need a few days to rest up and if they can get some of those guys back before playoffs I think they'll be in pretty good shape. It might take some of them a little while to get back into the swing of things since they've been out so long, but I have a feeling they'll be okay. You guys worry too much! ;)

I agree. I'm not worried one bit.

It's 2 losses in their last 10, while playing with only 15-16 Regulars. Nothing to panic about at all yet.

Playoffs are 3 weeks away, I'll start thinking about our 1st round matchup when we know who that is.

Jovorock
02-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Way to go Cougs, kicking the Giants Ass!

Kassian
02-26-2006, 02:37 PM
I'd definitely worry. It isn't like the Cougars haven't beaten us when the likes of Lucic and Watt were healthy and in the line up. We just don't seem to fair well against PG. It also seems like we can't consistantly score on Bowls like we usually can against any other goaltender in the league. I hope the Giants end up playing Kamloops in the 1st round instead...

N.W. Bruin
02-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Assuming Kelowna wins their games in hand they will only be two points behind with two matchups with the Giants to come. A split would have been great up in P.G. as the Blazers would only be a point behind. Though the three P.G./Kam games coming up should decide the race anyway. Kam. also has two games left against their own patsies (the Rockets) while the Cougs are done with their own patsies (Giants). It is crazy but the two teams fighting for fourth have fed off the two top teams in the division on a one on one basis.

langdak
02-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Way to go Cougs, kicking the Giants Ass!

Another intelligent post i see :thumb:

Kassian
02-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Another intelligent post i see :thumb:

He's a Kelowna fan. Give him a break... :laugh: :thumb:

langdak
02-26-2006, 10:38 PM
He's a Kelowna fan. Give him a break... :laugh: :thumb:

A "break" is the bare minimum :thumb: