PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Radio Commentary

Smalltime
02-26-2006, 04:19 PM
So, after back to back losses to the Cougars, I really hope we don't have to play them in the playoffs. It was extremely frustrating hockey to watch and they seriously out-"teamed" us on both nights.

There seemed to be very few scoring opportunities for both teams and that played into the Cougars' hands. Well played to them. Unfortunately I had to listen to the Prince George radiocast of the game with my streaming video because it didn't sync up with the Giants radiocast. Why was this so bad, when it's perfectly acceptable at most other away games?

Because the two people who called the first game (and one of them was back calling the second night) were so offensive and disrespectful to the players. Calling Brule spoiled and opening up a game saying that the Cougars should run Slade and that Hunt is cheap and just gets away with it all the time was ridiculous.

I expect the home team radio guys to be rooting for the home team. But at least give the athletes the benefit of the doubt in some situations. When Fistric argues with the ref after high-sticking a PG player, I assume that he knows he's guilty of the offense (as evidenced by the cut on the player's face) and is arguing another point entirely. But instead I have a commentator telling me, in a disgusted voice, that Fistric is simply skating around trying to look good and that he should just shut-up.

The worst part of it was that the Cougar forecheck strategy might have been the most effective part of their game on Friday night and it didn't even get mentioned by the commentators who instead stuck to making condescending comments about any Giant they chose. On top of this, they took to criticizing the referee when some Cougar penalties were called because he refused to call diving against the Giants, or when he let the teams play on. I would be surprised if there weren't also Cougar fans who wished for a more hockey-centric version of the radiocast.

I've found a way to enjoy almost every Giants away game that I've watched online, win or lose. But the first game and to a much smaller extent the second game in PG (when one of the commentators was gone and the second behaved better) were simply unacceptable. That's not what hockey is about. I want to be a part of the hockey community, but I want no part in whatever game those commentators made it.

If they have been made aware that their broadcast makes up the audible portion of official WHL streaming presentations then I must conclude that they don't mind coming off as arrogant and demeaning to away team fans who have actually paid to hear their thoughts. I believe that the Prince George Cougars deserve much more than this even without considering their admirable on-ice performance in those two games.

Beaner
02-26-2006, 07:34 PM
I agree with your comments 100%. Great post. :thumb:

No need for any of those comments that we heard on Friday night about players in this league.

You should email this off to the PG Radio station, the Cougars themselves and the WHL head office.

Sput
02-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Yes PLEASE email 99.3 the Drive radio about the commentators, and give examples of how brutal they actually are. Most all of the fans here in PG hate listening to these guys babble and blither about the game that is going on. As an indication of how poor a job they really do, you hardly see anyone walking around the CNCenter with a radio anymore. Its like watching the Cougars and whomever, and listening to the Canucks broadcast. Its two different games. Whats being talked about on air isn't what happens on ice.

If you want I'll even provide email links to the Cougars, the Drive, and anyone else in PG that you can think of.

JoshRo
02-27-2006, 02:20 AM
Saturday's commentary was definitely an improvement! I have to admit it tickles me when commentators mis-pronounce player names though. My girlfriend insists that that on Saturday the guy kept calling Machacek 'Magic'
I like to think that's true............... :laugh:

Jovorock
02-27-2006, 09:05 AM
As Sput said email the Cougars, the raio station and the WHL. This is suppose to be the best junior leauge in the world, why should we stand for second class?

I haven't heard these two, but on another thread where these two guys called Fistric and Brule "brats", is complete B.S.!

Sput
02-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Here are the local PG email addys to register complaints on the pbp and commentary.

cougars@mag-net.com
CKPGMAIL@CKPG.BC.CA

By all means, let them know what you think. They won't listen to us up here.