In the crowd
02-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Article from the Fort Saskatchewan Record:

Good luck Ian, on your hockey journey
The Fort’s Ian Barteaux headed to Kootenay next season

By Jason Hills
Sports Comment
Friday January 27, 2006

Fort Saskatchewan Record — When I found out that Fort Saskatchewan Traders, and the Fort’s own Ian Barteaux has chosen to make the jump to the Western Hockey League’s Kootenay Ice next season, I had one thing to say “Good on ya kid”.
Good for you to make a very tough decision regarding your hockey career. You had many hockey heads swaying you in all different directions to go NCAA, or the WHL route, and you chose to follow your dream.
Barteaux had dreams as a little kid to suit up for his hometown Traders, and he was able to do that this season, and what a season it’s been for him. The JPII Grade 12 student has recorded four goals and 12 assists in 36 games with the Traders, and a whopping 131 penalty minutes . But when the 17-year-old got drafted in the third round of the 2001 WHL Bantam, he had dreams of one day playing in the Western Hockey League for the Kootenay Ice.
Ian played his cards right when he headed to Kootenay’s training camp in August. I have seen many young hockey players play in the Western Hockey League when they are 16 or 17, and they clearly aren’t ready. They see more press box than ice-time, and it’s hindered them down the road, when they look to other avenues in their hockey career, and those avenues are closed.
‘Barts’ played it smart, and didn’t jeopardize his NCAA eligibility, and has excelled here in his only season with the Traders. He has logged tons of ice time in many key situations, and has matured into an elite defenceman.
Barteaux has shown things on the ice, I haven’t seen from 20-year-old’s in junior hockey, and that is only going to help him next year in Kootenay.
I grew up watching the Western Hockey League, and in my mind Barteaux will definitely succeed in the W.H.L. for many reasons. His physical play is suited for the ‘Dub, and he is being looked at by NHL scouts, and he has a better shot at being drafted if he played in the Western Hockey League.
Give Ian credit for wanting to live out his dream. His decision to make the jump to the WHL was ultimately his decision, and from my view the right choice. He’ll be a big loss for the Traders next season, and a big gain for the Kootenay Ice, but I just want to say, it’s been a pleasure Ian to watch you grow into an excellent hockey player you have become, and I wish you all the best.

Chipper
02-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Thats good to know! I remember him from training camp and he looked good, he probably would have made the team if he had stayed but for his development maybe a good move for him . I hope he is as good as this article says he is. We can always use a good d man.

Bomber
03-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Because Ian had already burned his NCAA eligibility (or at least one year of it) when he played in a exhibition game with the Ice as a 16-year-old against the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

NCAA rules state that he would have to sit out at least one year of college eligibility because of playing the game so, unless he wanted to set his career back a year, he really had no choice.