View Full Version : Tips D in a race W/Hitmen

Tipped Off
03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Goal in sight for Everett defense
By Jim Riley

Special to The Seattle Times

Related

WHL Player Bio: Silvertip goaltender Leland Irving

Forget the playoffs, the home-ice advantage and the U.S. Division crown that could be just around the corner.

The Everett Silvertips are in a tight race with the Calgary Hitmen to see which team will give up the fewest goals in the Western Hockey League this season.

After goaltender Leland Irving's shutout of the Tri-City Americans on Sunday, Everett had allowed 131 goals in 61 games, one fewer than the Hitmen and goaltender Justin Pogge, who also led Team Canada to the World Junior Championship.

It's all a bit strange, considering that the Silvertips started the season with an untested goaltender in Irving and a young defense.

One of the players who has shouldered a big portion of the load is Taylor Ellington. Ellington, 17, now enjoys a regular shift next to Shaun Heshka, 20, and the two often pair against the best goal scorers in the league.

"It definitely makes you a better player to go out against the best lines," Ellington said. "I definitely have a lot more confidence than I did as a rookie last year."

Silvertips coach Kevin Constantine said it is a little unusual to have such a young player matching up with the league's best skaters.

"He's done a very good job," Constantine said of Ellington. "Obviously, Heshka is the anchor, but you wouldn't expect a 17-year-old to be in that role. He's really learned very quickly."

A year ago, Ellington had a lot of time to study. He usually sat on the bench and learned from watching Mitch Love, last season's team captain.

"He was definitely one of the guys I watched. Also, Heshka and Cody Thoring have taught me a lot," Ellington said. "Last year, I didn't know what to expect and didn't have much confidence. I learned a lot by practicing every day."

Now that Ellington is making a major contribution on defense, he's beginning to work on his offense. Everett is one of the best shot-blocking teams in the league, and Ellington is working on getting his shots through the defense.

"There's a lot of joy in blocking shots, and now I'm trying to work on making sure mine don't get blocked," he said. "Offense is the next step for me."

Notes

• The Everett Silvertips are in the midst of playing eight games in 10 days, a schedule that could allow them the luxury of some rest before the playoffs begin late this month.

If the Silvertips can get through this stretch with at least a .500 record, they should be able to clinch the U.S. Division title two weeks before the regular season ends March 19.

• Irving's calm and quiet demeanor makes it easy to pencil him into the lineup daily, Constantine said.

"He's so low-key, it's easy to go days and weeks without really noticing him other than how well he plays," the coach said.

Heshkak
03-08-2006, 03:22 PM
That's pretty damn good for a grade of "C"(Herald-Mid season grades) for the defence. Wonder what grade they get now?

Tipped Off
03-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Tips: 139 in 66 games = 2.106
Calgary: 145 in 67 = 2.164

Beaner
03-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Vancouver 143 in 67 = 2.13

I'd give the Tips D, a solid B. They are good, but compared to Vancouver they give up a lot more shots, but Irving is there to keep the puck out of the net.

Looking at the Shot Totals for these 3 teams

Calgary 1605 shots against
Everett 1683 shots against
Vancouver 1439 shots against.

I think Irving is probably one of the most under-rated Goalies in the WHL, probably right behind Moir.

Heshkak
03-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Irving is definatly the backbone. I have no idea how that guy plays so well for so long, he has some of the league's best stats with the highest amount of ice time.

Tipped Off
03-08-2006, 04:11 PM
It's hard to imagine Irving has only NOT started 4 games this season. Hopefully once the Tips clinch the U.S. Division he can get some rest. That being said, he might just be one of those rare guys who does worse with more rest. Maybe he HAS to play so much to keep his mental game sharp. He always seems to do better in the middle of long stretches than after a long layoff. It would be interesting to see his performance broken down by days off prior to each start...but that's too much work for me to do...lol.

Beaner
03-08-2006, 04:27 PM
How would you know if he does worse with more rest, he never gets any. :laugh:

Tough call on playing him so much as you really have no idea where your back-up is at, as you can't judge a guy playing only 4 games in a year.

And if Irving goes down with an injury, that leaves the tips with a huge question mark at net.

Tipped Off
03-08-2006, 04:37 PM
....let's hope no one has any bright ideas to "run the goalie" anytime soon (did I just say that out loud?)!

nelson951
03-09-2006, 01:28 AM
I saw all 3 Tips games last weekend I couldn't believe Irving played all 3 but the Kelowna game was his best!