PDA

View Full Version : Wheat King To Receive Red Cross Award

WHEATMAN
03-02-2006, 04:18 PM
WHEAT KING TO RECEIVE RED CROSS AWARD
Created: Mar 2, 2006
Brandon, Manitoba - A 16-year rookie defenceman with the Western Hockey League's Brandon Wheat Kings will be recognized Friday night at the Keystone Centre by the Canadian Red Cross.

Keith Aulie is scheduled to receive the Red Cross Rescuer Award, which is presented to non-professional rescuers or off-duty first responders who have volunteered to save a life, prevented further injury or provided comfort to the injured.

On December 22nd, 2005, the Rouleau, Saskatchewan native rescued his father from the freezing waters of a slough on the family farm. Aulie was at home enjoying a few days off with friends and family before the start of the World Under 17 Hockey Challenge in Regina.

Keith's dad Bill Aulie was clearing snow off a dugout so that family members could play their traditional Christmas shinny game when his tractor fell through the ice. Almost immediately, water filled the tractor cabin as it sunk to the bottom. Sensing that the back window was out, Bill swam out the back of the tractor and into the freezing water. He clawed his way along the ice until he found the opening. Up above, next to the hole in the ice, Keith was about to dive in after his dad, when he saw Bill's hand reach out. Keith pulled his father to safety and carried him back to the house.

Today Bill is alive and well thanks to Keith's bravery and quick action. For the Aulie family, it was truly a "miracle on ice."

The Canadian Red Cross - Manitoba Region will honour Keith's lifesaving efforts with the presentation of the Red Cross Rescuer Award during the second intermission of Friday's WHL game between the Wheat Kings and Prince Albert Raiders at the Keystone Centre.

Keith Aulie was Brandon's first pick and eleventh overall in the 2004 Western Hockey League bantam draft. The 6'6" 210 lb rookie returned to the Wheat Kings' lineup this week after missing close to a month with a shoulder/neck problem. In 34 games this season, Keith has two assists and 28 minutes in penalties.

Brandon enters Friday's game with a slim three point lead on the Raiders for the fourth and final playoff berth in the WHL's Eastern Division. Both teams have eight games remaining. Friday's game will also feature a Salute to both the Provincial Pee Wee Championships on tap in Brandon this weekend as well as western Manitoba's 4-H group, compliments of Meyers Norris Penny.

TIckets to Friday's game are on sale now at the Keystone box office, by calling 726-3555 or by going online at ticketmaster.ca

witness
03-03-2006, 09:05 AM
I met the kid last year when he was playing for Notre Dame. He comes from a close family and is one of the nicest kids you will meet. Brandon, don't let this kid go. He is a leader and the kind of person/player you want to build an organization around.

Bran
03-03-2006, 01:46 PM
That's awesome! It's nice to see a good kid being recognized for doing something outstanding. I remember reading about it in the Leader Post and thinking that kid is braver than I am. I'll bet that was an amazing Christmas for the family.