PDA

View Full Version : Cougars/Blazers

scamperdog
03-02-2006, 09:32 PM
If the Blazers want any chance at the playoffs it all comes down to this weekends back to back games in PG with time running out in the season the Blazers trail PG by 4 points, You can throw magic numbers and anything else out the window, the Blazers simply have to win 2 games anything less and barring a PG meltdown the rest of the season it is over and for the first time this team will get a taste of what it's like from the other side. If some how the Blazers do sweep then I think there is a good chance for that final game of the season to mean something, but that is probaly wishful thinking. Positives for Kamloops this weekend is the return of Rome and Jorgenson will be playing, but wearing a face shield, plus over all the team has been playing pretty good hockey since the last time they ment, the big negative is that PG has had Kamloops number all season including some shutouts,
GO BLAZERS GO :groovy:

Beaner
03-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Glad to hear that Rome is back after that injury.

scamperdog
03-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Back

Friday, March 3, 2006
www.princegeorgecitizen.com

Right here, right now
Final B.C. Division playoff berth on the line with key series at CN Centre

by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

Over-rated?
Over-hyped?

Over-blown?

Not a chance.

This, as everyone around the Prince George Cougars dressing room was saying Thursday, is as big as it gets for this time of year.

Two games against the Kamloops Blazers, at home, to essentially decide who moves on to the playoffs.

This is as meaningful as the WHL's regular season, often an exercise in tedium, can be.

"I don't think it's being overplayed by anyone," said Cougars captain Myles Zimmer.

"No matter how you look at it, it's two teams that are battling each other for a playoff spot, and this is a team that we have a chance to knock out ourselves. If we come in this weekend and play the way we can, we can do it.

"Obviously, it's not a done deal if we win both games this weekend, but it puts us in a pretty good position. These are two big games."

The Cougars, who have eight games to play, come in with a four-point lead. Because the two clubs meet three more times before the 72-game regular season concludes, the Blazers do control their own destiny — but they will have to do better than an even split of the available points. Kamloops needs three wins in those games, starting with tonight and Saturday.

"I think it would be a bigger weekend for us if we were four points behind them, not ahead of them," said Cougars head coach Mike Vandekamp.

"But it's a big weekend no matter which way you look at it. We've played this whole season to get into the playoffs, and we feel if we get four points we'll have all but done that. It's important for both teams, about as big a weekend series as it can be in the regular season."

Real Cyr will go in goal for the Cougars, despite the fact Scott Bowles has gone on a run with six consecutive starts. Cyr has owned the Blazers this year, with four wins and three straight shutouts against Kamloops. The Cats are 5-2-0-0 against the Blazers — the lone Bowles win coming in a shootout, and both losses going against Bowles's record.

"For whatever reason, Real has played well against that team and we believe in Real," said Vandekamp.

Cyr handled the long layoff by looking ahead to these games, thinking he might get the call.

"We always seem to get off to a good start against Kamloops, and that helps me get comfortable," said the 18-year-old.

"It's been the same thing with Vancouver, Scotty's done well against those guys — and it's gone my way against Kamloops. (The Blazers) probably wouldn't be too happy with the games they've had against me, and I'm sure they'll be coming harder (tonight)."

The Cougars will not have defencemen Andy Rogers (ankle) and Jesse Dudas (bruised leg), yet again, and Vandekamp gave the strongest indication yet that neither is expected back.

"We'll never see Rogers back and Dudas is starting to look unlikely, too," said Vandekamp.

Aside from Rogers and Dudas, the Cougars are as healthy as they've been all year, the opposite of the Blazers, who have key personnel recovering from various problems (see below).

"You hope when you have a season full of injuries that it comes to an end at some point," said Vandekamp.

"But when a team is short bodies, it gives them extra motivation. We've played like that a lot this year, and a wounded dog is a tough dog. I'm not going to read too much into them having some injuries over there. Both teams will be ready to play and highly-motivated.

"Their team became a harder-working team after they made a coaching change, and we have to match that and even be better in the area of effort."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jovorock
03-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Cougs 4 pts up and one game in hand, hugh weekend for the Blazers. If the Cougs sweep the season is over for the Blazers, talk about pressure!

Rank B.C. Division GP W L OTL SL PTS PCT GF GA STK P10 PIM

4 Prince George Cougars 64 33 26 1 4 71 0.555 176 168 2-0-1-0 3-5-1-1 1250
5 Kamloops Blazers 65 31 29 2 3 67 0.515 162 177 0-2-0-0 5-5-0-0 151

scamperdog
03-04-2006, 12:06 AM
After tonight I think it is now safe to say that the Cougars are back in the whl playoffs with a big 4-1 victory and as for Kamloops the first time they have not made it, I don't think this comes as a surprise to the majority of Blazer fans and as always in sports there is always next year, now the questions will start to be asked, with everyone having an opionion and the right answers, One thing I will say it is going to take alot of work to bring the fans back and that is something this organization better start working on right away,
A Positive from tonights game, the Blazer finally scored a goal on Cyr the first one since Oct 4/05
Another thing is even though they won't make the playoffs going by the last six years thats only 2 less home games so all in all thats not so bad.

Scoring
1. P.G Drazenovic, (28) (Hunter, Wishart), 8:25 (PP)
2. P.G Drazenovic, (29) (Walker, Hunter), 6:18 (PP)
2. P.G Tyrell, (7) (Gardner, Sagert), 16:57 (SH)
3. KAM Stretch, (3) (Macias, White), 15:00
3. P.G Sagert, (7) , 19:45 (EN)
Penelties
1 - P.G Featherstone, 4:06 - Delay of Game , 2 min (PP)
1 - KAM Kassian, 6:26 - Interference , 2 min (PP)
1 - KAM Rome, 7:09 - Slashing , 2 min (PP)
1 - P.G Featherstone, 7:48 - Interference , 2 min (PP)
2 - KAM Kassian, 5:30 - Roughing , 2 min (PP)
2 - P.G Orr, 16:15 - Checking from Behind , 2 min (PP)
2 - P.G Hunter, 19:52 - Slashing , 2 min (PP)
3 - KAM Gutierrez, 3:15 - Roughing , 2 min (PP)
3 - KAM Tesliuk, 5:15 - High Sticking , 2 min (PP)
3 - KAM Tesliuk, 17:40 - Holding , 2 min
3 - P.G Walker, 17:40 - Roughing , 2 min
Three Stars
1. P.G - 10 Nicholas Drazenovic
2. P.G - 30 Real Cyr
3. P.G - 20 Eric Hunter

Jovorock
03-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Six points down with six games left, its going to be tough! The Blazers better win tonight or start booking your tee times!

scamperdog
03-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Six points down with six games left, its going to be tough! The Blazers better win tonight or start booking your tee times!
Most of the courses are open so at least there is lots of choices, tee time at a differendt course each day of the week!!

Sput
03-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Your courses are open? Damn it man....we still have 3-4 feet of snow on the fairways here! Guess that means its still hockey season not golf season. :groovy: :D

hockey4
03-04-2006, 01:08 PM
It must be frustrating being a blazer fan knowing that you not only didnt get in to the playoffs, but you didnt get in with a very old team

Sput
03-04-2006, 02:11 PM
To put it in perspective tho, if Kamloops were in another division (with the record they have right now) they would be solidly in either second or third. Even if the playoff format were top 8 teams in the conference, the Blazers would still be in the playoffs. Ya, it looks like, right now, they won't make the post season, but they do look like they will finish with a .500 or better season. Hopefully with expansion talks going on again, the board of gov's will look at the playoff format and make some appropriate changes to reflect on performance, and not running into a weaker/stronger division for standings.

scamperdog
03-05-2006, 12:07 AM
I guess the blazer's are going to give the fans a rollercoaster ride for one more week after a 4-1 win tonight. I would like to believe they can make that final game mean something but two against Van and two against Kelowna before then thats a pretty big wall to climb plus PG needs to struggle the next two weeks thats just not very good odds, but here to a hope and prayer

Scoring
1. KAM Rome, (26) (Bartley), 13:50 (PP)
1. P.G Zimmer, (20) (Sagert, Cooper), 19:50 (PP)
2. KAM Kassian, (5) (Macias, Stretch), 16:21
2. KAM Gutierrez, (15) (Bartley, Tesliuk), 17:05
Penelties
1 - KAM Bartley, 3:02 - Ob-Tripping , 2 min (PP)
1 - KAM Bender, 5:53 - Tripping , 2 min (PP)
1 - P.G Sagert, 13:13 - Holding , 2 min (PP)
1 - P.G Featherstone, 15:05 - Cross Checking , 2 min (PP)
1 - KAM Bender, 17:54 - Tripping , 2 min (PP)
1 - KAM Bartley, 18:37 - High Sticking , 2 min
1 - P.G Hunter, 18:37 - Cross Checking , 2 min
2 - P.G Tyrell, 2:01 - Tripping , 2 min (PP)
2 - P.G Hunter, 4:12 - Cross Checking , 2 min (PP)
2 - P.G Featherstone, 10:25 - Interference , 2 min (PP)
2 - KAM Mason, 13:36 - Holding , 2 min (PP)
2 - P.G Featherstone, 14:40 - USC Diving , 2 min
2 - KAM White, 14:40 - Ob-Holding , 2 min
Three Stars
1. KAM - 7 Victor Bartley
2. KAM - 30 Devan Dubnyk
3. P.G - 19 Dana Tyrell

Cougar Guy
03-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Exactly scamperdog. I did a quick calculation and PG is guaranteed a playoff spot if we play anything over 0.500 for our remaining games, even if Kamloops goes 5-0. When you start looking at the various scenerio's, it will take a mini miracle for the Blazers to advance.