PDA

View Full Version : Swift Current Fans

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
03-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Interesting article in the Prairie Post this week.

Cheers and jeers for Bronco fans

By Aasa Marshall

Section A was the place to be at last Friday’s Bronco game. As the team played the Red Deer Rebels — the one team they’re leading in the standings — on Pack the House night, the fans of Section A danced and cheered, hooted and chanted, shook their noise makers and their money-makers. They did what hockey fans are supposed to do: they erupted when their team scored, staying on their feet in an outpouring of support, and singing that soccer hooligan anthem “O-lay olay olay o-lay”. They chanted “Goal! Goal! Goal!” when the refs were debating whether or not the puck slipped past the goal line after the whistle blew. They heckled the opposing goalie.

The rest of the arena didn’t seem to get it.

While Section A gave the Broncos everything they had by way of support and enthusiasm, the rest of the rink seemed determined to counteract everything done by their rowdy counterparts. Only after each of the Broncos’ two goals did the entire rink voice their support together. For the rest of the game, no matter what the boys did, every section from B to Q stayed firmly planted to their seats. Sure, if something exciting happened they applauded politely, while Section A screamed and carried on; but there was no excitement. There was no passion for the game.

In case you didn’t know, the people in Section A were those who’d taken the fan bus to Moose Jaw on Feb. 21 and out-cheered the Warrior fans. Bronco staff thought if they grouped those fans together again they would be able to get the rest of the rink to join in, cheer on their team in one intimidating voice. They thought it would make the game fun for everyone and it would improve the atmosphere of the whole arena.

The only thing that became apparent throughout the game, as Section A cheered their hearts out, was how little the rest of the rink was getting into the spirit.

“We’re not cheering without a really good reason,” the other sections seemed to be saying to the players. “You’ve got to work for our support.”

Work they did. After the second period the team was up 2-0. It seemed maybe the rest of the rink didn’t think the boys needed the encouragement.

At the beginning of the third the Rebels scored a quick one to narrow the score. “Surely now, with such a tight game, they’ll give the team some support,” I thought. But nothing changed.

When Red Deer tied the game, the crowd seemed to resign itself to defeat. “We knew this was going to happen,” said the silent sitters, while Section A’s collective voice grew hoarse.

Overtime. If ever there would be cheering fans, it would be in overtime.

There was a bit more ruckus from the rest of the rink as the sudden-death period began, the silent masses managed to eek out some encouragement while Section A continued full-force.

When the red light started swirling behind Kyle Moir’s head, the rink emptied quickly and quietly: but only one section of fans had the right to feel let down. As I walked out of the arena, the first comment I heard was the bitter musings of a fan not from Section A: “Geezus — what will it take for those guys to win one?”

Here’s an idea — maybe knowing that more than one small lonely section of die-hards actually cares about the outcome of the game would help.

I’m not going to suggest fans can go out and win a game for a team, but here’s a reality check: if ever there was a night that Bronco fans were going to band together and rock the rink as one hockey-loving entity, it was last Friday night. The rink was full, the boys had won three games in a row, they are fighting in the dying stages of the regular season to stay ahead of the very team with whom they shared the ice that night. The fans in Section A were begging the rest of the rink to join them, and the rest of the rink declined. It was almost painful to watch the Section A fans chanting “LETS-GO-BRON-COS” while waving penny-filled pop bottles in the air, and then to glance over at the very next section to see everyone sitting stock-still and tight-lipped.

Over the course of the season, as I’ve interviewed new and veteran Broncos, they’ve each told me the same thing — that although Swift Current is the smallest of the WHL towns, it has the best fans in the league. Swift Current is so supportive of its team, they say, so enthusiastic about hockey, that it’s a pleasure to play for them.

I’m starting to think they’ve been overly gracious. While the team may, for the second year in a row, be struggling to score goals, that’s no excuse for such a showing of fair-weather fans. No team will make the playoffs every year of its existence. No team can avoid re-building years, slumps, frustrations, but one thing every team should be able to count on is the support of its fans. The fans still come to the games, attendance isn’t bad, but it seems that they do so only to for the chance to cast criticsm where ever possible.

While the Broncos didn’t win the game last Friday, it was the fans that truly lost. It seems they have forgotten hockey is a game, and games are supposed to be fun — not just for those participating, but for those watching as well. In order to get enjoyment out of being a spectator, you have to participate, you have to get involved. If the rest of the rink had joined Section A and roared and chanted and danced throughout the game, I would be writing a different column — I would have some scathing words for the team, and how they let down their ever-supportive fans. Instead, it’s the people who were in the stands who were disappointing, not the ones on the ice. Swift Current, if you think having a WHL franchise is a good thing for your city, if you think it’s worth spending millions of dollars to improve the Civic Centre to ensure the team stays here, and if you really claim to be a fan of hockey, maybe it’s time to prove it.

Toswammi
03-03-2006, 03:18 PM
That is one amazing ariticle. Couldnt have said it any better. That game was a fun game, heck with the exception of maybe the game against the hat here earlier when we beat them, i havnt had that much fun. It really is a shame that there are more ppl in this city willing to ***** instead of cheer. Its amazing that i actually believed that this my work, and the rink would rock, guess i was wrong to assume.
In any event, for all those that were in that section, how about doing that for the playoffs (assuming we get in). I figure we might as well join together to cheer in the playoffs together instead of being dispersed around the arena. Oh and most important of all, have fun at a hockey game.

section q
03-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Great article. She is exactly right, the only fans being fans and enjoying the game last Friday night were the people in Section A. Everyone else did what they always do and sat on their hands for the most part. My concern is that when the expansion is made to the Civic Centre the rink will be even quieter. Think about it, the team hasn't sold out a game this season in a rink that seats roughly 2500. Other than when the team scores a goal, which hasn't been often this year, the crowd is extremely quiet and reserved. When 600 seats get added and their are still around 1900-2000 quiet fans in the building the place will not only be very quiet, it will also look horrible, with all the empty seats.

Offsider
03-03-2006, 05:01 PM
I am in section K and had my noise maker and always do my share of cheering but besides section A most of the rest of the fans should have stayed home and listened to the radio . tired of people giving dirty looks when you cheer . how do we get the boring people of there Butts .if the boring people want to complain about the Broncos they only need to look in the mirror to see what 1/2 the problem is. BE THE SEVENTH MAN!!!!

ointhecreek
03-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I am in section K and had my noise maker and always do my share of cheering but besides section A most of the rest of the fans should have stayed home and listened to the radio .
If everyone did that it would become the Edmonton Broncos. Get real people! if everyone stayed home there would be no Broncos, it takes butts in the seats, cheering or not, to financially support this team. DO NOT tell people to stay home and listen on the radio. Who do you people think you are to tell people what to do after they pay their money? You have to remember that alot of these people are seniors and aren't about to start jumping up and down and screaming. The problem is that there are not enough younger, 20 to 30 year old people at the games. The Broncos need to draw this group to the rink some how.
Who picks the prize winners anyhow? I see alot of friends getting pizzas and other prizes by the kid who helps hand them out . Why buy a program when they don't make any draws from the numbers. And how about a draw from season ticket holders each game. I think they deserve something.
I know section A did a fine job that night and comend them for their energy, but I also noticed more noise in the rink then usual. There was older people around me clapping to the chants and music that rarely did before. And to me the rink was more enthusiastic then before. Not as loud as some rinks and not as loud as could be but better then before. Give people some credit and quit patting yourselves on the back! Keep cheering and it may catch on!

transplantedbronco
03-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I was in section A last friday and had the most fun at a hockey game in SWIFT CURRENT in about 2 yrs. That was a blast. After the game and talking to people I was upset. They said that was the only section making noise. You are right Offsider people do give dirty looks when you cheer. I used to stand behind the net and alot of people thought we were a circus side show. But forget all that. The Broncos deserve better and if cheering makes some upset so be it right now I dont care. Lets be LOUD AND PROUD. :groovy:

d-man
03-03-2006, 06:04 PM
:clap: Aasa really nailed it so glad to see a local reporter brave enough to tell it like it really is. The barn was louder than usual that night but has a long way to go. To those of us who do cheer and support the boys keep it up it will eventually catch on - it takes time to break the old habits in swift.

ointhecreek your right - NO ONE should stay at home on game night - theres 5 games in a row left at home lets be LOUD & PROUD and pack the barn.

Any way we can get switzer back in the stands please........

sectionL
03-03-2006, 06:04 PM
I agree with ointhecreek, our fans avg age group is much older then most. But funny the older fans are paying the bills by buying tickets. Keep the bodies in the rink rather then trying to brag about how ya outcheered the rest of the rink. Pretty sure a couple of years ago section L was the only loud section in the rink, where were you then. Fans have the right to be a bit peeved when their trying to watch the game and this horn is blowing in their ear for 59 minutes a game. Theirs cheering and then theirs being obnoxious, do majority of your cheering in between plays. When your an athlete playing, you dont hear the noise around you when your playing, let them know you appreciate them after the play. Im not saying dont have a go broncos go chant going but let people recover from the last one. Quarter punder, remember their is life after bronco hockey.

03-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey now Section L, what else is there for me now that I'm one of the few left. :laugh:

Ointhecreek,You're right about a majority of the attendence coming from the local seniors, but I know for a fact they can still cheer.

Recently in Moose Jaw, there was an older gentleman in attendence, easily in his 70's who came from Swift, seperate from the bus, and cheered and chanted along with the rest of the crew. He later came over and told us that his voice was hoarse and tired from chanting, but he was having fun!

That is the attitude we need from our crowd. Sure, they don't have to cheer the entire game, but put at least a little effort out there to show you still care. The negativity coming from this town is almost getting overwhelming, especially when you have to hear it from 3/4's of the fans when leaving the rink.

Yes, they are not the 1989 or 1993 Broncos. So what? We're still getting some top class hockey here in a league that would be envied elsewhere in the world.

Go to the rink, not just to complain, but have some fun there. What better ways could there be to spend your Friday and Saturday evenings?

sectionL
03-03-2006, 06:17 PM
the negativity is always going to be their, its in every rink everywhere. The fans pay the money they can say what they didnt like about the game. Recently on my travels, stopping at a gas station in moose jaw, i heard a couple of men talking about how their team needed to pick up their play and how their powerplay should be more effective. Moose Jaw is a top team in the league and their fans are criticizing, thats hockey.

ointhecreek
03-03-2006, 08:32 PM
You will always hear complaining when they lose. You can't expect people to be happy. The complaining will always happen the most when people are leaving the rink because it is fresh in their minds and are greatly disappointed but it usually wears off next day as they realize what a good game they witnessed. You don't hear complaining when they win. At least thats how I feel.

Flathead
03-04-2006, 12:50 AM
I kinda took offense to the article, I'm not in section "A", but I cheer my butt off. People have told me that I'm heard on the other side of the rink. yes section A was by far the loudest, but not the only ones cheering.
"It was almost painful to watch the Section A fans chanting “LETS-GO-BRON-COS” while waving penny-filled pop bottles in the air, and then to glance over at the very next section to see everyone sitting stock-still and tight-lipped." Did whoever wrote this article actually see everyone in the next section stock still and tight lipped, umm no. I understand the point trying to be made, and yes no section was louder and prouder than section A, but there are people in other sections that cheer. Could and should it be louder, definetly but I've also been to a lot quieter rinks, Saskatoon, Regina, Lethbridge. I thought the sales of beer would have brought some younger people to the games, and it probally would if we had more weekend games. Like said before, something has to tried to bring the 20-30 year olds to the rink.

Scout
03-04-2006, 08:22 AM
I sat in Section A for the game and had a riot. This rink could be rocking and maybe if all are kept together for the rest of the season and play-offs in Section A it would catch on. I remember looking over in Section B and some of the fans were looking at us like we were weird but it was still fun. We are all to reserved including myself when we are spread out. As for older people being at the games and being reserved, your right but i was on the Bronco fan bus and there was some elderly people who came along and they joined in no problem with the cheering. I think it's the atmosphere we created for ourselves that it's a small community in which everyone knows everyone. I had one older guy tell me it was way to loud and he almost left. Is that not what we are supposed to do is cheer? The players appreciate the noise as they showed in Moose Jaw when they left the ice after the game they all held their sticks in the air towards our section as a salute and thank-you. I can't pick on anybody for being to quiet as i'm the same when i'm in a section and everyone around me is quiet so i am reserved about being a stand-out and cheering. Maybe it's time we helped the team along by being the seventh man by cheering Loud and Proud. The quietness may go back to when some people complained about the noise so they outlawed some noise makers. Look at Houstons Suite. They put up an air horn, someone complained it was to loud so they added a second one. As for Switzer being in the stands, that was a great idea. Good job Ryan on going against the grain and doing something different.

Scout

Willis on the Welfare
03-04-2006, 11:40 AM
I think the article was great in commending section A, but let's not be too hard on the 2200 other fans who paid their hard earned dough to get in.

Many of you know me, I was in section A, it was the most fun I've had at the rink in years. I think section A is a testement to how great hockey fans in Swift Current are. Section A kicked Med Hat, Everett and any other "loudest barn in dub's *****". The rest of the rink needs one thing...patience.

Medicine Hat was dead for years, now they get loud and have a waiting list for tickets. A quiet rink is a symptom of rebuilding. Let's be honest, the casual fan hasn't had alot to cheer about.

The boys are starting to change that. Talk about starting to win at the right time!

With each win, the rink will get louder and louder. It would be nice if everyone had the passion and loyalty of section A, but a noisy barn isn't built overnight. Sections B through Q are rebuilding just like the team. What we did against Red Deer was the equivalent of putting our best players on the same line.

It's like Don Cherry says on The Eagle. "Hey Swift Current, you've got a great coach, he's a tough guy and the teams on the right track". You gotta believe the team's on the right track and our fans are too.

Willi$

Chuckles
03-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Guys i would have to agree maybe it a rebuilding time for sections.. at the start of this year the rink was quiet we decide it was time for a change. I'v always been a loud fan but i brought friends and we started to get louder. Met up with some interesting people who we now cheer with almost all the time in section L. About mid way threw the season we even have some older fellas behind us getting into our cheering in section L its great. I have had more fun at hockey games this year than ever before. I try to respect my fellow fans and i love to hear people cheer. And as for the players not being able to hear you on the ice.. I would disagree one person yelling ok fine but you get some people going a crew of you. You can hear it on the ice... Just try it chant a players name and see what happens.. I found this works well with ned. We tried it in Regina and it like he got that extra step even when his legs weren't working right.. But i just hope we are setting this up for a good strong effort into the play offs this year. Just some good hockey being played. It all works to better our team for the future. Which we have a young team with lots to look forward. Hope our young guys get health soon and back into the line up. Lets win one in Dead Rear tointe..

Go broncos Go

and i'm in for trying to rock section A again i enjoyed it soo much i would gladdy do it again.. I"m also up for expanding and see whats happening.

and one more thing this guy from section L if you really have a problem with noise.. just bring ear plugs. :D

ointhecreek
03-04-2006, 01:49 PM
I think the article was great in commending section A, but let's not be too hard on the 2200 other fans who paid their hard earned dough to get in.
My feelings excactly, I felt insulted. Makes a person feel like they're wasting their time if they are not in section A! I don't think she was ever in any other part of the rink, or maybe section A just drowned everyone else out.

Medicine Hat was dead for years, now they get loud and have a waiting list for tickets.
Was there, witnessed it, you could hear a pin drop!

With each win, the rink will get louder and louder. It would be nice if everyone had the passion and loyalty of section A, but a noisy barn isn't built overnight. Sections B through Q are rebuilding just like the team. What we did against Red Deer was the equivalent of putting our best players on the same line.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Great post Willis! I think you explained a lot of peoples feelings about that article. I commend you! Willis for mayor!!

d-man
03-04-2006, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=ointhecreek] I don't think she was ever in any other part of the rink, or maybe section A just drowned everyone else out.

Actually I saw her in a wide variety of sections all night including the luxury boxes. I think she had a very true view of that game. Lets say other than switzer she was the only media not watching section A from the press box across the rink.

The boys started their roll in MJ the fans roll has only started. With 5 home games to go in a row the excitement will spread and the roof will explode by playoff time.

ointhecreek
03-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Actually I saw her in a wide variety of sections all night including the luxury boxes. I think she had a very true view of that game. Lets say other than switzer she was the only media not watching section A from the press box across the rink.
Then she didn't get a true feeling of the crowd. Yes, section A was the loudest by far, but don't insult the rest of the crowd by saying everyone was sitting on their hands, they were not! I know in my section people were clapping and yelling at the ref and cheering and usually it's one of the quietist. To me there was electicity in the air and the rink was humming until Red Deer tied it up. It could be alot noisier but it was alot better then the library we usualy watch hockey in. Like I said before, you will never get the senior citizens jumping up and down dancing. Usually their health won't let them. Get the younger crowd in the building!

sectionL
03-04-2006, 07:05 PM
just wondering chuckles, was that comment on ear plugs directed at me.

Toswammi
03-05-2006, 12:14 PM
The question remains: How do you get the youth to the games? Do you use the gen-x ticket pricing strategy? This organization has done so much to not only get the younger crowd in, but get ppl from the city to games. (We all know that a good chunk of the crowd dont live in the city of swift current)

Toswammi
03-05-2006, 12:16 PM
As far as the noise i agree it will take time. When the building has historically been quiet (they used to ban noisemakers) it will take time, and i can honestly believe that the place has gotten louder throughout the year.

ointhecreek
03-05-2006, 12:41 PM
The question remains: How do you get the youth to the games?
A good question! They sell beer in the stands now, decent rock music most of the time, there has to be something else, just that this older brain of mine doesn't think that way anymore, lol. Maybe the broncos should do some kind of survey of the younger crowd to see what would bring them in, what they would like to see at a Bronco game. Might get some decent ideas.

Willis on the Welfare
03-05-2006, 01:13 PM
I know that Quarter Pounder with cheese is by definition a "youth". What do you enjoy about the games? How can we get more people like you to the games?

CatFan
03-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Don't let this happen to you guys, be "loud and proud" as our slogan goes. Unfortunately, the great atmosphere in Medicine Hat is slowly disappearing. Too many older season ticket holders, that have been spoiled for a couple of years and take winning for granted already. I'm hoping the playoffs will bring the young and rowdy fans back in, when the people who have season tickets and sit on their butts all year don't want to pay playoff prices. One thing I have noticed here in the Hat and I'm wondering if it has become the same in all arenas, is that the P.A. system is constantly full of advertising and announcements even when the teams are playing, hardly any time left to even play any music to get the fans going. This drives me crazy, and I find it very distracting while play is going on. Once upon a time they would cut off any announcements, etc. once the puck was dropped. Sometimes I think the constant barrage of ads is like sitting in front of a TV and watching hour after hour of commercials. This would put any fan to sleep!! Anyway, hope to see you guys in the playoffs (again!!), and look forward to the road trips!!!

03-05-2006, 02:33 PM
In my youthful wisdom, let me see if I can provide a little insight into what could be done to attract the 18-24 fanbase to more Bronco games.

Is it the fact that this demographic doesn't enjoy hockey? No. This may be one of the most ravenous, hungry group of hockey fans out on the market, spending their Saturday evenings watching Hockey Night In Canada faithfully with their groups of friends.

The WHL is obviously the best hockey product available in the Southwest, as close as we'll ever get to NHL quality action, but one of the complaints I hear often from friends who are out in the workforce trying to save money to return to their schooling, is that they find it too expensive to go.

Something that could be done to help this would be for a program to be initiated such as the one they had back in my early school years, where tickets could be provided by a local business perhaps, that could be donated to the local college and given out to students.

Think about going to games, like the Riders. What's one thing that you notice there when it comes to younger fans? They all sit in the same section! It would be great if even after the Civic Center expansion, there was one section for the louder, rowdier fans to sit where there aren't older gentlemen constantly telling them to sit down when an exciting play or a fight is happening on the ice.

Merchandise is another thing that could really help attract and retain younger fans. How about selling jerseys at a special student rate? New products such as Bronco Thunder Sticks? Bronco foam fingers? I know of people that can't stand the Calgary Flames, but go to Flames games because they love the gear so much. We have a great new logo, let's use it to our advantage.

Other than that, I think the staff has done a great job at trying to attract younger fans to the rink through the various promotions they've held, and welcoming attitude. Keep up the promotion guys, and they will come.

Just my feelings, I know there are a few fans from the demographic I just refered to on here too. Feel free to speak up guys.