Most Improved Player (from last year to now):Steve Dasilva/Chad Greenan
Most Improved Player (start of season to now):Andrew Bailey
Best Shot:Adam Cracknell
Best Passer: Dale Mahovsky
Best Faceoff Man: Dale Mahovsky
Best Rookie:John Negrin
Most Exciting Player to Watch:Ryan Russell
Most Surprising Player: Andrew Bailey
Most Disappointing Player: Dustin Sylvester (points wise)
Toughest Player: Dalyn Flatt
Best Fighter: Casey Lee (Flatt hasn't fought enough yet to say)
Best Hitter/Body-checker:Adam Cracknell
Fan Favorite:Ryan Russell
Best Shot At The NHL:Ben Maxwell
Best Prospects:John Negrin
Biggest Disappointment This Year (overall):Kel/Van weekend
Players With The Most Potential/Upside: John Negrin/Dustin Sylvester

Chipper
03-04-2006, 09:35 AM
That is a good summery and I can't see that I would change any of the entries. I hope they can all live up to it as we head to the playoffs. We have our work cut out for us now and the first round of the playoffs may be the toughest this year to win.

Bomber
03-04-2006, 11:06 AM
I don't know how Sylvester could be contrued as a disapointement. Considering the amount of playing time he's got - for the first half of the season he was lucky to get two shifts a night - and considering his linemates are for the most part Wiens and Welsh, you can see why he doesn't exactly light it up.

Take the last two games into account where's he's played more and more on the third line with Bailey and Psurny and then last night when he had someone (like Cracknell) to feed him. He had more chances and time last night than all season long and look at the result - second star.

Give the kid some upper body strength, someone to play with and he'll be an offensive force in this league.

stewie
03-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Enjoyed reading the fans choice list. Where did you get it? :)

In the crowd
03-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Enjoyed reading the fans choice list. Where did you get it? :)

I just copied and pasted it from the Saskatoon board.

In the crowd
03-04-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't know how Sylvester could be contrued as a disapointement.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by this pick. But, when I think back about 5 years I rember a small forward named Nigel Dawes. He put up 34 points in 54 games or so as a rookie. Sylvester put up quite a bit of points last year in the KIJHL as a 15 year old, and I guess I was kinda hoping that some of that success would carry over to this year. I wasn't expecting a point per game or anything, but I thought 25-30pts for such an offensive minded player would have been a lock for him. I was wrong. Don't get me wrong though, I think he looks good and will become an offensive force in this league.I see he scored his first goal last night, to bad I missed the game. I'm sure i'll see him score more though

Bomber
03-05-2006, 12:47 PM
It's tough to compare Dawes and Sylvester because at the time Dawes had better upper body strength but still was knocked off the puck a lot. If you remember Dawes was banged around just as much in his first year. The difference is who they're playing with and how much time they're getting. By the mid-point of the season Dawes had firmly planted himself on the third line with Adam Taylor and Shaun Norrie.
Add to that Dawes was getting secondary pp time, in which he made the most of.

Comparisons to Dawes at the same stage are obviously going to come because of their similar statures but one look at who Dawes was playing with and the amount of time, tells the real story.

Sylvester has ventured off the fourth line five or six times this season and almost all of occurred this past weekend. Put him in the same position and playing with guys like the aforementioned and you'd have better numbers. Even Dawes would have trouble scoring playing with Welsh and Wiens. Dawes got 15 g and 19 assists that season. Sylvester might not have those numbers but they'd probably be close.

In the crowd
03-05-2006, 08:10 PM
To me it's like comparing apples and apples, they were both small, fast offensive players coming into this league. I'm sure if sylvester started putting up #'s, like Bailey has been, he'd be on the third line. Comparing apples and oranges would be more like comparing Dawes to Negrin.

Bomber
03-06-2006, 10:55 AM
You still off base with the comparison. Put Dawes on the fourth line all season in 01-02 and he doesn't score 15 goals, guaranteed. If you're not on the ice then it's pretty tough to score.

And comparing Dawes to Negrin? Now you're not even in the same basket. Negrin's a defenseman. Compare him to McCarthy maybe.

In the crowd
03-06-2006, 03:56 PM
You still off base with the comparison. Put Dawes on the fourth line all season in 01-02 and he doesn't score 15 goals, guaranteed. If you're not on the ice then it's pretty tough to score.

And comparing Dawes to Negrin? Now you're not even in the same basket. Negrin's a defenseman. Compare him to McCarthy maybe.

I don't get what your getting at anymore. I wasn't comparing Dawes and Negrin, I was saying comparing these two would be like comparing apples and oranges more so than comparing Dawes and sylvester. I think comparing Dawes and Sylvester as young players, is as close a comparison as you can get to the type of players they are.

I guess Dawes did something right to get on the third line, and I expected Sylvester to do something to get on the third line as well, he didn't, i'm dissapointed. oh well. A dissapointment to me, and not to you. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

In the crowd
03-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Anybody, am I way off comparing Sylvester to Dawes as far as expectations of what Sylvester was gonna do for us?

I'm not trying to cut down Sylvester in any way, I see a good future in him, I just thought we'd see more offensive output from him after the season he had last year.

Am I really OUT TO LUNCH?

Chipper
03-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Anybody, am I way off comparing Sylvester to Dawes as far as expectations of what Sylvester was gonna do for us?

I'm not trying to cut down Sylvester in any way, I see a good future in him, I just thought we'd see more offensive output from him after the season he had last year.

Am I really OUT TO LUNCH?
I think I can see were you are comeing from. Nigel as a sixteen year old sold himself on the Ice and was rewarded with lots of ice time, he took full advantage of it filling the nets and proving the coaching staff that he belongs there and who could argue. With Dustin I am sure if he excelled with his Ice time he too would have been rewarded with more and better chances. You have to burry your oportunities and steal Ice time from other members of the team. The coaches are going to reward you for that. I think Dustin is going to have a great future with the Ice and I am sure he will come into his own and show all what he is capable of doing. Not everyone can do it as a sixteen year old, look at what Maxwell has done this year compared to last year. I think a better comparison will be next year compairing against his last season and watching the improvements.

Bomber
03-07-2006, 02:33 AM
But my argument centers on the whole possibility that if Dustin had Nigel's time as a sixteen year old, on the third line and some pp time, you would very similar results.
Give him Bailey's icetime playing with DaSilva and Billsten and he have numbers closer to Dawes'. Or at least then you could have the discussion.

In the crowd
03-07-2006, 11:52 AM
I do agree that Sylvester would have better #'s on the third line, but, at the beginning of the season, I had thought he would've played himself on to that third line to put up decent #'s. That's why I have him as a dissapointment. That is also why I put "points wise" after his name on that list, I do think he looks good out there. Pretty much what I've seen from Sylvester and Bailey, I had expected to be the other way around. I don't think it's that far fetched to compare a 3rd liner to a 4th liner, and that is my opinion. Calling someone's opinion out to lunch would be slandering one's opinion which on this site there is no place for. This isn't the whiteboard.