PDA

View Full Version : Alex Leavitt story on NHL.com

Rooselk
03-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Leavitt has been just Aces in Alaska

By Len Bardsley | NHL.com correspondent
Mar. 3, 2006

Alex Leavitt or Davis Payne? It's tough to determine who had more confidence Leavitt was going to be a success with the Alaska Aces during his rookie season, the player or coach, Payne.

The nod may have to go to Payne.

Payne felt a player with a background in an NCAA Division I program like Wisconsin, along with good junior numbers on a team coached by Kevin Constantine, would probably fit in well with the Aces' style.

Leavitt is having more than a little success with the Aces. The 22-year-old forward from Edmonton leads all rookies with 18 goals and 51 assists in 55 games heading into the weekend. Leavitt is third overall in the ECHL in scoring behind Garrett Bembridge of the Idaho Steelheads and Aces teammate Mike Scott.

"I knew of him late last spring," Payne said. "We knew his agent and the program he came out of. We knew he was a guy we would like to have."

Payne knew right were to put Leavitt on his roster of talented forwards.

"He has played most of the year with Mike Scott and Chris Minard or Joe Talbot," Payne said. "They are good bookends for a young center. He has confidence in his abilities and the confidence to make plays. He has the knack to handle the puck for a little longer to have the play open up. For a young guy, he has really good skill and good composure."

The Aces and Payne felt like a good match for Leavitt.

"He talked to me and laid out where he thought the team was going and it looked like a good fit," Leavitt said. "I had a number of friends I played junior with who were familiar with teams in the league. Once I started getting recruited I did a little more research and anyone I talked too had nothing but good things to say about the Aces franchise."

Leavitt's passing skills and skating ability, along with the finishing skills of his linemates make for a perfect combination on the Aces' big ice surface at Sullivan Arena.

"The last two months it has really come together," Leavitt said. "At the beginning of the season it was difficult. We were a little off to start the season with a lot of new guys in the lineup. We had to learn to play together. It is nice to play with guys like Mike Scott, Joe Talbot and Chris Minard, they can get open and finish their chances."

Leavitt played 67 games over two seasons at the University of Wisconsin before leaving for the Western Hockey League. Leavitt played for the Swift Current Broncos before joining former NHL coach Constantine with the Everett Silvertips.

Leavitt admits it took some time for him to adapt to the Olympic-size ice surface at Sullivan Arena.

"I would say about half (Wisconsin's opponents) had the Olympic ice," Leavitt said. "All of the juniors were NHL size. It was a change, getting used to it again. I found myself out of position in the beginning. This whole year has been a learning experience."

Payne feels Leavitt is a perfect player for the bigger surface. "There is no secret you get a little more time to make plays and maneuver," Payne said of the bigger surface. "He does a great job handling that situation. Our team is build for guys who can skate and handle the puck."

Leavitt has enjoyed the atmosphere in Anchorage, comparing it to another sports-crazed city, Madison.

"It is kind of like a college feel," said Leavitt. "There are Aces posters and signs all over town. The team is the one main draw. We get great support. It is a great place to play."

http://www.nhl.com/features/echl/echl030306.html ((Story Link))