PDA

View Full Version : Tomanek Suspended Indefinately

Tipped Off
03-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Seattle played without its leading scorer, left wing Roman Tomanek. Tomanek was suspended indefinitely by the team for unspecified reasons. Sumner said Tomanek will not play again tonight.

from today's Everett Herald...excerpts from last night's game story:

http://heraldnet.com/stories/06/03/04/100spo_f1tips001.cfm

Triton
03-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Tomanek has been suspended for the rest of the regular season.What did Tomanek do that was so bad that they felt he needed to be suspended for the remainder of the season?

Jimmypop316
03-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Probably broke team rules, and when it comes to teenagers you never know.

Dwight Schrute
03-08-2006, 03:15 AM
it would be interesting to at least have a clue released. like legal or personal or homesick, just something so people would stop guessing

Tipped Off
03-08-2006, 10:51 AM
....many people feel they are still very young and shuldn't mention what happened. I'm with you, though, people will imagine the worst. I mean, by the time it's over, if you don't count the playoffs, it will have been a 10 game suspension. Like you said, what was so bad as to cause a 10 day suspension? People's guesses will many times be much worse than the truth. Here's the latest information I have seen...

From NW briefs in the local paper:
T-birds' top scorer sent back to Slovakia
Roman Tomanek, the top scorer for the Seattle Thunderbirds this season with 42 points, has been suspended for the remainder of the season and the Western Hockey League playoffs and been sent home to Bystrica, Slovakia.

Tomanek, a fourth-round selection (103rd overall) in the 2004 NHL entry draft, had 17 goals this season. Seattle general manager Russ Farwell declined to comment on the reasons for Tomanek's departure other than to say he would not play for the team again this season and left Seattle on Tuesday.

Triton
03-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Wow.The playoffs too.It must have been bad for the GM to send home one of it's best players right before the playoffs.With Tomanek gone Seattle's done in round 1.I hope it was worth it.

Triton
03-08-2006, 11:08 AM
I guess winning isn't that important in Seattle.

Tipped Off
03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
It's hard to know if it is the team over reacting (such as maybe a shouting match with a coach) or if the player did something so bad they don't want him around anymore (we could only imagine what that might be). We just don't know....and sometimes, as I stated before, that is much worse than knowing.

Tipped Off
03-08-2006, 12:27 PM
I found this excerpt on Hockeys future regarding a preview of Tomanek:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/roman_tomanek

Talent Analysis

Tomanek is a dynamic forward with excellent ratings in all aspects of skating and puckhandling. He has the confidence to attempt plays and moves that only world-class players can pull off (think Robbie Schremp at the CHL Top Prospects Game), and he often succeeds. Despite his smaller stature, Tomanek is a fearless forechecker, and is quite zealous in his pursuit of the puck in the offensive zone. He has been lauded for his keen hockey sense, and has shown adeptness as reading the play both offensively and defensively.

What scares scouts about Tomanek? The off-ice and maturity issues in his life, and the lack of desire to improve himself.

During games against teams of weaker competition, or games of little consequence, Tomanek was noticeably disinterested and had trouble maintaining the high level of play that he had shown against better opposition. His lack of interest on the defensive end hurt his own team, and he tended to get by on his offensive skills alone.

Off the ice, Tomanek ran into some trouble with bad influences when he was playing, for a short time, in Bratislava’s system. Tomanek was more concerned with ‘having fun’, rather than training and preparing for games.

Dwight Schrute
03-08-2006, 02:27 PM
they sure got him out of the country quick though. i wish they would just print a partial reason so the speculation stops. the people of seattle that pay to see him play deserve to have a decent reason given to them.the last guy i heard of who was suspended for 10 games (it might have been 13 though) and the playoffs was bertuzzi. this could spiral and ruin the kids chances at north american pro hockey

Redwic
03-08-2006, 10:41 PM
The WinterHawks might FINALLY be able to get out of the First Round, for like the first time in five seasons.

If the Thunderbirds organization is going to be so harsh as to jeopardize their season... and possibly Tomanek's individual hockey career... by suspending their leading scorer indefinitely and sending him back home to Europe, YOU KNOW IT MUST BE BAD.

Perhaps it has been difficult for him to adjust to our culture and rules?

They really should have found a way to keep Tolpeko...

nelson951
03-09-2006, 01:23 AM
They beat Everett without him Saturday, Greg Scott replacing him with 2 goals( shoulda had a hattrick!~)
They can win without Tomaneck.

nelson951
03-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Notebook: T-birds move forward after loss of Tomanek
By Jim Riley

Special to The Seattle Times

When leading scorer Roman Tomanek was suspended by the Seattle Thunderbirds for the rest of the season and sent home to Slovakia on Monday, it was a jolt that could have split the team apart.
Although the T-birds have declined to divulge the nature of Tomanek's transgression, Sumner said his punishment has not been a source of debate among the team.

"We've had lengthy discussions with individuals, with small groups and with the whole group," Sumner said. "Everybody understands the direction we're going and agrees with it. It's over and we've all moved on."

The T-birds are 2-1-0-0 since Tomanek was suspended and have won their last two in a row to solidify their second-place standing in the Western Hockey League's U.S. Division.

Seattle (32-28-1-4) has clinched a playoff spot and has seven games left in the regular season. The Thunderbirds are six points ahead of Portland and eight ahead of Tri-City and have one game in hand against both teams.

"With the playoffs coming, we're determined to get the home-ice, second-place spot," Sumner said. "We've lost a little bit of skill in our lineup, but at this time of year it's team play that's going to make you successful."

The T-birds play in Kelowna today, then are home at KeyArena against Portland on Saturday and Spokane on Sunday.

Sumner likes the way his team is rounding into playoff form.

"I've been happy with a lot of things lately," Sumner said. "You're never completely satisfied, but we've been playing pretty well."

Sounds like it was a longer term problem