PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks sign Alexander

scamperdog
03-05-2006, 09:54 PM
The No. 1 free agent on the open market is now off the market.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Seattle Seahawks have agreed to terms with Pro-Bowl running back Shaun Alexander on a whopping eight-year, $62 million deal that includes a total of more than $15 million in the first year in bonuses (signing and roster) and salary.

NFL MVP Shaun Alexander will return to Seattle and help the Seahawks try to get back to the Super Bowl. (Harry How / Getty Images)

The Alexander deal is not contingent upon a new CBA getting done as the Seahawks have the necessary cap space to make such a move. However, the contract still has to get approved by the NFL front office and Alexander needs to sign the contract.

The league's MVP was wise to take such a deal as the running back market in free agency will likely be much lower than several big-named veterans may think. In addition, Alexander didn't want to leave the Seahawks.

Alexander broke the NFL's single-season touchdown mark this past season, helping push the Seahawks to the NFC title. Now Seattle must turn their attention to Pro-Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson.

It's unclear how the deal is structured with regards to how much cap space this deal takes up in the first year of the new contract. Seattle had a decent amount of salary cap room heading into this free agent period.

Now that Alexander is off the market Edgerrin James, Chester Taylor and Jamal Lewis as well as DeShaun Foster (transition tag) will try to follow up in a very slim market.

LifelongChiefsFan
03-06-2006, 03:48 AM
I like the fact they kept him.

I don't like the length of the contract. He's supposed to be playing when he's 38?? How many rb's actually last that long.

I haven't heard specifics on the contract, but I am guessing (and hoping) the last 3-4 years or so aren't guaranteed.

The_Vulk
03-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Considering the labour uncertainty in the NFL right now (and the new salary cap amount), and the number of high-priced veterans that are expected to be dropped, this is great news for the Seahawks!

As for the lenght and what-nots, they can always 'renegotiate', as has been known to happen on such long-term contracts.