PDA

View Full Version : NHL trade deadline deals

Triton
03-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Oilers add Roloson

Earlier Wednesday, the Oilers placed backup goalkeeper Mike Morrison on waivers.

(CP) -- The Edmonton Oilers finally have their goalie and his name is Dwayne Roloson.

Oilers GM Kevin Lowe, under immense pressure to acquire a veteran goalie all season long, acquired the 36-year-old Roloson from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for a first-round pick, a source said Wednesday.

Roloson will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and was on the block with the Wild once Manny Fernandez was annointed the No. 1 goalie and signed a three-year extension last week.

Roloson, earning $1.67 million US this season, is 6-17-0 this season with a 3.00 goals against average and .910 save percentage.

Lowe tipped his hand earlier Wednesday when he put No. 3 goalie Mike Morrison on waivers.

The Boston Bruins, meanwhile, picked up winger Mariusz Czerkawski off waivers from Toronto on Wednesday while the Edmonton Oilers placed goalie Mike Morrison on waivers amid speculation a trade was imminent.

Also put on waivers as the Philadelphia Flyers cleared up some cap space was winger Turner Stevenson, who is earning $1.25 million US this season and has another year on his deal for the same price.

"Yes, we put him on waivers," said Philadelphia Flyers GM Bob Clarke, busy working the phones. The Flyers would like to add a forward before the deadline.

The Bruins, meanwhile, figured Czerkawski was worth a pickup. The 33-year-old played in only 19 games with the Maple Leafs this season, scoring four goals and adding one assist while spending most of his time in the press box.

"He hasn't got a chance there and we just needed some forwards," Bruins GM Mike O'Connell said from Boston.

Czerkawski, earning $500,000 US this season, will be an

unrestricted free agent July 1. His best NHL season was 1999-2000 when he had 35 goals and 35 assists with the New York Islanders.

Triton
03-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Luke returns to T.O.

Toronto is a buyer in its first trade ahead of the deadline, picking up defenceman Luke Richardson, while the Sharks have added forward depth acquiring up Ville Nieminen from the Rangers.

Sportsnet.ca -- Veteran Luke Richardson is returning to the city that first brought him into the league.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired Richardson from the Columbus Blue Jackets for a fifth-round draft pick, Sportsnet has learned.

The pick will be for this year's or next year's draft, depending on whether the Leafs make the playoffs.

The 36-year-old blueliner is in his 19th season in the National Hockey League and this will mark his fifth stop.

Richardson was drafted 7th overall in the 1987 entry draft by the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Meanwhile, the New York Rangers have traded forward Ville Nieminen to the San Jose Sharks for a third-round pick.

Details to follow...

SectionNDeserter
03-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Not a bad deal, the Oilers would have picked someone that every other team had listed in the 8th round anyways with their 1st round pick, might as well get something for it. :)

Tinner
03-08-2006, 05:42 PM
The trade the Oilers made better work out. Anybody that gives up a 1st round pick for a 36 year old goaltender should be considered for "dumb move of the decade". sure the goaltending in Edmonton has been less than spectacular, but the price paid was too much. I thought Morrison was going to be a great goalie, but he has shown that he may not be, but give him time. Fuhr, Moog and Ranford weren't great in their 1st 2 seasons either.

Tinner
03-08-2006, 05:50 PM
The New York Islanders have traded forward Mark Parrish and defenceman Brent Sopel to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for defenceman Denis Grebeshkov, forward Jeff Tambellini and a conditional third round pick.

SectionNDeserter
03-08-2006, 06:03 PM
sure the goaltending in Edmonton has been less than spectacular, but the price paid was too much.Maybe, but the Oilers are under a huge amount of pressure to succeed this year. In past seasons the excuse has always been "Well, they eliminated us in the first round because their payroll is three times what ours is!". This excuse no longer flies, couple that with the fact that their problems this season seem to stem from being weak in goal (and partially from having a significant part of their player budget being eaten up by a bad defenseman). Roloson is only a few years removed from being in the all-star game, and Edmonton probably would have drafted Tidball or someone similar with their first round pick, so who knows, it might just work out for them. :confused:

Tinner
03-08-2006, 07:20 PM
The Montreal Canadiens have traded goaltender Jose Theodore to the Colorado Avalanche for netminder David Aebischer.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-08-2006, 08:05 PM
These two teams have made a deal:
New Jersey gets:
D Ken Klee

Toronto gets:
F Alexander Suglobov

I do not really know if this will help the Leafs :confused: ,but I sure hope so!!

Triton
03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
The Montreal Canadiens have traded goaltender Jose Theodore to the Colorado Avalanche for netminder David Aebischer.

As and avid Avs fan this trade totally breaks my heart.I consider myself a self proclaimed worlds largest Aebischer fan.I have 5 Aebischer jersey's,a ton of posters..this trade makes me mad.

SectionNDeserter
03-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I have 5 Aebischer jersey's,a ton of posters..this trade makes me mad.I hear you, Theodore totally embodies the "I got my money, now I don't have to play anymore" mentality that some players have.

Number_4
03-08-2006, 10:12 PM

WHAT!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Im sure they can hear me in Denver... I hope they can. Why. Just tell me one thing. Why. I dispise Theodore. And, Abby was growing on me. He has really improved in recent years, and stepped up to be the goaltender that Roy trained him to be. Of all the bloody goaltenders in the league... why Theodore. I am in shock. I would have taken just about any other goaltender in the league instead. GRRRRR. I might have to pour myself a drink. Thats never happended at a trade deadline before...

Edit:
found this on the avs website...

Theodore, 29, has played in 38 games for the Canadiens this season, posting a 17-15-5 record with a 3.46 goals-against average and .881 save percentage. He suffered a fracture of the right heel bone during the Olympic break on Feb. 16 and is expected to be fully recovered when the NHL playoffs begin.

and this on the habs:

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound goaltender has played in 43 games with the Avalanche this season, including 42 as a starter, posting a 25-14-2 record. In 2477 minutes of play, the 28-year-old has allowed 123 goals, for a 2.98 goals-against average, and faced 1233 shots, giving him .900 save percentage. Aebischer has also recorded three shutouts, the latest coming when he stopped 24 shots in a 1-0 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets on March 2.

look at the stats. Anyone else think that Lacroix is crazy? A good solid goaltender for one with worse stats and a boken heel bone???

westbeach55
03-08-2006, 11:31 PM
what you think of the oilers putting morrison on waivers he is putting up better numbers than conklin. why not just try to trade him. what you guys think

Triton
03-09-2006, 08:59 AM
what you think of the oilers putting morrison on waivers he is putting up better numbers than conklin. why not just try to trade him. what you guys think

I think Conklin will end up somewhere else for a forward or a draft pick or two.

Triton
03-09-2006, 09:30 AM
A minor deal but Chicago had traded Todd Simpson to the Canadiens for a 2006 6th round pick.

Triton
03-09-2006, 09:59 AM
The Islanders have dealt Brad Lukowich to the Devils for a 3rd round pick.Wow what are the Devils gonna do with 9 defenceman.

Triton
03-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Vancouver recieves Sean Brown from the Devils for a pick.Now the Devils are cutting down the amount of defenceman of their roster.

Triton
03-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Ottawa nabs Mike Morrison off waivers from Edmonton.Umm I think Ottawa has enough goalies in their system.

Penguins claim Andy Hilbert off waivers from Chicago,as well The Capitals claim Rico Fata off waivers from Atlanta.Boy that kids been around the league.

Triton
03-09-2006, 11:26 AM
I think Conklin will end up somewhere else for a forward or a draft pick or two.

The Oilers have sent Conklin down to the minors.I personally think Conklin is better than what he's shown.

Triton
03-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Coyotes trade Sean O'Donnell to the Ducks,not sure for what.

As well Coyotes trade Denis Gauthier to the Flyers for winger Josh Gratton and two second-round picks.

Triton
03-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Canucks aquire goaltender Mika Noronen from Buffalo for a 2nd round pick.

Triton
03-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Capitals trade Jeff Friesen to the Ducks for a 2nd round pick.

Triton
03-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Mark Recchi waives his no trade clause and Pittsburgh deals Recchi to the Hurricanes for Krys Kolanos,Niklas Nordberg,and a draft pick.

Triton
03-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Brian Burke is busy as he deals Keith Carney to Vancouver for rights to Juha Alon,defenceman Brett Skinner and a 2nd round pick on '07.

Triton
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
The Detroit Redwings have dealt Jamie Rivers to the Coyotes for a 7th round pick.

Triton
03-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Ducks trade Sandis Ozolinsh to the Rangers for a 3rd round pick.

Triton
03-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Nashville aquires Brendan Witt from the Capitals for a pick and a prospect.

Triton
03-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Penguins trade Cory Cross to the Red Wings for a 4th rounder in '07.

Triton
03-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Nashville aquires Brendan Witt from the Capitals for a pick and a prospect.

That prospect being Kris Beech and a 1st round pick.I say that was too much for a defenceman who turns the puck over alot and has a hard time with focus..not as hard of a time as Antero Nittymaki does.

Triton
03-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Canucks deal Steve McCarthy to the Thrashers for a 2007 conditional pick.

Triton
03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Boston deals Sergei Samsonov to the Oilers for Marty Reasoner,prospect Yan Statsny and a 2nd round

They were smart not to trade Schremp or Cogliano.

Triton
03-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Ottawa deals Brandon Bochenski and a 2nd round pick to the Blackhawks for Tyler Arnason.

I think Brandon is better than Arnason,but what I think don't mean squat.

Triton
03-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Avalanche aquire Jim Dowd from the Blackhawks for a 4th rounder.

San Jose deals Nikos Dimitrakos to the Flyers for a 3rd round pick.

Triton
03-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Dallas trades Martin Skoula,Shaun Belle to the Minnesota Wild for Willie Mitchell and a 2nd round pick in 2007.

Triton
03-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Canucks at it again as they aquire Eric Weinrich from the Blues for a prospect and a 3rd round pick.

Islanders trade Oleg Kvasha to the Coyotes for a 3rd round pick.

Triton
03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Coyotes trade Jamie Lundmark to the Flames for a pick.

Triton
03-09-2006, 03:44 PM
WHAT!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Im sure they can hear me in Denver... I hope they can. Why. Just tell me one thing. Why. I dispise Theodore. And, Abby was growing on me. He has really improved in recent years, and stepped up to be the goaltender that Roy trained him to be. Of all the bloody goaltenders in the league... why Theodore. I am in shock. I would have taken just about any other goaltender in the league instead. GRRRRR. I might have to pour myself a drink. Thats never happended at a trade deadline before...

Edit:
found this on the avs website...

and this on the habs:

look at the stats. Anyone else think that Lacroix is crazy? A good solid goaltender for one with worse stats and a boken heel bone???

Things just got worse for the Avs.They lose Marek Svatos for the remainder of the season,due to a fracture in his shoulder that requires season ending surgery.He's out 4-5 months.If I wasn't bummed enough over the Aebischer deal than I get word of Svatos.

Dwight Schrute
03-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Canucks deal Steve McCarthy to the Thrashers for a 2007 conditional pick.
its a 4th rounder but turns to a 7th if he is lost on waivers. the canucks should have got more

Dwight Schrute
03-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Canucks at it again as they aquire Eric Weinrich from the Blues for a prospect and a 3rd in 06
wow we got hosed a 3rd should have done it never mind throwing in mozis

Dwight Schrute
03-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Dallas trades Martin Skoula,Shaun Belle to the Minnesota Wild for Willie Mitchell and a 2nd round pick in 2007.
OVERPAY !!!!! GLAD THE CANUCKS DIDNT GO OUT AND GET HIM !!!!
wow did minny ever hose them.

Sabes
03-09-2006, 07:50 PM
OVERPAY !!!!! GLAD THE CANUCKS DIDNT GO OUT AND GET HIM !!!!
wow did minny ever hose them.

I wouldn't say that it was a huge overpay. Belle has fell behind a few other Stars prospects and Skoula isn't that special. Mitchell is a rugged d-man and a 2nd round pick isn't bad. If Belle can reach his potential then it's definately an overpayment for the Stars but as of right now it's pretty close.

Dwight Schrute
03-09-2006, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't say that it was a huge overpay. Belle has fell behind a few other Stars prospects and Skoula isn't that special. Mitchell is a rugged d-man and a 2nd round pick isn't bad. If Belle can reach his potential then it's definately an overpayment for the Stars but as of right now it's pretty close.
one decent young dman one former 1st round prospect(belle) who is starting to find his game in the pro's and a 2nd for a UFA is why i say its an overpayment

Dwight Schrute
03-12-2006, 05:30 PM
after a couple games is everyone happy with their teams deals ??

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
after a couple games is everyone happy with their teams deals ??
well so far yes but the team is still to old and both John Ferguson and Pat Quinn need to give their heads a shake and get the team into the playoffs, they both want to keep the young prospects,and that is a good thing. If Belfour has still not retired by next season,I will hope that he does get traded,he is way past his prime(and way too old) It is time for him to step away, and I also think that Mikael Tellquist has outplayed him(even though he has played less games.

Dwight Schrute
03-13-2006, 06:15 PM
well so far yes but the team is still to old and both John Ferguson and Pat Quinn need to give their heads a shake and get the team into the playoffs, they both want to keep the young prospects,and that is a good thing. If Belfour has still not retired by next season,I will hope that he does get traded,he is way past his prime(and way too old) It is time for him to step away, and I also think that Mikael Tellquist has outplayed him(even though he has played less games.
i bet your happy they kept mcabe. perhaps belfour could serve a back up role and be a mentor to tellquist and possibly pogge and rask ?

nivek_wahs
03-14-2006, 04:51 AM
i bet your happy they kept mcabe.

The only problem with keeping McCabe is losing him to Unrestricted Free Agency where they would get ZERO for compensation, they probably could have received a 1st rounder and a player (prospect) or 2 in return. McCabe could easily be asking for $5 million, along the lines of Redden and Chara (both UFA's). Hmm...

Regarding the goalie situation it would make sense that if Belfour is still playing next year (or still wants to) the Leafs could buy the last year of his contract out (for something like $1.5 million). Tellquist to start next year? Or are they gonna go and do their best to take a top end free agent at the later stages of their career and sign him to a long term deal? Hmm... makes me wonder how much longer JFJ and Quinn will be with the Leaf organization.

I'm not a Leaf fan, I try to stay as neutral as possible (but I still cheer for the Flyers [who will not win the Cup as long as Bobby Clarke as GM :burningma ], but o well). That's my opinion...

Kevin

nivek_wahs
03-14-2006, 05:02 AM
Overall I am happy but I wish they could have got themselves another d-man (nothing against Gauthier) and maybe another forward but Salary Cap restrictions kept that from happening.

The worst thing that happened to the Flyers IMO was losing Keith Primeau to his concussion and Eric Desjardins to his injury. Then having Forsberg injured and the many other players hurt... yikes :spineyes: . Hopefully they can pull together some wins and go into the playoffs (hopefully they can get healthier) and make some noise... Dimitriakos may help but in what way? I dunno. Gauthier will shore up the back end and maybe he can help the team defensively? I dunno.

As for next year I really hope they can pick up someone other than Robert Esche (not a fan) to help Antero Niittymaki and get him started further on his way.

Overall, I feel good about the Flyers chances... but watch out or the Sens and Hurricanes... amongst others... :D

Kevin