PDA

View Full Version : W'Kings vs Blades

Triton
03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
GAME NOTES: The WHEAT KINGS kick off a 2-game Western Hockey League weekend series against the visiting SASKATOON BLADES Friday night at the Keystone Centre…These two teams will close out the series on Saturday night at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg…Winners of two of their last three, BRANDON is coming off a dramatic 6-4 come from behind victory over the Eastern Division leading MOOSE JAW WARRIORS on Wednesday night…Trailing 4-2 in the third period, the WHEAT KINGS erupted for three goals in a span of less than four minutes and never looked back…BRYAN KAUK led the winners with a goal and two assists…Other goals were scored by CODEY BURKI, ANDREW CLARK, COLE HUNTER, MARK DERLAGO and TYLER DITTMER…With the win, the WHEAT KINGS remained three points up on PRINCE ALBERT in the battle for the fourth and final playoff berth in the WHL’s Eastern Division…Both teams have five games remaining…BRANDON enters Wednesday’s game with a record of 26-31-6-4, good for 62 points…At home, BRANDON is 17-10-5-1 while on the road, the WHEAT KINGS are 9-21-1-3…Wednesday’s win also moved the WHEAT KINGS into a tie for sixth place with LETHBRIDGE in the Eastern Conference…BRANDON is 4-4-1-1 in its last ten games…2-1-1 in the month of March, after compiling a 6-6-0-1 during the month of February…WHEAT KINGS final regular season game of the season – at the Keystone Centre is March 17th against the visiting REGINA PATS.

VS. SASKATOON: This is the ninth meeting of the season between these two clubs and second in six days…Losers 4-0 in SASKATOON last Saturday night, the WHEAT KINGS are still looking for their first win of the 2005-06 season against the BLADES…BRANDON is 0-6-1-1 against SASKATOON, after compiling a 6-4-0 record last winter…During the 8-game series, captain TEEGAN MOORE (5-3-8) and JOHN WIKNER (2-3-5) lead the WHEATIES in scoring while netminder TYLER PLANTE has compiled a 4.63 goals against average and an .865 save percentage in six appearances.

MILESTONES: Netminder TYLER PLANTE, the 2005 WHL Rookie of the Year, made 20 saves in last Friday’s 6-0 win over PRINCE ALBERT for his second shutout of the season and eighth of his WHL career…That moved him into a tie with GLEN HANLON and JAMIE HODSON for the franchise record for most career shutouts…18-year old center CODEY BURKI scored three goals in the same game, which represented the first hat trick of his Western League career. It was also his fifth multi-goal night of the season…BRYAN KAUK’S 3-point effort against MOOSE JAW on Wednesday was a career high for the ex-KAMLOOPS BLAZER.

WHO HAS BEEN HOT? Netminder TYLER PLANE has compiled an impressive 2.41 goals against average and a .916 save percentage in 25 games since New Years Day. He posted a 2.35 goals against mark during the month of February…CODEY BURKI (13-16-29) and MARK DERLAGO (10-13-23) lead BRANDON in scoring in 2006…BURKI continues to lead the club in scoring with 54 points in 65 games.

SPECIAL TEAMS: BRANDON’S special teams are ranked 20th in the WHL…WHEAT KINGS have given up three shorthanded goals (two vs. SASKATOON last Saturday) in their last two games…BRANDON has scored 36 powerplay goals, while giving up 82 this season.

BY THE NUMBERS: TYLER PLANTE is third in the WHL with 56 appearances (Only MATT KEETLEY of the TIGERS and LELAND IRVING of EVERETT have played more)…BRANDON is 13-9-1-3 with NEW YORK ISLANDERS’ defenceman DUSTIN KOHN in the lineup…KOHN leads the club with a +13 ranking…WHEATS are 12-20 in one-goal games…BRANDON needs to score sixteen goals over the course of their last five games or establish a new club record for scoring the fewest goals in a single season. The current record of 212 was set in ’99-2000…DARYL BOYLE and MARK DERLAGO have played in all 67 regular season games this season…WHEAT KINGS are currently averaging 3,100 fans/game…WHEAT KINGS have lost 178 man games to injury this season…While TYLER STRAUTMAN awaits shoulder surgery, Finnish born SAMI SANDELL is out with a strained shoulder…TYLER DITTMER is currently 11th in WHL rookie scoring with 39 points in 65 games…MARK DERLAGO leads the club with 8 powerplay and 5 game winning goals…RILEY DAY has 182 penalty minutes (7th in the WHL)...WHEAT KINGS, in conjunction with SPORT MANITOBA and MANITOBA BLUE CROSS will recognize longtime Glenboro volunteer GLEN TOSH during Friday night's game while SHOPPERS MALL will announce the WHEAT KINGS' PLAYER OF THE YEAR - as chosen by the fans.

Triton
03-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Anyone know how long Sandell is out?Seems like an occuring thing with Sammy this season.

I honestly think we will win on Friday.Having not beaten the Blades ths season and being in the playoffs hunt has to be motivation enough.It will be hard to make the playoffs if we lose both..actually I don't know if we will make it if we lose both.Also hopefully since Red Deer knocked off the Tigers and are enjoying a pretty good week,maybe they'll give fits to the Raiders and help us W'King fans out by tripping up the Raiders.Maybe S.C will do the same.

Joe Hallenback
03-09-2006, 05:26 PM
I was at the game last night and will be at the game on Saturday. The Wheaties played really well last night and really took the body against the Warriors. They abused Boyd,McArdle and Brouwer all night and the Warriors had no answer to the physical play. If the Wheaties can play like that they will have a chance to win every night.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Im really pulling for you wheaties tonight, if brandon plays aggressivly and get a quick first goal, i guarentee a wheatie win, or a 1 point game.

go wheat kings :thumb:

WHEATMAN
03-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Im really pulling for you wheaties tonight, if brandon plays aggressivly and get a quick first goal, i guarentee a wheatie win, or a 1 point game.

hopefully. PA has an easier schedule, we will need to get a couple wins to make it in for sure

Triton
03-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Great job Brandon.I will forget the fact that you let a 3-1 lead wither away in the 3rd.I also hear on the radio that P.A is losing 4-0 after 2.Good news all around.If Red Deer can hold on in the 3rd we will be 5 pts up.Great game again and keep it going tomorrow night.Don't let up.

Triton
03-10-2006, 11:29 PM
A win tomorrow combined with a P.A loss will allow us to clinch the final playoff spot.I hope she can be done..

...GIT 'ER DONE BOYS!!!!!

Triton
03-10-2006, 11:42 PM

Well we helped you out some with our SO win,combined with your OT win over the Hitmen.I hope you catch the Blades and if not I hope you bump them out of the playoffs.

Triton
03-11-2006, 08:48 AM
The Brandon Wheat Kings will be hoping to complete a Western Hockey League 2-game weekend series Saturday night when they play host to the second place Saskatoon Blades at Winnipeg's MTS Centre.

The Wheat Kings scored an exciting 4-3 Overtime Shootout win over the Blades Friday night, picking an opportune time to beat Saskatoon for the first time this season. The win, coupled with Prince Albert's loss in Red Deer, moved Brandon five points up on the Raiders in the battle for the fourth and final playoff spot in the WHL's Eastern Division.

Friday's results also reduced Brandon's magic number to two - which means any combination of Wheat Kings' victories or Raiders losses (in regulation) equalling two will earn the Wheat Kings their thirteenth playoff appearance in the past 14 years.

Shootout goals by Mark Derlago and Tyler Dittmer were the difference in Friday's game for the Wheat Kings, who led 2-0 and 3-1 at the period breaks. Defenceman Dustin Kohn, captain Teegan Moore and Jeff Topilko scored Brandon's goals in regulation time.

Meanwhile 18-year old center Codey Burki has been chosen - by western Manitoba hockey fans - the Wheat Kings' Shoppers Mall Player of the Year.

A former first round bantam pick of the Wheat Kings (17th overall) in the 2002 WHL draft, Burki enters Saturday's game sitting atop the team scoring lead with 24 goals and 55 points in 66 games. In winning this award, he edged out goalkeeper Tyler Plante and veteran left-winger Mark Derlago.

With four games remaining in the regular season, the former Winnipeg AAA midget Warrior has 34 goals and 88 points in 188 career WHL games. He is currently ranked fifth by Central Scouting for North American skaters playing in the WHL.

Last year's nominee was right-winger Eric Fehr, who later became only the fifth Wheat King to be chosen the WHL Player o the Year, joining the likes of Peter Schaefer, Marty Murray, Ray Ferraro and Ron Chipperfield.