PDA

View Full Version : Edler

scamperdog
03-10-2006, 10:32 PM
www.foxsports.com
Often one can never be quite sure what to expect when a young European prospect comes to play in North America. In some cases, young foreign hockey players cannot adjust to the style of game, or the cultural change is too dramatic and they feel isolated.

However, with Swedish defenseman Alexander Edler, the Kelowna Rockets and the Vancouver Canucks know exactly what they are getting. The impressive rookie with the Western Hockey League's Rockets has been a boon thus far this season. The Canucks drafted him 91st overall in the third round of the 2004 draft and are pleased with his progress thus far.
Edler's could be another one of those common stories of a player coming from an obscure place on a foreign map to the bright lights of the NHL. The 6-foot-4, 207-pound lanky Swede was born in Stockholm, but grew up in Ostersund, a nine-hour drive north of the Swedish capital. He may be the next high-profile NHL player from Ostersund, following in the footsteps of Ulf Dahlen.

Like most kids from across the pond, there is a period of cultural adjustment.

"I remember when I first came here it was warmer like summer in the fall and it is not like that in Sweden. And the food, it is different here as it tends to be sweeter and less organic, but it is okay," said Edler. "It was easy to come into this locker room because everyone is a great guy and they make you feel part of a family."

The adjustment period for Edler from a hockey standpoint was challenging, as well.

"They play a lot of games here so you have to be on top of things mentally every night because you have no breaks. That has been the hardest thing for me to adjust to since last year I played 30 or 35 games in the regular season," Edler said.

Although he had seen the North American game on television, experiencing it first-hand was a completely different situation. The pace of things surprised Edler during his first month here.

"It is a more intense game and quicker probably because the rink is smaller and you have to hit," he said.

Jeff Truitt, his head coach in Kelowna, said Edler had to get used to the WHL and NHL brand of hockey.

"I think at the beginning of the year it was a real change of pace for him, not only with the style of play, but how many games we play and the tempo," said Truitt.

It was the differences in intensity and physical play from Sweden to North America that concerned Truitt when Edler first came over.

"He did not get that in Sweden but he has adapted real well and his learning curve was really short," Truitt said. "I was expecting three or four months before he got going but it only took a month."

Even his teammates have been thoroughly impressed by this unassuming Swede.

"He has been a horse back there for logging a lot of ice time for us," said Kelowna's Blake Comeau. "You do not notice he is a European player because he goes in the corners and battles and is not afraid to hit and take hits for the team."

The one factor that has really stood out was his ability to handle new situations and apply what he has learned quickly. It has also been a testament to his character.

"That is a sign of adaptability and maturity, recognizing what he needed to do to become successful in this league," said Truitt.

Comeau said the offensive defenseman has impressed all who have seen him play.

"I think he has adapted real well to the North American style," Comeau said. "He has seen a lot of guys here play with emotion and play a physical style game and I think that is the key to his success this season."

When looking at his statistics, it is obvious to see why people are so impressed. So far this season, Edler has put up 12 goals and 34 assists in only 57 games with a solid plus-15 rating. Though his offensive skills are the main attraction, he also plays a tough but controlled game and does not take needless penalties.

"His skating and his puck handling are really strong as is his vision and shooting, as well," Truitt said. "Tthe skills European players possess, he has, but he has taken those skills and adopted the North American style and he has prospered."

As The Oracle gazes into the crystal ball it appears that Edler's future looks full of possibilities with a Canucks organization that will need some fresh recruits in a few years. With his strong play this season and the valuable experience he gained at the World Juniors, expect his stock to continue to rise.

The Oracle sees promise and success for Edler so do not be shocked to see him lace up the skates with big boys one day.