PDA

View Full Version : Kelowna vs. Everett - Kelowna Daily Courier Storey

DoubleDee
03-13-2006, 11:56 AM
A stand-up effort
By Doyle Potenteau
Monday, March 13, 2006, 12:18 AM

Derek Yeomans received two standing ovations Sunday night: one after the game and one during.
Kelowna’s goaltender made 34 saves, including a spectacular stop on Everett forward Peter Mueller midway through the second period, resulting in a rousing cascade of cheers, as the Rockets smashed the visiting Silvertips 6-2 in WHL action last night.
At game’s end, Yeomans was named the first star, and the Prospera Place faithful again loudly applauded the 19-year-old — though not as loudly as the first time.
With Everett on the power play, Mueller corralled a John Lammers rebound in the left faceoff circle and, with Yeomans at the far post, had a wide-open net to shoot at. Yeomans dove across the crease and deflected what appeared destined to become Mueller’s 25th tally of the season.
The game was well in hand at that point — Kelowna led 3-0 after the first period despite handing Everett a pair of five-on-three power plays in the first 15 minutes — but that save deflated what little emotion the ’Tips had left.
“There was a scramble in front, and I really don’t honestly remember what happened,” said Yeomans. “All I know is that he had most of the net to shoot at, so I dived across. (The save) was mostly luck as he put it off the paddle of my stick.
“(The ovation), it was nice. It was surprising and I didn’t expect it. I wish it would happen more.”
So strong was Yeomans’ play that he earned first-star honours over teammate Justin Keller, who had an impressive outing with two goals and two assists. The goals were his 48th and 49th of the season.
“Yeomans played well and he deserved first star all the way,” said Keller. “The five-on-threes, he pretty much killed those off himself. He made a pair of back-to-back saves where they were pretty much goals. He played awesome tonight.”
Alexander Edler, who opened the scoring midway through the first period, Troy Bodie, Lauris Darzins and Chris Ray also scored for Kelowna (45-20-1-3), which led 5-1 after 40 minutes and has won 10 of its last 12 games. Ondrej Fiala, with his 20th and 21st goals of the season, replied for Everett (39-25-2-3), which looked fatigued after splitting a double dip in Prince George on Friday and Saturday, winning 4-1, then losing 3-0.
Starter Leland Irving took the loss for the Silvertips and was pulled after the first period, having surrendered three goals on eight shots.
Backup Matt Esposito made 17 saves in relief.
For Mueller, the 17-year-old from Bloomington, Minn., and projected first-round NHL draft pick said Yeomans decided Sunday’s game.
“Our team came out hard, but Kelowna has some great players in their lineup,” he said. “Yeomans is a great goaltender and I had a wide-open net to shoot at; he just made a great save on me.”
Sunday’s win was payback for Kelowna, as seven days ago, the Rockets closed out a three-game road trip in Everett by losing 4-1.
“Both teams wanted to go to war,” said Mueller. “Kelowna’s playing to catch Vancouver and we’re trying to catch those guys, too, for a second-round playoff spot. It was a war, and Kelowna got the better half.”

© Monday, March 13, 2006Copyright KelownaDailyCourier.ca

DoubleDee
03-13-2006, 12:00 PM
“There was a scramble in front, and I really don’t honestly remember what happened,” said Yeomans. “All I know is that he had most of the net to shoot at, so I dived across. (The save) was mostly luck as he put it off the paddle of my stick.
“(The ovation), it was nice. It was surprising and I didn’t expect it. I wish it would happen more.”

One of the best saves (in a series of 4 or so in a row) I have seen in a long time!! I jumped to my feet and screamed, whistled and clapped with everyone.