PDA

View Full Version : Courchene suffers broken leg

Triton
03-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Brandon, Manitoba – The Western Hockey League’s Brandon Wheat Kings will be without 19-year old left-winger Corey Courchene for the balance of the 2005-06 season.

The 6’1” 203 lb product from Sagkeeng First Nation sustained a fractured fibula in his right leg during Saturday’s come from behind victory over the visiting Saskatoon Blades at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.

A former member of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League’s Southeast Blades, Courchene underwent successful surgery at Health Sciences Centre on Sunday and is expected to be in hospital until Wednesday.

In 56 games with the Wheat Kings this season, Courchene had eleven goals and 24 points. As well, he has accumulated 150 minutes in penalties.

During his three year WHL career, Courchene has eighteen goals, 45 points and 358 penalty minutes in 173 games.

Honestly that was probably the last time we will see Courchene in a Wheatie jersey.

Dwight Schrute
03-13-2006, 03:34 PM
i know its been said but karma is a b*tc#. why wouldnt he be back as a 20 ? if not brandon then maybe chilliwack ?

Triton
03-13-2006, 03:47 PM
i know its been said but karma is a b*tc#. why wouldnt he be back as a 20 ? if not brandon then maybe chilliwack ?

Why do you think Courchene got what he deserved?It's kind of one of those things that would have been better off not said.But since you said it,I find that EXTREMELY RUDE,and also typical of someone who's team just got eliminated from playoff contention.And he won't be back as a 20 cause Derlago,Moore and Lenoski will fill those spots.Hunter,Courchene,Topilko and Wikner are all odds out.

Dwight Schrute
03-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Why do you think Courchene got what he deserved?It's kind of one of those things that would have been better off not said.But since you said it,I find that EXTREMELY RUDE,and also typical of someone who's team just got eliminated from playoff contention.And he won't be back as a 20 cause Derlago,Moore and Lenoski will fill those spots.Hunter,Courchene,Topilko and Wikner are all odds out.
i dont think anybody deserves to be hurt but as we all know courchene does play a little over the edge sometimes with some questionable hits etc... and actually i am kinda hoping for brandon to make some noise in the playoffs this year as i said in another thread. i think that somebody will pick up courchene as a 20, probably chilliwack. especially with the shot he has. sorry if i offended you man but, im not the first guy to say the karma bit. and once again i wouldnt wish anybody hurt, as i personally know (i broke 3 bones in my foot and fractured 3 more) i recently spent 6 weeks in a cast and have been off work for 2 months.

Triton
03-13-2006, 06:37 PM
I know Courchene and his effort sometimes can be questionable as I'm referring to his hits.But Courchene goes out and goes to war giving the team 150%.The guy is versitile in that he plays both forward and defence,something that is valubale.Courchene has a cannon of a shot and It would be more deadly if he hit the net with it more.No question about it,I'd love to have Courchene come back but we do have a few possible 20's and with Derlago,Moore and Lenoski I feel they are the most important pieces for our team to be successful next season(we will contend for the division).

I just think that to say Karma got him,is a low blow in the fact that there have been players who have done worse.I'd rather have Courchene,a team guy on my team,than a player such who is all about himself and plays for the name on the back rather than whats on the front.Courchene may not be the most skilled but he gives his all.

Joe Hallenback
03-14-2006, 12:43 AM
I think Courchene will be back next season and I wouldnt doubt that Lenoski is the odd man out. McCrimmon likes him alot

Triton
03-14-2006, 12:47 PM
I think Courchene will be back next season and I wouldnt doubt that Lenoski is the odd man out. McCrimmon likes him alot

Who do you think will be our 20's next season?

Will it be:Derlago,Moore and Lenoski or Derlago,Moore and Courchene?

I think Wikner will not be back..take s up 2 spots.Doubt Topilko will be around,as well as Hunter.

brandonboy
03-20-2006, 05:56 AM
Who do you think will be our 20's next season?

Will it be:Derlago,Moore and Lenoski or Derlago,Moore and Courchene?

I think Wikner will not be back..take s up 2 spots.Doubt Topilko will be around,as well as Hunter.

This is a question that alot of us at the games have been talking about recently is the leauge does get smart and add a fourth 20 year old spot then I think it will go like this.

Derlago- This of course is a given.
Courchene - He's way to versitile to give up, and he's great for team toughness
Hunter- He seems to be Kelly's pet project just like Later was a year ago, and he's also Brandons best penalty killer.
Lenoski- I honestly belive he is the best d-man on Brandon and way to valuable to put in the expantion draft.

As for Moore there is no way he is here next year this year he showed poor leadership and had stone hands all year and realy in the last half did nothing. Derlago will be named Captain next season.

Hatguy
03-20-2006, 06:39 PM
I didn't realise Brandon had so many overagers next year. That is a problem the Warriors will have to address as well. I think we have seven able to return, so I wonder who will get cut.

Joe Hallenback
03-21-2006, 01:45 AM
My thoughts on next years team

Goal

Plante - Will of course be the man again next year
Jory - Has shown he can be a starter will be a great backup if he is not selected in the expansion draft
Hayes - Heard great things about him and could be a possiblity for Plantes future replacement especially if Jory is gone

Defence

Kohn - Will Anchor our D and run the Powerplay will put up huge numbers next season
Boyle - Shaky first half but superb second half should be very good next season
Lenoski - Will be back as a 20 year old hasnt played that great but picked it up in the last month. Steady if unspectacular on the backend
Yeo - One of the toughest players in the league who has improved his play with the puck might get drafted late. Needs to increase his footspeed to take it to the next level
Louis - Steady if unspectacular. Recovering from that concussion didnt help his season at the start. Needs to get stronger and more physical
Aulie - A slighty disappointing season for the big rookie but hes starting to learn how to use his big frame better. Could break out next year and become a shutdown guy for us.
Erb - Never really stood out but played ok. I was hoping for more of a tougher Erb this season and might find himself back in Junior A next season if he doesnt improve.

Robak - Great rookie season in Midget. Put up big offensive numbers. Good size and wheels. Nice 4th round pick for us. Plays alot like Kohn.

Forwards

Burki - Played good at the start and great at the end. This guy is going to be awesome next year and will put up big numbers. Probable late 1st early 2nd round pick in this years draft.
Derlago - One of the best stories of the year. Hard working player who gives it all every night. He will put up some numbers next season playing with Burki
Sandell - Ive heard rumours that he might not be back next year which would be a blow for the wheaties. If it wasnt for some nagging injuries he would have put up some better numbers and I think next year would be a big one for him on the number 1 line. Time will tell I guess
Dittmer - Hes got the the skill but does he got the desire. Some good production this year. Good but not great. I think next season will be a telling one for Dittmer. Is he the great scorer or is a flop?
Reaves - If the only thing he has to do is hit people every shift then his job would be done on most nights but we need some scoring from the big man and this season he hasnt done enough of that. He needs to put up some numbers for us next season for us to be successful
Topliko - Alot of people expect alot of the former first round bantam pick but to be realistic this is as good as it gets. And its not that bad. Hes a great penalty killer and works hard every night. Good third line guy
Clark - I think this guy took the "next step" this season and found a home. Now will it be a first line scorer or a third line grinder? Hopefully the former
Kauk - I dont think the fans have been fair to Kauk this season. He seems to be the shutdown guy for McCrimmon and has to play against the other teams best lines. He does a good job of it and if offense increases will be a nice 2nd line center for us
Hallick - Decent rookie year for the big center. Future shutdown guy with great size and speed. If his hands develop could add some offensive but if not will at least be tough to play against.
Courchene - Agitating player to play against. Has skill but makes some bonehead plays. Adds alot to team toughness. McCrimmon likes him but might not be back because of that broken leg
Moore - Hard working player put up ok numbers expecting more out of him maybe asking to much. Might be back next season

Sanfred King - Probably the best 15 year old in the Manitoba midget league this season. Great skater with great hands. Many people thought in bantam he was the number 2 guy behind Dale Hunt. His size scared people away (he was only about 5'6 at draft time) but has shot up to about 6'1 now. A steal for us that late in the draft.

Nathan Green - Dynamic scorer at midget level. Really small hes listed at 5'11 but if hes really only 5'8. Tremedous skill alot like Dittmer

Jay Fehr - Small but extremely hardworking forward. Put up big numbers in midget. I like him alot but again size is a factor

Jordan Hale - the mystery second round pick for last year. Ive heard some good things. Hes huge 6'4 or so, loves to hit,can score and apparently is quite the maniac. All of which are things I love in a player. Be interesting to see him at camp next year

Brandon Lockerby - Tore up midget with King this season. got into a few games with wheaties his time might have passed though

Whos gone

Wikner - Played ok but we dont need ok from a Euro.
Hunter - too many quality 20 year olds to keep him around
Strautman - Too many good young kids to have him taking up a spot

Overall its a pretty good veteran lineup next season. Everyone has matured and fought hard this season. The boys seem to have bought into the system that McCrimmon has in place and I expect us to challenge Regina for the division next year :clap:

westbeach55
03-21-2006, 07:03 AM
[QUOTE=canadian eh]Why do you think Courchene got what he deserved?It's kind of one of those things that would have been better off not said.But since you said it,I find that EXTREMELY RUDE,and also typical of someone who's team just got eliminated from playoff contention.And he won't be back as a 20 cause Derlago,Moore and Lenoski will fill those spots.Hunter,Courchene,Topilko and Wikner are all odds out.[/QUOTE

no need to attack the raiders in this one, had nothing to do with this incident. I think he was trying to say courchene plays a little over the edge sometimes (nobody wants to see an injury though)