PDA

View Full Version : Giants Drafts Situation

Swando
03-13-2006, 06:54 PM
I am quite aware of the wheelings and dealings that must go on between GMs during the WHL draft but it seems that the Giants often trade their lower picks away ( probably for good reason). I'm wondering if these were to satisfy earlier trades or are they stacking up later choices to trade maybe a player/earlier pick. Just wondering if anyone has info how the WHL draft works. The fact that the Giants do not need these picks makes me think that they have good scouting that opts for undrafted players for their 50 men List. :confused:

rinkrat
03-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Most teams can't draft players in the later rounds,due to the 50 player list.I guess,no sense in drafting if you can't protect...

Swando
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
It's not the passing on picks rather than the trading of them. What value do they get with their ?

GF71
03-13-2006, 09:28 PM
It depends...usually drafts are traded for 3 or 4th line players, or 5-6 D-men. A few teams have been trading a combination of picks and list players to Chilliwack in exchange for them not picking a player off of the active roster in teh expansion draft.

N.W. Bruin
03-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Teams that have lots of returning veterans will usually only draft seven or so guys if the club only has the three overagers and five or so 19s. Like everyone said the 50 player PPL restricts what teams can do. Better to get picks in future years for current year picks as part of packages if future draft picks can be used in years when the team needs to restock their PPL by a bigger amount.

Most of the players on the PPL are drafted players of the Giants or guys who are with the Giants but were traded from other teams.

Swando
03-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Do you suppose Giants have an amassed # of lower picks then? I went back through the last 3 years drafts and it seems we traded away alot of pick from 5 down. Maybe we had owed the picks to these teams for stocking our shelves earlier and now our slate is clean!