PDA

View Full Version : Boogard Suspended

Beaner
03-14-2006, 12:14 PM
from, www.whl.ca

March 11 Aaron Boogaard Tri-City Americans Two game Suspension match penalty at Spokane on March 11

Jimmypop316
03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
He deserved it. Blatantly popped Stoesz pretty good behind the play and then knocked Falk pretty good.

I was hoping we could see a final Boogie Stoesz match-up but he didn't want to drop em with Stoesz earlier, I think the coach might have said no about that.

rezstyle
03-15-2006, 03:26 PM
He deserved it. Blatantly popped Stoesz pretty good behind the play and then knocked Falk pretty good.

I was hoping we could see a final Boogie Stoesz match-up but he didn't want to drop em with Stoesz earlier, I think the coach might have said no about that.

I think it was actually Boogard being classy and not dropping them with Stoesz knowing Stoesz is playing with a broken knuckle.

Brad
03-16-2006, 06:11 PM
What frustrates me as a Tri-City fan is over and over our franchise is not afforded the same protection for our players that other teams get. I don't have any problem with the league suspends TC players for actions like this, but the suspensions dolled out to opposing players when one of our's is injured either don't come or aren't as harsh.

A perfect example is the Spokane game for which Boogaard was suspended. There were two clear examples where you would expect major penalites would be called on Spokane players, but only minors were called.

The most blatant was the kneeing by Hobson on Juraj Gracik. I don't believe players use their knee to try and injure another player, because of the real risk you put yourself in by doing that, but with that said what Hobson did was a blatant knee and Gracik was obviously severely injured (his foot was no longer parallel with his upper leg). Does anyone really believe if Jason Beeman or the like did that hit it wouldn't have been five, a game and a suspension. Gracik, our third leading scorer, got his season ended on the play and a minor was all that was called, come on?

The other play and the one that in my mind showed a lot more intent to injure involved Derek Ryan. He saw a Tri-City player along the boards with a fallen Spokane player at his feet. The Spokane player was on the Tri-City player's feet eliminating his ability to move. Ryan seeing this player was vulnerable and not able to defend himself makes a beeline for him and staples the Tri-City player's head to the glass with an elbow. A very dangerous play that hits on two very important points the league seems to be trying to eliminate...blows to the head and hitting a player when he is vulnerable and not able to defend himself (checking from behind, new touch up icing rule). More than the Hobson hit, in my opinion, this one showed a clear intent. Ryan, who takes his share of rough rides, saw an opportunity for some payback and siezed it. How this warranted only a minor and the numerous replay on the big screen is beyond me. I don't believe that Ryan is a coward, but it was a very cowardly play.

Other good example is Beeman's four game suspension for elbowing Gabriel of Portland. In a similar situation, Stoesz elbowed TC's Chris Inglis. Very similar situations in that both victims sustained injuries and were sidelined for a while. Both players (Beeman and Stoesz) in question have a history of troubles in this area. Both players got four game suspensions. The difference is that three of Stoesz's four games were automatic based on game misconduct accumulation, so he got one game for the hit where as Beeman got four for the hit. Now Stoesz is the biggest meathead in the conference, so why he gets a break, while Beeman doesn't is what really frutstrates me.

rezstyle
03-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Come on now, Hobson has no record whatsoever of being anything but classy. He was also the the closest chief standing by Gracik while he was on the ground showing true concern. Things like that happen. And hell yes if Beeman or Stoesz did that, they would be suspended...but when they do it, everyone in their right mind has that lingering feeling they meant to do it.

Secondly, Ryan...are you kidding me. Regardless what his actual stats are, he's 5' nothing a buck twenty. They actually replayed that hit during the "collision of the game". He didn't go head first into the boards, he was hit semi parallel to the boards, barely hitting his shoulder on the bottom of the boards when falling. I agree it was a late hit, but nothing should come out of this. Remember, this is hockey...a man's game.

Brad
03-17-2006, 04:49 PM
So a player's height and weight should be the determining factor in whether or not a player gets a certain penalty? I think we can both agree that it IS a determining factor with some of crappy refs.

Regardless of Ryan's height or weight, he saw a player who was vulnerable and made the choice to get some payback. He hit the guy to the head and his head went to the glass. Exactly the type of hit the league is trying to crack down on because of concussions. I don't think players should be excused from their choices and actions because they are small.

Beaner
03-17-2006, 05:06 PM
I agree Brad, but until the League gets serious about shots to the head nothing will change.

When the leagues decided they had had enough of bench clearing brawls they made the suspensions serious enough for players to stop it. 10 games for coming off the bench to start a fight is serious, and players rarely do it now. If they do do it they get hammered by the league.

If the League really wanted to get rid of shots to the head, the suspensions would be as serious as those for leaving the bench, and the players would stop it quick like a bunny.

I say any shot to the head comes with an automatic 5 game suspension, pending review to be upgraded, if need be. A hit to the head should also be an automatic 5 min Major and a game misconduct.

Any attempt to injure penalty should be a minimum 10 games.

And the Refs should not hesitate to call these penalties.

ihlemic10
03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
I agree Brad, but until the League gets serious about shots to the head nothing will change.

When the leagues decided they had had enough of bench clearing brawls they made the suspensions serious enough for players to stop it. 10 games for coming off the bench to start a fight is serious, and players rarely do it now. If they do do it they get hammered by the league.

If the League really wanted to get rid of shots to the head, the suspensions would be as serious as those for leaving the bench, and the players would stop it quick like a bunny.

I say any shot to the head comes with an automatic 5 game suspension, pending review to be upgraded, if need be. A hit to the head should also be an automatic 5 min Major and a game misconduct.

Any attempt to injure penalty should be a minimum 10 games.

And the Refs should not hesitate to call these penalties.

I agree with those rules but idiots like Savage and Smith would over do it. I think they don't know what a head is since theirs is somewhere that rhymes with grass. Hopefully if they increase they penalties, they teach refs how to consistantly and effectively call them.