PDA

View Full Version : Do posters go too far?

90-91
02-06-2005, 02:30 PM
When posters state their personal (often Homer) opinions about individual players do they go too far?
Especially when it comes to the tough guys.
At the end of the 2002 season I was over at a friends house whos daughter was dating one of the Chiefs players. Several players were there. David Boychuk borrowed his computer to post on the fight central board. He said that since his Dub career was over, it was time to straighten some things out. He proceeded to rip TCA fans for what he said was 2 yrs. of beating that he took on that board. In my mind he was justified.
During the 2003 season Jordan Clarke (posting under his own name, and verified by the BMs) started posting on the white board to dispell obvious lies. It shut a lot of mouths.
Talking to Myles Stoesz's dad the other night, he said it was nice to see knowlegable posters defend his son on various boards.
Do posters take it too far, when obviously players and their familys read these boards? Or are they fair game, because they have become public figures?

Fight Guy
02-06-2005, 02:57 PM
I think because they are public figures, people have a right to their opinion on a player. If the player or family reads it, they are going to have to live with what people think of him. The players are known all over western Canada and some by the counrty(National teams). So they are going to get flak from people because there people from opposing teams that may not like a player because they play against their team. They play in a well known league, and if they plan on making it higher up, they are going to be getting more of the same but on a higher level. I think the players are just going to have to suck it up if they dont like what they hear or read about them and just keep playing the way they do.

HAF
02-06-2005, 02:59 PM
I think that people do tend to take it a little far from time to time. They forget that these are just kids and that there are their families to consider.
I'm not saying that we shouldnt be able to post our opinions about players, I just think we need to do it without completely tearing them apart.
On the other hand these kids are in the public eye to some extent and this will definately get even worse as the progress in their carreers. They do need to learn to deal with it a little bit.
In a nutshell, I just think we all need to use a little class in our posts.

90-91
02-06-2005, 03:08 PM
I agree with both of you to a certain extent.........But it has to be a huge shock to them going from midget to Major Junior.......the difference between being well known locally.......to being well known and often ripped regionally and sometimes nationally. I can see the 19-20 yr. old players handling this much better than the 16-17 yr. olds. I guess I can understand why some parents chose to have their kids go the college route, the kids are generally older, and don't have the media spot light nearly as much.
I think it's good advise to use some class when posting.

Fight Guy
02-06-2005, 03:10 PM
I agree with class.

kelownakarl
02-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Alot of the times the crap posts come from places that are not monitored closely or not moderated properly. Like this is a great site for families or players to read because it is good talk, clean chat and the only bashing may come in the form of constructive criticism. (ie- players nto doing their job, fans pointing it out). So alot of the time it could be where the posts are coming from and where they are posted. But your right it is all about class.

Orv
02-06-2005, 05:47 PM
I think that they may need to get some thicker skin. I do understand these are just kids but they are in the public eye and if they ever get reach their goal of making the NHL they had better get used to being ripped in the media and on the internet. It's going to get a lot worse for them if they make the show.

grumphy
02-07-2005, 09:28 AM
The CHL is the first rung of Pro Hockey, the players in this league want to advance. They have to learn that if they are an outstanding player you are going to get ripped by opposing teams & fans it's part of the career they have chosen. Home fans tend to rip because of high expectations and usally comes from band wagon fans who do not really have a clue. The real hockey fans tend to be critical,(sometimes harsley) but usally it is stated in a constructive vain.
Players have to gain the skill to distigush between all these areas and develop a very thick skin, a tough job but that is why kids that graduate this hell are usally well prepared for the show. I think the dub is the worst because I believe the fans out here are a little more rabid
Rants @ management & coaching are a different matter.

Tipped Off
02-07-2005, 10:19 AM
My personal philosophy is to only post about someone's skills or "attitudes" on the ice. I think some people try to read way too far into what a player might have been thinking and start talking about the player personally. When it gets personal, it crosses the line, IMO.

On these boards we all have screen names and passwords & it wouldn't take too much effort to try and find out who wrote the post, but for the most part, we are fairly anonymous. These kids aren't. They are real. So to post "real" personal attacks or opinions or players anonymously is not good, IMO. If I was a columnist of a newspaper and my real name & picture were attributed to my writing, would I still write what I was about to write? If the answer is yes, then I let it go. If it is no, then I think you have to take a second look at the post and decide if it really belongs on the public forum.

grumphy
02-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Your right as long as the rips are pointed toward the players style, effort, skill, disipline, it is game related and is fair game , but all this bringing it down to a personal level is crap and doesn't belong on a public forum. A player can do dumb things on the ice or play with little skills for this level, but that does not make him scum.

90-91
02-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Alot of the times the crap posts come from places that are not monitored closely or not moderated properly. Like this is a great site for families or players to read because it is good talk, clean chat and the only bashing may come in the form of constructive criticism. (ie- players nto doing their job, fans pointing it out). So alot of the time it could be where the posts are coming from and where they are posted. But your right it is all about class.
The white board is a good example of it........too much just plain "CRAP".....but in the Mods defense, with the large amount of volume on that board it becomes a full time job deleting posts, answering questions, & banning posters.....It's a job I wouldn't want, and honestly don't have time for. IMO they do the best they can with what they have.

90-91
02-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I think that they may need to get some thicker skin. I do understand these are just kids but they are in the public eye and if they ever get reach their goal of making the NHL they had better get used to being ripped in the media and on the internet. It's going to get a lot worse for them if they make the show.
True......if they make the NHL it will become much worse.......but, I remember being 16 and I don't think you can find a more insecure impressionable age. Hopfully they have positive encouragment to out weigh the negative.

90-91
02-11-2005, 11:38 AM
My personal philosophy is to only post about someone's skills or "attitudes" on the ice. I think some people try to read way too far into what a player might have been thinking and start talking about the player personally. When it gets personal, it crosses the line, IMO.

I totally agree.......esp. when it comes to the tough guys......A statment I see posted a lot is "so and so is ducking so and so" or "This guy challenged this guy, and he pussed out"
Honestly unless you're one of those guys or play on that team you have no clue what was said, it's very possible that (for example) Coach Conroy told Desautels before the last Kamloops game "we need to win this game, and if Kassian goads you into a fight.....I'll bench you" unless you're sitting on the bench or in the pre game meetings anything you post is pure speculation.

The_Vulk
02-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Things like constructive criticism I have no problem with.

Saying things like "that was a bad play", or "stop trying to do it all yourself - pass it to an open man", etc. is OK.

But once it gets personally, calling a player a "Moron", etc. is then out of line.

They are here, at this level of hockey, to improve their skills, etc. The entire CHL os a devolepmental league, after all.

Sure, as fans, we do get compansionate about our sport and our team.

But one must remember, it is JUST A GAME.

Before you start to Flame, cuss and curse, think about what it is you are doing, and why?

If it can't be said in a civil manner, before all age groups, then don't say it/post it.

I still see some people/poster, whom will swear that since it is a fan forum, that they can and should be allow to post CRAP. That rules don't apply to them, since that would be against their rights and freedom of expression.

That is fine and dandy, in your own home. But we, as members of this (or any other forum) are guest to the administrator of the site.

If you have a potty mouth, then show them out (to the outhouse)! We don't want to hear how creatively you can curse at players and fellow posters.

Having a strong set of rules, that are inforced on a MODERATED forum, is for the benefit of the majority. One can easily have an opinion, and state it, without having to make it into CRAP.