PDA

View Full Version : "After The Whistle" - Do Shoot-outs Matter?

nivek_wahs
03-15-2006, 05:45 AM
from winterhawks.com

"After The Whistle" - Do Shoot-outs Matter?
March 12, 2006 – Andy Kemper

One of the biggest rule changes announced during the previous off-season was the implementation of the shoot-out to end tie games after the five minute, four-on-four, overtime period. Purists cringed, fans who hated ties applauded and analysts like me wondered how much of an effect it would have on the game and the standings.

Well, with the Portland Winter Hawks having six of their last 14 games go to a shoot-out, I thought it would be interesting to look at how the standings in the WHL would be effected if the shoot-out didn’t exist.

Obviously, the stats are just numbers and the outcomes of some of the games may have been altered if teams knew there wasn’t a shoot-out and they had pressed hard to end games in OT or regulation.

Listed below are what the standings would be if the shoot-outs were ties (meaning the winners of shoot-outs wouldn’t get the extra point):

Team W L OTL T PTS
US Division
Everett 32 25 2 10 76
Seattle 27 30 1 10 65
Portland 23 31 1 11 60
Tri City 23 33 4 8 58
Spokane 19 38 5 3 50

BC Division
Vancouver 44 18 0 8 96
Kelowna 42 20 1 6 91
Kootenay 41 22 1 5 88
Prince George 30 28 1 9 70
Kamloops 29 32 2 7 67

Eastern Division
Moose Jaw 38 19 8 4 88
Regina 34 26 1 8 77
Saskatoon 32 25 1 11 76
Brandon 23 31 6 9 61
Prince Albert 19 34 1 15 54

Central Division
Medicine Hat 39 16 1 13 92
Calgary 40 18 3 9 92
Lethbridge 25 34 3 7 60
Swift Current 19 32 6 12 56
Red Deer 21 40 1 8 51

I bolded and italicized the Regina/Saskatoon records as that match-up is the only one that is reversed from what it currently is now (current Saskatoon – 40-25-1-3, 84; Regina – 38-26-1-4, 81). So, with Saskatoon getting eight extra points to only four for Regina has given the Blades a hold on 2nd place and home ice advantage in the first round.

It still makes no difference on who made the playoffs and who didn’t (although Swift Current getting 18 points in OT games certainly got them the spot over Red Deer who had 10 less OT points this season and is six points back of SC with two games left to play). Granted Prince George hasn’t officially eliminated Kamloops yet, but their magic number would only go from one point to two with the shoot-out non-existent.

What I gather from this data is that the shoot-out while certainly entertaining, has not had a huge bearing on where teams wind up in the standings. At least it hasn’t this year. Will it be different in years to come? That is anyone’s guess, but you can count that I’ll be tracking it.

Other random thoughts:
- Congratulations to the Spokane Chiefs for breaking out of the scoreless drought to drop 12 goals combined on the Tri City Americans and Seattle Thunderbirds this weekend. The Portland Winter Hawks thank you for your efforts!

- With all the talk of increasing scoring with the new rules, it still appears that only one player, Troy Brouwer of the Moose Jaw Wariors who has 100 points on the year, will break the century mark in points. This marks the second straight year that only one player has had more than 100 points in the WHL. Two years ago, there were two and three years ago, there were three.

- Regarding the note above, had Brandon Dubinsky played 72 games, his current points per game stat would figure to be 99 points in 72 games.

Beaner
03-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Interesting article.

Although the shoot-out didnt change the standings dramitically, except for SAS/REG as noted by the author, their was one "dramitic" change in positioning with the shoot-out added.

Vancouver currently is tied with MH/CGY with 98 points under the new system, under the old system Van would have a 4 point lead on both these teams, for first overall. A pretty big swing, especially with only 2-3 games left, that has to qualify for having an effect on the standings.

At some point the shoot-out points are going to have an affect on someone not making the playoffs, I have a feeling it will come to pass in either the AHL or the NHL this year and the leagues will re-evaluate this system.

That being said, from a pure entertainment value factor, I enjoy the shoot-outs, and would much rather have those then everyone going home tied.

rezstyle
03-15-2006, 03:35 PM
thanks for the props to Spokane...lol, at least we are saving some face here. I have been a Chief's fan for several years now, beginning when I was going to college and living in Spokane. I still hold weekend season tickets, however it's a 2 hour drive out, 2 hour drive back. Point being, I'm all in favor of the shootout. You get to appreciate going home knowing the trip was worth it. One team won, either way. A tie made the trips get old. I'm sure it will make subtle changes in the standings, but then again, if a team missed the playoffs because of a couple points, they could go back in the season and pick 4 or 5 games they should have won.

Secondly, I don't know how they have been received in your arenas, but in the Can, the crowd is louder than at any point of the game....it's basically watching a penalty shot...then another....then another....