PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs-Hitmen vs 1st Round Opponent

Ricobob
03-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Before the game tonite, listening to Jenna on The Fan harp about how much 1st place is on the line had me questioning...would 1st place be good or bad??

Yes, home ice advantage thoughtout the playoffs and the momentum of capturing 1st would be a great thing...but.... I would rather face Lethbridge than Swift Current in the first round. The Hitmen match up better with the Hurricanes. In fact, Swift matches up well against the Hitmen and the Tigers.

Thoughts???

RunTheGoalie
03-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Given that Swift is only one point back of Lethbridge, we can't really choose our opponent with a win or loss tonight. Better to just go out, win tonight and hope for the best.

Ideally we win, the Broncos beat the Hat and Lethbridge loses. Then we win the division, and get the Hurricanes anyway.

peatfan
03-19-2006, 02:19 AM
This should be a 4 or 5 game series. As long as the guys aren't overconfident and think they just have to show up to win.Most of the games have been close all season so I don't expect any blowouts, just 3-1, 2-0 type of games which suits the Hitmen style. Second round will be a tough one as we will probably be against Moose Jaw (baring a Wheaties upset). We will win that in 6, maybe 7 & then the HAt. :thumb:

RunTheGoalie
03-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Given how many points we have thrown away to ridiculously inferior teams in the last couple weeks, 4 or 5 games might be optimistic.

This team has a ton of talent, but it is playing like garbage right now. Last night only highlighted our biggest problem: This team is not a team.

Right now, we have five individuals out on the ice, none of which knows how to work with his teammates. All night long against Red Deer there was one player working against two or three Rebels, as the other four simply stood and watched, expecting that one player to do all of the work. Nobody is anticpating the play well at all, nobody wants to work through the other team's defense.

We had 35 shots last night, 25 of which were from the outside that any Atom goalie would stop 90% of the time.

The team has been in a funk for a long while now, and Kelly Kisio has done nothing about it. The supposed leaders of this team have done nothing about it.

And we lost the division and regular season titles because of it.

Lethbridge should be a very easy opponent to beat, but if they play as a team, they are going to give us a major scare at best, or even avenge last year at worst.

Unless Kisio reads his "coaching for dummies" book over the next couple days and something finally clicks in his head.

peatfan
03-20-2006, 05:55 AM
It really depends on which Hitmen team shows up. If it is the one who beat Medicine Hat the last game it will be a short series. If however its the team that showed up or should I say never showed up for the two Vancouver games, then I agree with RunTHeGoalie.Hitmen at their best will run out the Canes but if they don't play as a team and all show up then the Canes could very well win (unless Pogge stands on his head). I have faith that the HItmen will make it through to the finals. :thumb:

The_Vulk
03-20-2006, 04:34 PM
The only good thing I can see with the Hitmen having to start the series on the road is that they have to play hard, not get fancy (like they do in the Dome) and take it to the Canes.

This should get their mind-set on play-off hockey.

Mezie Fan
03-21-2006, 08:57 PM
:groovy: The Canes will upset the Hitmen. It might be an upset but it's going to happen. I know that we were sure happy to play Calgary cause the only people that think that Calgary is better than the Hat live in Calgary. Once again Big , Big relief to play Calgary. Canes forever.

SeventhHeaven4U
03-21-2006, 10:05 PM
I have alot of faith and I would honestly love to see the Canes take it to the Hitmen, but honestly, I don't believe they have what it takes to play a solid 60 mins of hockey against a team like Calgary. If we're lucky, we may be able to push it to 6 games. The Canes have alot of heart, but it takes more than heart to win against teams like the HItmen n Tiggers. I know I'm gonna get blasted for this remark, so let the sparks fly!
Good Luck Canes!!

loudi94
03-21-2006, 11:17 PM
I have alot of faith and I would honestly love to see the Canes take it to the Hitmen, but honestly, I don't believe they have what it takes to play a solid 60 mins of hockey against a team like Calgary. If we're lucky, we may be able to push it to 6 games. The Canes have alot of heart, but it takes more than heart to win against teams like the HItmen n Tiggers. I know I'm gonna get blasted for this remark, so let the sparks fly!
Good Luck Canes!!

Totally agree. The Hitmen will win, but they will not steamroll.

RunTheGoalie
03-22-2006, 08:43 AM
:groovy: The Canes will upset the Hitmen. It might be an upset but it's going to happen. I know that we were sure happy to play Calgary cause the only people that think that Calgary is better than the Hat live in Calgary. Once again Big , Big relief to play Calgary. Canes forever.

Given how craptacular your defense is, I don't blame you for prefering the Hitmen to the Tigers. You'd lose 6-1 in four straght if you had to face them.

Thanks for joining WHLfans though. I can only hope you stick around longer than the Canes will. ;)

Redwic
03-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Even if the Hitmen & Hurricanes split the first two games of the series, I don't think that the series will return back to Lethbridge for Game Six.

It's time for the Hitmen to shoot down the Hurricanes.

Go Calgary Go!

Nielson11
03-24-2006, 02:48 PM
My take on the series, which begins tonight here in Lethbridge.

The Hitmen, by far, on paper the better team.

The better blueline...the better goalie....the offense? Probably about the same. If an edge had to be handed out on offense....it would probably have to go to the Canes....but that's the only area they have an advantage, and it's tiny.

The only way the Hurricanes can pull off this major upset...and I mean Major Upset....is if Pogge, struggles.....and since he rarely struggles, I doubt it will happen.

I look at both teams, and I truly think this series comes down to the line of Hogg - Olafson - Kaye.

They will be incharge of shutting down Petterson I'm assuming.

But they will also need to generate some offense, pound the Hitmen Blueline and get into the face of Pogge...watch Hogg crash him tonight, I know he'll run the crease a couple of times.

Anyway.....I predict Hitmen in 5...would like to see it go 6 thought, just for the excitement.

Nielson

loudi94
03-24-2006, 11:31 PM
My take on the series, which begins tonight here in Lethbridge.

The Hitmen, by far, on paper the better team.

The better blueline...the better goalie....the offense? Probably about the same. If an edge had to be handed out on offense....it would probably have to go to the Canes....but that's the only area they have an advantage, and it's tiny.

The only way the Hurricanes can pull off this major upset...and I mean Major Upset....is if Pogge, struggles.....and since he rarely struggles, I doubt it will happen.

I look at both teams, and I truly think this series comes down to the line of Hogg - Olafson - Kaye.

They will be incharge of shutting down Petterson I'm assuming.

But they will also need to generate some offense, pound the Hitmen Blueline and get into the face of Pogge...watch Hogg crash him tonight, I know he'll run the crease a couple of times.

Anyway.....I predict Hitmen in 5...would like to see it go 6 thought, just for the excitement.

Nielson

Nice analysis in hindsight. Pogge struggled and gave the Canes hope. You won't see another floater from the blueline go in this series, Olafson came to play but was sluggish at times, in fact most of the Canes came to play but if Yellowhorn doesn't lay off the donuts and Hagen-Daz he'll have a very brief career in a beer league and that's it. That third goal from one end of the ice to the other was all him. He's lost a couple of steps since he started carrying that extra weight.

The ref stole the show tonight. Was fair in his calls in terms of numbers, but really made some cheap calls.

RunTheGoalie
03-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Sounds like it was a violent game. 2 boarding calls, 2 checking from behind and 8 roughing. Ouch. If that becomes a trend, whoever emerges is going to be battered by the second round.

What the hell is up with the lack of broadcasts for this game? Neither the Hitmen nor the Hurricanes audio links were working, and it was the only game unavailable for the webcast. Crappy.

Given how boring the Cougars-Giants game was, it's a shame this series wasnt the feature.

RunTheGoalie
03-26-2006, 01:21 AM
Tonights game was almost predictable. A team that desperately needed a split to save it's season vs a team that played like it was happy to have a split. Lethbrdige came out hard, Calgary played like it has the past few weeks, and the Hurricanes came out with a well earned, and well deserved win.

I drove down to tonights game, and if I knew Kyle Rehman was going to be the referee, I wouldnt have wasted my time. As he usually is, Rehman was an embarrassment on skates for this league. What a joke he was tonight. I knew almost from puck drop that the game was going to get out of hand, and everyone around me agreed.

First 40 minutes was a litany of brutal calls that had the players, coaches and fans on both sides all yelling at him, and wondering what the hell was a penalty and what wasnt.

But his officiating in the third was the kind of garbage that drives fans away from this league and sport. Just an absolute gong show. Rehman gave the Hurricanes three five on threes by the start of the third, all of which involved cheap calls. But early in the third, as he is about to call a delayed penalty on Reige for roughing, he watches another Hurricane player take five steps to drill a Hitmen player, while also hitting him in the head. Textbook charge, and the kind of hit this game does not need, but Rehman lets it slide because he is already calling one penalty. On that powerplay, Lethbridge got away with a blatant cross check, and several blatant holds with no calls. That was when Rehman finally lost control of this game.

Calgary was frustrated at that point. They were being outplayed, and now it felt like the referee was against them as well. Calling things one way, but not the other. Predictably, they started sniping at him every time by, every whistle, every play. And frankly, Calgary had a legitimate complaint. Of course, as always happens with this clown, Rehman's ego got in the way, and he had to show the Hitmen that he was the guy in charge. That he was the star of the game. Didn't matter if it was legal or not, if the Hitmen touched a Lethbridge player, it was a penalty. Clean check, dirty check, they were about half of each, the referee let his own emotions get the better of him, and it just destroyed what was already a poor effort on his part.

Meanwhile as Rehman is losing control of the game, our idiot head coach is losing control of the bench. I have no idea what Kisio was doing out there tonight, because he sure wasnt coaching. You're down two, your getting in trouble becuase the referee has it out for you, and you just let your players go out and take penalty after penalty after penalty? Regardless of the legitimacy of his beef with the referee, Kisio has to maintain control of his bench, and he has to keep his players emotions in check. We've come back on these guys before, and we could have done it again. Frankly, it shows how poor a team Lethbridge is that they didnt hit double digits with all of the powerplays Rehman handed them.

This game was winnable, even with Lethbridge carrying the first 40 minutes. If it wasnt for the leadership vaccuum on the Hitmen bench, the result could have been different.

Just an absolute disgrace of a hockey game brought about by two guys who should not have jobs in this league.

I agree completely with what Brad Curle had to say following this game. The WHL needs to sit down and look at the officiating in this series. 45 powerplays in two games is a joke, and just makes this league look bad.

Anyway, congrats to Lethbridge on the split, and here's hoping that the players can overcome the complete incompetence of Kisio to play three strong games at home and wrap this thing up.

Swando
03-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Craptacular. Now there is a word for the NHL. Canondating shot by Danny Galivan. Crapta...... Leaves lot to the imagination. lol Loved the reply by the way. Giants vs Hitmen final would be a good series. Sorry Tigers, Cougars, Ice, Rockets etc....

peatfan
03-26-2006, 02:58 AM
and a sick joke that should be put to rest. Maybe he can take Herman and join the CNIB league. Could be president & vice-president. Why do the insist on being the stars of the game. Call it a pentaly in the first, don't call it in the second and then call it on only one team in the third & then they wonder why the players are questioning his mothers sexual appetite. Like Runthe Goalie stated, the league should look into the ridiculous amount of pp in this series. It's not like we had a bitter regular season fued with the Canes. I guess we now have a game at noon on Saturday.(the one that the HITMEN wraps up this series)

RunTheGoalie
03-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Well, the Hurricanes showed their true colours tonight. And that colour is yellow. What a bunch of cowards. What few fans Lethbridge has should be embarrassed of themselves for supporting that team.

Yashar Farmanara spears Freddy Peterson, and when White goes after him for it, the coward turtles. If you are going to skewer a guy, at least have the balls to defend yourself. Of course, he goes off the ice with a big smile, starts taunting the crowd, even giving the fans the finger. Yeah, real big man there buddy.

And then you have Brad Riege, who does the same thing three seconds later, and like Farmanara, ran away and hid behind a linesman to save himself.

The WHL seriously needs to look at both of these plays, and quite frankly both players should be suspended. There is no place in hockey for that garbage, and while I would personally love to see the Hitmen get even for both dirty plays, I hope the players do realize that there is no way to do it. You hit them dirty, you take a penalty. You try to fight them, the cowards will run and try to sucker you into a penalty. Use their dirty play as a motivator to destroy the Hurricanes on the ice. Sending them home early is the best retirubtion.

Otherwise, it was a typical Chris Savage called game. As usual, Savage completely turned the game around by making a simply horrible call on the "check from behind" by Reich. Comes out of the box, and glides into the puck carrier to simply knock him off the puck. Causes a turnover that would have led to a 3 on 1. If Calgary scores, the game is over. Instead, Lethbridge gets a cheap powerplay - after getting away half dozen cross checks because Savage felt sorry for their pitiful penalty kill - and scores to get them back into the game.

Oddly enough, I remember when Stone charged the entire width of the ice to drill Carson in last year's playoffs with intent to injure, and there was no call. Reich even let up on the Lethbridge player, and still gets penalized. Nice consistancy there.

That play turned the game right around. A weak goal by Pogge after, who for some stupid reason went with a new set of equipment tonight, fought it all night long and we paid for it. Not surprising he was much better when he went back to the old equipment for the third period.

So, 3-3 game, Lethbridge has all the momentum, and our coach is doing what, exactly? Once again, Kisio is completely useless out there, and we are paying for it on the ice.

One thing is very clear three games in: Lethbridge is a vastly inferior team to Calgary. They rely on obstruction just to hang, and a lot of luck and mystery penalty calls. Other than an eight minute stretch in the second, the Hitmen controlled virtually the entire game. However, Dyck is simply embarrassing the hell out of Kisio this series, and that is proving to be the difference. When Lethbridge gets into trouble, he's been able to regroup and refocus his charges. He's been able to draw up a plan that has frustrated the Hitmen. Kisio just seems to be along for the ride, and when the team faces adversity, he has no answers.

This is a series that Lethbridge has no buisness leading, and if the Hitmen go down, Kisio's pink slip damn well better be drawn up the day after.

PuckWatcher
03-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Unbelievable, you should give your head a shake. Racism shouldn't be tolerated on this board and you should be disgusted with yourself. Obviously you are either very young, or very immature.

RunTheGoalie
03-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Or maybe you completely lack an understaning of the english language?

Yellow = slang for "coward". And a guy who spears someone, turtles, then taunts the fans is very much a coward, no matter what his heritage.

I could care less where Farmanara's family originally comes from. Players like him are an embarrassment to this sport, and should have no place in hockey.

PuckWatcher
03-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Whatever you say hahaha. Lethbridge has deserved the win the last two nights, and should have had the win in the first game. Calgary was extremly chippy back in Lethbridge. Obviously you didn't see those games.

RunTheGoalie
03-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Actually, I was at game two.

Lethbridge deserved tonights game about as much as Calgary deserved game one. Take that how you like.

loudi94
03-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Well, the Hurricanes showed their true colours tonight. And that colour is yellow. What a bunch of cowards. What few fans Lethbridge has should be embarrassed of themselves for supporting that team.

What a yellow piece of crap Yashar Farmanara is. Spears Freddy Peterson, and when White goes after him for it, the coward turtles. If you are going to skewer a guy, at least have the balls to defend yourself. Of course, he goes off the ice with a big smile, starts taunting the crowd, even giving the fans the finger. Yeah, real big man there buddy.

And then you have Brad Riege, who does the same thing three seconds later, and like Farmanara, ran away and hid behind a linesman to save himself.

The WHL seriously needs to look at both of these plays, and quite frankly both players should be suspended. There is no place in hockey for that garbage, and while I would personally love to see the Hitmen get even for both dirty plays, I hope the players do realize that there is no way to do it. You hit them dirty, you take a penalty. You try to fight them, the cowards will run and try to sucker you into a penalty. Use their dirty play as a motivator to destroy the Hurricanes on the ice. Sending them home early is the best retirubtion.

Otherwise, it was a typical Chris Savage called game. As usual, Savage completely turned the game around by making a simply horrible call on the "check from behind" by Reich. Comes out of the box, and glides into the puck carrier to simply knock him off the puck. Causes a turnover that would have led to a 3 on 1. If Calgary scores, the game is over. Instead, Lethbridge gets a cheap powerplay - after getting away half dozen cross checks because Savage felt sorry for their pitiful penalty kill - and scores to get them back into the game.

Oddly enough, I remember when Stone charged the entire width of the ice to drill Carson in last year's playoffs with intent to injure, and there was no call. Reich even let up on the Lethbridge player, and still gets penalized. Nice consistancy there.

That play turned the game right around. A weak goal by Pogge after, who for some stupid reason went with a new set of equipment tonight, fought it all night long and we paid for it. Not surprising he was much better when he went back to the old equipment for the third period.

So, 3-3 game, Lethbridge has all the momentum, and our coach is doing what, exactly? Once again, Kisio is completely useless out there, and we are paying for it on the ice.

One thing is very clear three games in: Lethbridge is a vastly inferior team to Calgary. They rely on obstruction just to hang, and a lot of luck and mystery penalty calls. Other than an eight minute stretch in the second, the Hitmen controlled virtually the entire game. However, Dyck is simply embarrassing the hell out of Kisio this series, and that is proving to be the difference. When Lethbridge gets into trouble, he's been able to regroup and refocus his charges. He's been able to draw up a plan that has frustrated the Hitmen. Kisio just seems to be along for the ride, and when the team faces adversity, he has no answers.

This is a series that Lethbridge has no buisness leading, and if the Hitmen go down, Kisio's pink slip damn well better be drawn up the day after.

Your post pretty much sums up what is transpiring in this series. An over confident bunch using every excuse in the book for why they are trailing in a series they should have swept in 4. If you missed game 1 and 2, the Hitmen were totally outworked. Blame the refs, blame the other team, blame the coach, blame everyone except the players. This series is 2-1 because Calgary's best players are not playing at their best, end of story. When they do, it's series over. Better question is did they overlook the Hurricanes? If so, it's definitely a coaching problem. Take your mohawks and camo outfits for example and realize that this team may have gone into this series with a bad attitude.
Even as a 'Canes fan I was looking forward to seeing a Hitmen/Tigers series. I'm not sure that series would be very close anymore unless something drastic happens.

PuckWatcher
03-28-2006, 11:59 PM
The sad thing here is that i'm a Calgary Fan. Calgary has lost their cool and taken dumb penalties, and that seems to have been a huge factor.

RunTheGoalie
03-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Your post pretty much sums up what is transpiring in this series. An over confident bunch using every excuse in the book for why they are trailing in a series they should have swept in 4. If you missed game 1 and 2, the Hitmen were totally outworked. Blame the refs, blame the other team, blame the coach, blame everyone except the players. This series is 2-1 because Calgary's best players are not playing at their best, end of story. When they do, it's series over. Better question is did they overlook the Hurricanes? If so, it's definitely a coaching problem. Take your mohawks and camo outfits for example and realize that this team may have gone into this series with a bad attitude.
Even as a 'Canes fan I was looking forward to seeing a Hitmen/Tigers series. I'm not sure that series would be very close anymore unless something drastic happens.

No excuses. Kisio is getting outcoached, and that is why the series is as it is. You pretty much agreed with everything I said: If the Hitmen are on their game, they will clobber Lethbridge.

However, if you were at tonights game, you cannot deny that that penalty to Reich turned the game around. But, as everyone knows, Savage is good for one game altering penalty every night. The Hitmen were still up 3-2, and still should have won that game. The ref was a factor, not an excuse.

Pogge's weak goal was what won it for Lethbridge. That gave them complete control for a brief time, and by the time the Hitmen regrouped, it was 4-3. A couple of great shots made it 6-3.

Poor decisions certantly are doing the Hitmen in. They were much smarter penalty wise this game, though I am at a loss to explain why White was penalized for hitting Olafson with a clean shoulder to shoulder check as the latter was admiring his pass.

RunTheGoalie
03-29-2006, 12:07 AM
The sad thing here is that i'm a Calgary Fan. Calgary has lost their cool and taken dumb penalties, and that seems to have been a huge factor.

Indeed, and that is why the cowardly Hurricanes are behaving as they are. They want Calgary to focus on revenge rather than hockey. I guess Hurricane players have no problems swallowing their pride and manhood. Personally, I would rather the Hitmen win or lose like men.

loudi94
03-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Indeed, and that is why the cowardly Hurricanes are behaving as they are. They want Calgary to focus on revenge rather than hockey. I guess Hurricane players have no problems swallowing their pride and manhood. Personally, I would rather the Hitmen win or lose like men.
I'm confused as to why you refer to them as "cowardly". Getting uder the opposition's skin is part of the game. I'm sure you didn't complain too loudly about Ville Niemenen in 2004. Also taking five 10 minute misconducts in 2 games complaining to the ref isn't exactly manly behaviour.

Mileflames
03-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Being an ex goalie myself, I noticed that Pogge's has lost his confidences. He did not look sharp at all last night. It is time for a goalie change.

RunTheGoalie
03-29-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm confused as to why you refer to them as "cowardly". Getting uder the opposition's skin is part of the game. I'm sure you didn't complain too loudly about Ville Niemenen in 2004. Also taking five 10 minute misconducts in 2 games complaining to the ref isn't exactly manly behaviour.

Getting under the opponents skin is all fine and dandy.

Spearing your opponent, not once, but twice is not.

It is completely unacceptable behavior on top of being very dangerous.

Refusing to defend yourself after you attack your opponent like that is the mark of a true coward. White could have destroyed Farmanara if he so chose. But White let up because there is no honor in pounding the crap out of a guy who fell to his knees begging out of defending himself. That Farmanara followed that up by taunting the fans on the way off the ice shows how completely devoid of class he truely is.

At least when Riege speared another Hitmen player and then ran and hid behind the linesman, he had sense enough to just skate off the ice afterward.

There was no need for those spears, and quite frankly, I am embarrassed for the fans of Lethbridge for cheering for those players. It's yellow hockey, and something that should never be encouraged, supported or condoned.

Hitmen1
03-29-2006, 08:48 AM
The biggest reason why the Hitmen are trailing in the series is goaltending imo. How often in the regular season did Pogge steal us a game? The rest of the team needs to pick their games up but Pogge just might have to steal a couple games for the Hitmen. There is no chance that Spence gets in. I still say Hitmen in 6!

Pogge (http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2006/03/29/1510392-sun.html)

Nielson11
03-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Saying the Canes have no business leading the series is ridiculous.

They should have been up 2-0 heading to Calgary. The Hitmen were clearly out played in both of the those games.

ScottyWazz
03-29-2006, 12:27 PM
After his pad switch, Pogge looked a little better. However, I don't think the problem was the pads. With the exception of the first and third goals, the Canes just blew the puck by Pogge. It looked like he was off his angles all night and they got the better of him.

They cited Pogge as having a medical deal, which is why he wasn't available to the media, but I think that could be considered for just about everyone on that team to get their head out of the shade of where the sun doesn't shine and then play the game they know how to.

I don't know if putting in Spence would be the answer, but if they did it only for a period to send a message, then that would be good enough-- if Spencey can play well, keep him in. You can't really lose much out of it.

It's a shame that Lineker's four assist night can get mared by just undisciplined play and an overall lack of urgency.

RunTheGoalie
03-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Saying the Canes have no business leading the series is ridiculous.

They should have been up 2-0 heading to Calgary. The Hitmen were clearly out played in both of the those games.

That was pretty much the point. A team as bad as Lethbridge should not be outplaying the Hitmen.

Hitmen1
03-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Well the Hitmen come through in the must win game of the year. It was a great game but the penalty killing was better but now they need to get disciplined and fast. Pogge rebounded with what sounded like a solid game. I am making the trip down for game 5. Hope to see some of you there.

RunTheGoalie
03-30-2006, 11:08 PM
A lot of stupid penalties in the second, and even though the crowd was pissed, they were all the right calls.

However, I would like to see McLean step forward and justify why Roman Wick wasnt even assessed even just a minor minor for elbowing Moore on a hit that should have been a major + game. Or why Lethbridge gets to knee players without penalty.

McLean was more than happy to call those against Calgary. The officiating in this series has been completely embarrassing.

None the less, great game by the Hitmen to overcome both the clown in the stripes, and their own boneheaded plays (et tu Reich?) to tie this series.

Gotta go out and do the same for game 5.

peatfan
03-31-2006, 07:22 AM
I don't have to tell in whose favour. Agree about the non calls to Wick and Hogg (kneeing Freddie). Fans more upset about the non calls than about the Hitmen pentalies.

LHF
03-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Maybe the non-calls were because he (McLean) realized he screwed up big time by allowing the goal that shouldn't have been a goal!!! Or maybe you guys just need to take off those rose colored glasses... :thumb:

RunTheGoalie
03-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Well, thanks for proving that you weren't at game 4. If you think that rose coloured glasses is leading us to wonder about the officiating double standard by McLean then you clearly weren't at last nights game.

The controversial goal may have played a factor, but frankly, if it did, it only proves the argument that McLean was a joke last night. He might have made a mistake - as that goal did look iffy - but any referee who spends the rest of the game trying to even it up does not deserve to have a job in this league.

Lethbridge should not be given carte blanche to go out and try to injure players because the referee might have screwed up on a goal.

loudi94
03-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Well, thanks for proving that you weren't at game 4. If you think that rose coloured glasses is leading us to wonder about the officiating double standard by McLean then you clearly weren't at last nights game.

The controversial goal may have played a factor, but frankly, if it did, it only proves the argument that McLean was a joke last night. He might have made a mistake - as that goal did look iffy - but any referee who spends the rest of the game trying to even it up does not deserve to have a job in this league.

Lethbridge should not be given carte blanche to go out and try to injure players because the referee might have screwed up on a goal.

I can't believe that it's four games in a row that the refs have blatantly tried to screw the Hitmen over. This most certainly should be investigated by league officials-unless they're in on it...I bet they would much rather see a half-full 5000 seat arena in Lethbridge than over 10000 boisterous fans in Calgary, I'm sure of it.
4 games and Hitmen fans (and players) have whined about the reffing each time. Is it just the culture of the franchise that causes it? Shut up and play the game. If they would have done that from the beginning, the series would be over.

LHF
03-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Run The Goalie...

Actually, I was at both games in Calgary. And although I agree with you about McLean being bad (actually, all the refs in this series have been bad), he/they have been bad both ways. And if you can't see that, then you really do have to try to be a little less of a homer. I've read all your posts about this series, and you just can't seem to give any credit to the Canes. You seem to think that what happened in the regular season has some bearing on what is going to happen in the playoffs. You need to realize all the turmoil this team has been through this year, and that they are very young. Not making excuses, but the Canes have outplayed and outworked your team through the first 3 games. They have gelled as a team, and are playing really well together. Healthy, they have proven they can play with the best of them. ie:Hitmen. I hope, (and it seems) your team is and has taken the Hurricanes a little to lightly and refuse to give them any credit. Just like you. ;)

RunTheGoalie
03-31-2006, 07:18 PM
I can't believe that it's four games in a row that the refs have blatantly tried to screw the Hitmen over. This most certainly should be investigated by league officials-unless they're in on it...I bet they would much rather see a half-full 5000 seat arena in Lethbridge than over 10000 boisterous fans in Calgary, I'm sure of it.
4 games and Hitmen fans (and players) have whined about the reffing each time. Is it just the culture of the franchise that causes it? Shut up and play the game. If they would have done that from the beginning, the series would be over.

Nothing shows an inability to debate like the need to fabricate arguments and attribute them to the person you are trying to debate. Where, exactly, did I arue that the referees are "blatantly trying to screw the Hitmen over" or that they would much rather "see a half full...arena in lethbridge..."?

I've stated the officiating has been embarrassing, and it has. Period. I stated the Hitmen did not deserve to win either games 2 or 3, but I have also stated that the referees haven't done much to earn anyone's respect this series. I have also made it very clear that in games 2 and 4, both teams have either been left wondering what the hell is going on, or that both got screwed.

If you can't debate my arguments without making things up, then you probably should not be posting.

RunTheGoalie
03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Run The Goalie...

Actually, I was at both games in Calgary. And although I agree with you about McLean being bad (actually, all the refs in this series have been bad), he/they have been bad both ways. And if you can't see that, then you really do have to try to be a little less of a homer. I've read all your posts about this series, and you just can't seem to give any credit to the Canes. You seem to think that what happened in the regular season has some bearing on what is going to happen in the playoffs. You need to realize all the turmoil this team has been through this year, and that they are very young. Not making excuses, but the Canes have outplayed and outworked your team through the first 3 games. They have gelled as a team, and are playing really well together. Healthy, they have proven they can play with the best of them. ie:Hitmen. I hope, (and it seems) your team is and has taken the Hurricanes a little to lightly and refuse to give them any credit. Just like you. ;)

As I just said, I have made it very clear that the officials have been bad, period. However, I will note that you have not been able to disagree with a single specific penalty call that I brought up where Calgary got hosed. I offered them not as an excuse for losing, but as an example of why this has been such a terrible series. Certantly Lethbridge has had their share of bad calls/non calls as well.

Also, I have already said that the Hurricanes have been outworking us. And, as I have said, that is unacceptable from a Hitmen perspective, because there is no way they should even be in this series. And while you may not like it, the Hurricanes do not deserve credit for the Hitmen's lack of discipline, coaching and teamwork. The Hitmen ended the season losing a lot of easily winnable games to very bad hockey clubs. Lethbridge is hardly doing anything special that other teams have not being doing lately.

The Hitmen's struggles are all on the Hitmen.

That said: The Canes are working hard, as I have already stated. They are playing well as a team, as I have already stated. Their coach is a hell of a lot better than ours, as I have already stated.

If you want more credit than that, show me you can carry even a single period without spending half of it on the powerplay.

loudi94
03-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Nothing shows an inability to debate like the need to fabricate arguments and attribute them to the person you are trying to debate. Where, exactly, did I arue that the referees are "blatantly trying to screw the Hitmen over" or that they would much rather "see a half full...arena in lethbridge..."?

I've stated the officiating has been embarrassing, and it has. Period. I stated the Hitmen did not deserve to win either games 2 or 3, but I have also stated that the referees haven't done much to earn anyone's respect this series. I have also made it very clear that in games 2 and 4, both teams have either been left wondering what the hell is going on, or that both got screwed.

If you can't debate my arguments without making things up, then you probably should not be posting.

I'm making nothing up. Go back and read your posts. You have time and again brought up examples of Hurricane "atrocities" that were not penalized, yet with the exception of one comment you made ("A lot of stupid penalties in the second, and even though the crowd was pissed, they were all the right calls.") haven't laid any of the blame for the calls being made to anything but poor officiating. In fact you referred to Rehman's, Savage's and Mclean's reffing as one-sided in a number of your posts.

'Canes11
04-01-2006, 05:29 PM
I was unfortunatly unable to attened todays game 5 matchup between the 'Canes and Hitmen. However in reading the game sheet I think that it is clear that Lethbridge is the better team. It is a well known fact to those fans in Lethbridge that MacIassc has a vendetta against the 'Canes. That said some of the penalties delt to them were more than likely legitimate. However any team that can spend 32 mins on a Penalty Kill and only allow 1 goal on the Power Play should be comended especially when they are so young. The Hitmen must just not want to win to be given over half the game (including a shot less 5-3) on the power play and still only score once in 32 mins. How sad is that. Furthermore you can't tell me that Calgary didn't deserve penalties this game... it discusts me. 2 penalties all game only one of those resulting in a Lethbridge powerplay. So really who is the better team out there.

RunTheGoalie
04-01-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm making nothing up. Go back and read your posts. You have time and again brought up examples of Hurricane "atrocities" that were not penalized, yet with the exception of one comment you made ("A lot of stupid penalties in the second, and even though the crowd was pissed, they were all the right calls.") haven't laid any of the blame for the calls being made to anything but poor officiating. In fact you referred to Rehman's, Savage's and Mclean's reffing as one-sided in a number of your posts.

That would be because they were poor calls, or poor non-calls, as the case may be. The problem this entire series has been the lack of consistancy, and the fact that the referees have completely failed to call the games both ways. This afternoon was another excellent example, because while Lethbridge was ridiculously undiciplined today, the powerplays should not have been 10-1.

My argument has been consistant for five games now: the officiating has been an embarrassment to this sport for the entire series.

RunTheGoalie
04-01-2006, 05:59 PM
I was unfortunatly unable to attened todays game 5 matchup between the 'Canes and Hitmen. However in reading the game sheet I think that it is clear that Lethbridge is the better team. It is a well known fact to those fans in Lethbridge that MacIassc has a vendetta against the 'Canes. That said some of the penalties delt to them were more than likely legitimate. However any team that can spend 32 mins on a Penalty Kill and only allow 1 goal on the Power Play should be comended especially when they are so young. The Hitmen must just not want to win to be given over half the game (including a shot less 5-3) on the power play and still only score once in 32 mins. How sad is that. Furthermore you can't tell me that Calgary didn't deserve penalties this game... it discusts me. 2 penalties all game only one of those resulting in a Lethbridge powerplay. So really who is the better team out there.

I'll tell you right now that Lethbridge's three best penalty killers were Ryan White, Brett Carson and Jeff Schultz.

On our first three powerplays, as well as the 5 on 3 to start the third, the entire powerplay went like this:

Carson pass to White, pass to Carson, to Schultz, to Carson, to Schultz, to Carson, to White, to Schultz, to Carson, to Schultz, to White, to Carson, over his stick and out of the zone.

One would have expected that at some point, the Hitmen would have made an adjustment and tried something new. But that would require having a coach.

When the Hitmen finally did take an actual shot, they very often missed the net, or just tipped it wide.

Other than those four powerplays, the Canes penalty kill was decent, but the Hitmen powerplay was atrocious today, and much of that had to do with our blue liners.

As it was, the Canes were very clearly NOT the better team this afternoon, now matter how much you would like to delude yourself otherwise. They generated almost no sustained pressure at any point in the game, and were very fortunate that the Hitmen got back into their late season habits of trying to get too fancy with the puck.

The Hitmen should have watched last nights Flames game for clues on how they are going to score: drive the puck at the goalie and crash the net.

BTW, you might want to actually read the gamesheet. Lethbridge spent 20 minutes on the penalty kill, not 32.

Rebel66
04-02-2006, 12:13 AM
Run The Goalie:

As someone who criticizes the ref at every opportunity both here and on Calgarypuck I laughed when I saw today's gamesheet. You would have been screaming bloody murder if it had been the other way around wouldn't you? I cannot believe the Lethbridge parade to the penalty box with not one Hitmen going until late in the second period. Wow. Now you don't usually see such lobsided calls outside of a Vancouver Canucks home game when they are trailing.

edit: Not that I'm having a go at you, RTG. Just found it amusing. I know that we both agree that the standard of refereeing in general is pretty low.

Swando
04-02-2006, 03:54 AM
Are you saying the Canucks get a break when trailing? Tell me what usually puts them behind --- is a steady stream of penalties!! And I'm not a Canuck fan - just live here. When you have a Bertuzzi on your team you are maked believe me.

peatfan
04-02-2006, 06:31 AM
Hitmen played a disciplined game and the main reason was the ref was calling the first infraction so the Hitmen never had to retaliate. I agree that the Hitmen lost their focus/composure in the first 4 games mainly because the original foul wasn't being called. I'm sure that 2/3 of their pentalies were the second foul or late in the third when they were chasing the refs(or what ever the h#ll you want to call them). Today the ref called the first infraction and when the Canes finally realized it we had a great third period. Good for the Canes to get under the Hitmen skin. It worked for 4 games, now it doesn't so they have to rely on skill and they won't do it. Maybe next year as they have a great bunch of young players which I can't wait to see next year. Like I've stated here many times. Ben Wright is a fantastice player, has illegal shinpads as he blocks so many pucks (this is a compliment by the way) and Lclerc just hasn't buckle in net. THeir pk has been fantastic but like a previous post said "Carson to White to Schultz to White, etc" helps the Canes killing pk. I'll be surprised to see the Canes until next year. At least this summer you have a lot to look forward to if you are a Canes fan.

loudi94
04-02-2006, 09:59 AM
At least this summer you have a lot to look forward to if you are a Canes fan.

If I had a nickel every time I heard that.
Oh to hell with it, I'll believe it again this summer. ;)

RunTheGoalie
04-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Run The Goalie:

As someone who criticizes the ref at every opportunity both here and on Calgarypuck I laughed when I saw today's gamesheet. You would have been screaming bloody murder if it had been the other way around wouldn't you? I cannot believe the Lethbridge parade to the penalty box with not one Hitmen going until late in the second period. Wow. Now you don't usually see such lobsided calls outside of a Vancouver Canucks home game when they are trailing.

edit: Not that I'm having a go at you, RTG. Just found it amusing. I know that we both agree that the standard of refereeing in general is pretty low.

Absolutely, and I have no problem with any Lethbridge fan being pissed at MacIssac yesterday. He didn't give them a single break. The one penalty that really pissed even me off was when he T'd up the Hurricanes coach for yelling at MacIssac for not blowing the whistle when Farmanara took a shot to the ankle, afterwhich Calgary quickly scored.

Now, MacIssac made the right call there, as Farmanara got right back up and tried to play his position, despite being obviously hobbled, and Lethbridge never gained posession of the puck. But seriously, let them vent a little. The referees in this series have been way too quick with handing out unsportsmanlike conduct and misconduct penalties. They should be spending more time considering why both teams are upset at them.

Rebel66
04-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Are you saying the Canucks get a break when trailing? Tell me what usually puts them behind --- is a steady stream of penalties!! And I'm not a Canuck fan - just live here. When you have a Bertuzzi on your team you are maked believe me.

Well, we can agree on one thing; I'm not a Canucks fan either! :D

ScottyWazz
04-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Now, it's a hurry up and wait formation as the East wraps up their two spots. I was surprised to see Schultz get the GWG and not be on the power play, but of course, that's when the power play shoots the pucks. Good showing by the Hurricanes in this series and definitely a wake-up call for the Hitmen if they think they'll cruise through the playoffs.

Also, I saw this in Saturday's game, but is it odd to anyone else that Kisio won't set up Schultz and Carson on their off-wings to get a good one-timer?? Having to go across their body to catch a pass not only takes time off the clock, but also is a dangerous play.

Nielson11
04-03-2006, 01:30 AM
As good as Pogge played in the last couple games.

I still think Leclerc was the better keeper in the series....not bad for 16 year old.

ScottyWazz
04-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Leclerc is going to be a stud when he gets more games in. The one thing that he needs to work on is on his rebound control. He seemed to pop shots out back to the blue-line on some shots, but he'll get that with time. He's definitely going to be something in the next few years though.

RunTheGoalie
04-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Well, the kid took 50 shots and still kept his team in it. Even given the Hitmen's offensive woes, that is a pretty damned impressive feat.

Scotty - I noticed the same thing with our powerplay on Saturday. Not only did they not cross over at any point, they very rarely even tried to get themselves in position to shoot. Very easy for the opposing team to defend against you when it is so easy to see that there is no chance of a shot coming. Kisio et al really need to take a look at that going into the next round.