PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Hoff helps Ams stay in hunt for No. 3 playoff spot

HAF
03-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Newbie Hoff helps Ams stay in hunt for No. 3 playoff spot
This story was published Saturday, March 18th, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Drew Hoff arrived in the Tri-Cities on Tuesday, played his first Western Hockey League game Wednesday and by the end of the week the 17-year-old center had earned the admiration of the 4,714 fans at Toyota Center.

Friday, Hoff scored his first WHL goal at 19:50 of the first period in helping the Tri-City Americans beat Prince George 7-4 and remain in the hunt for the No. 3 playoff spot in the U.S. Division.

"I was so excited," Hoff said of his goal. "I made the decision on Sunday to come here and I'm excited to be here. I can't describe how much I've learned the last couple of days."

The Americans (29-34-4-3, 65 points) are just three points back of third-place Portland, which lost a 4-1 game to Seattle on Friday. Tri-Cities plays host to the Cougars (35-29-2-4) again tonight, while the Winter Hawks play the Thunderbirds again. The Americans play at Portland on Sunday.

"Both teams played pretty loose tonight," said Americans coach Don Nachbaur. "There is incentive for us, Portland lost. This was a confidence builder, but we have two more games to play."

Hoff was one of six Tri-City players to score, and he got a helping hand from veteran Ian McDonald, who sent the puck around the boards where rookie Dan Watt won a battle with the Cougars' Curtis Cooper. Watt slid the puck out to Hoff cutting to the net and Hoff beat Real Cyr glove side at the left post.

Hoff's goal was the third of the first period for the Americans, who also got goals from McDonald and Alex Aldred.

With the Cougars leading 1-0 off a goal by Fred Wikner, McDonald scored his 35th of the season at 11:55.

Aldred won a face-off with Greg Gardner, McDonald took the puck into the slot and beat Cyr stick side for a power-play goal.

Aldred gave the Americans a 2-1 lead at 14:46, slicing between Cyr and Cooper to knock in a rebound off a shot by McDonald.

Hoff's goal gave the Americans a 3-1 lead at the end of the first period.

Scoring continued to be contagious for Tri-Cities in the second period as Matt Schneider gave the Americans a 4-1 lead with a short-handed goal at 2:48.

Eric Hunter scored a pair of goals for the Cougars in the second period to pull Prince George within 4-3, but it would get no closer. The Cougars have lost seven straight on the road.

Taylor Procyshen, McDonald and Jason Beeman scored in the third for the Americans to put the game out of reach.

Stay-Puft
03-18-2006, 05:12 PM
I have been impressed with Hoff's effort the last two games. He skates well, seems to have good vision and gets in the right spots. He plays very similar to Procyshen. He's been getting alot of ice time since arriving. He's complimented Broda very well, even playing on the power play last night.

I was at the other end, but I could have sworn he hit that puck out of mid-air. HAF - what did you see?

HAF
03-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I wouldnt call it out of mid air but it was definately a well executed shot on the bounce.

Stay-Puft
03-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks HAF. I didn't think it was "slid" across, as I saw his stick off the ice when he shot. Great goal regardless of 1st WHL goal or not.