PDA

View Full Version : Home Ice Advantage

Beaner
03-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Was looking at the schedule and noticed a big difference for the Hitmen in their schedule, due to their rink being booked during the Playoffs.

Calgary Hitmen vs. Lethbridge Hurricanes
(Series D)
24-Mar Calgary @ Lethbridge 7:00
25-Mar Calgary @ Lethbridge 7:00
28-Mar Lethbridge @ Calgary 7:00
30-Mar Lethbridge @ Calgary 7:00
1-Apr Lethbridge @ Calgary 12:00*
2-Apr Calgary @ Lethbridge 7:00*
4-Apr Lethbridge @ Calgary 7:00*

So its 2 away, 3 at home and then alternating. Looking at this, I wonder if this is a more benificial schedule for the home team, or is it worse than the current 2-2-1-1-1 format?

Looking at it form a Finanacial perspective it sure does cut down on travel. I like the idea of the team that finished ahead in teh standings getting those 3 home games in a row, and getting game 7 of course.

Is this 2-3-1-1 format a better format overall for the WHL, to use? Personally I think it is, both for the team that finished ahead in the standings, and for travel/finances.

The_Vulk
03-20-2006, 04:24 PM
If the opening games were not on the weekend, were the home team makes a much better attendence.

As it is with the Hitmen (because of the World Figure Skating Championships), the Hitmen had to forfit the weekend home games that starts the series and had to start on the road instead.

Great for Lethbridge to have those two weekend games and starting the series with the home-advantage.

As for the WHL, if the playoffs started during the week, then going to the 2-3-1-1-1 format would be of a benefit for the team that finished ahead (and getting the weekend games/crowds.) But with all the series starting on the weekend, it would take too much away from a team finishing ahead/home ice advantage.