PDA

View Full Version : The Passion of the David Murray

Willis on the Welfare
02-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I have never met David Murray. He seems like a nice kid. He sits in the stands with his suit cause he's a healthy scratch. He does not have the arrogant swagger that many junior hockey players seem to have. He is not a well known player in the WHL. He is a two way player who works hard. At 18 he is playing with his second WHL team and it is likely not his last. He seems content, happy to be here and not even a little bit pissed off.

He should be mad. He is a good kid with class and he won't get pissed off, but he has a right to be. I'm just a welfare bum, mad at the world. I'll be mad for him.

David Murray has TWICE been screwed over by the suits in the WHL in the last two months. The WHL referees and execs are certainly making no secret of the fact that they have a two sets of rules. Rules for marquee players and rules for players like David Murray. As a Lethbridge Hurricane, Murray finished a hard body check on Trevor Glass. Murray got the elbow up a little high, but the damage was done when Glass lost his helmet and his head hit the ice. A lost helmet caused a two minute elbowing call to swell to five games suspended. Amazingly just months earlier in the same building Ryan Hollweg, a marquee player in the dub did pretty much the same thing and took a year off the career of Colin Stone. Hollweg was not even assesed a two minute minor, but Alex Lentowich got suspended for his emotional reaction to the situation. The tape of the Colin Stone hit was reviewed and one of the lines used by Richard Doerkson (the suit in charge of discipline) was "the video was inconclusive".

Back to the Murray situation. He sat out his five games and was promptly traded before he would ever play again as a hurricane. One of his first games as a Bronco sees him play the Kootenay Ice. As fate would have it Big Brother Jeff Glass plays for the opposition. He verbally assaults Murray during the pre-game warm up, and even gives him the lumber in the first period. Murray, trying to impress his new coach goes hard to the goal in the second period. What happened next has been the talk of the league for the last two weeks. Murray took repeated shots to the head as revenge for a hit he should have got two minutes for but got five games. Jeff Glass for his pre-meditated attack? Two minutes served by someone else. Richard Doerkson again saw the tape and guess what. "the video was inconclusive". Amazing how the camera picks up the star players of the WHL like they were the Loch Ness Monster, but saw David Murray and made an example out of him.

The silver lining in this situation? If David Murray could go back and not hit Trevor Glass, I'm pretty sure he'd change that moment and not finish the check. David Murray has become a better person for the mistakes of himself, the mistakes of the league and the immaturity of an All Star goalie. Jeff Glass has learned that there are no consequences for breaking the rules. In this life lesson, Jeff Glass has failed. It may not seem like much of a victory to some, but David Murray is a better person than Jeff Glass, whether the suits in the WHL office believe that or not.

Willi$

AHTIGERS
02-13-2005, 11:34 PM
First question i have to ask is did you see either the hollweg hit, or the murray hit on glass? if you did you would have realized one very important fact. they did NOT take place in the same building. I am a tiger's fan but have always been a huge Colin Stone fan as well. I don't believe that the Ryan Hollweg hit was 100% clean and I feel absolutely horrible that Colin has missed the entire season. But i do not think it is fair to compare these two hits. What was done to Trevor Glass was heart stopping. I was at that game, i saw trevor unconscious before he hit the ice, and yes the helmet falling off was the reason he is so injured. it is also the reason that Ryan Hollweg missed an entire season due to a concussion. However, i have never seen anyone as hurt as Trevor on that ice. when someone's shoulder pads get cut off to get access to his heart, that's scary. when there is a pool of blood forming around his head, that's scary. I think it is horrible what happened to stone, but i don't think that you can say a member of the tiger's deserved to be injured because of a play by one player almost an entire year ago. As for Jeff's actions, i don't think he handled it appropriately. there was no reason for his actions. whether trevor has to sit out the rest of the year or not. jeff was looking out for his brother but the blocker never should have been used the way it was and i honestly do believe he should have recieved a suspension for it.

Willis on the Welfare
02-14-2005, 11:23 AM
I did not see the Murray on Trevor Glass hit. I admit error. I don't think it is right to debate which hit was worse or which was scarier. The only point I was trying to make was that the league didn't suspend Hollweg and did suspend Murray for basically the same thing. If Brent Seabrook, Dion Phaneuf, or Ryan Getzlaf did the same thing Murray did, would they have got five games?

AHTIGERS
02-15-2005, 01:53 AM
I totally agree that the league deals out lesser penalties and suspensions for the more well known players. and that is a huge reason Jeff Glass is not suspended. I never saw the Jeff Glass and David Murray blocker incident but from what i have heard, Jeff Glass should have been suspended. I honestly believe that if Murray would have been injured (and thankfully he's not), Glass might have recieved a suspension. That's just the way the league seems to work. I personally believe that any shot to the head (ex. blocker, jumping a player, elbowes up high and (even though it's not necessarily to the head) but a hit from behind) need to be looked at more closely in this league. There are 11 players injured in the WHL right now due to injuries to the head (8 are concussions alone). The league needs to come up with some kind of system for dealing with this stuff. Jeff Glass never should have gotten away with just a two minute roughing penalty.