PDA

View Full Version : have a question about the Ice

caps05
03-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I see where Edmonton has been granted an expansion WHL franchise for 2007-2008, and I had a question.

I noticed that the Ice used to be in Edmonton back in the mid-90s. Does anyone know the reason why they were moved to Kootenay?

Thanks.

Spungy
03-21-2006, 12:08 AM
From what i remember hearing around here, Edmonton just couldn't support the WHL team. but this time around the oilers are going to do something like what the flames have done with the hitmen and i guess it should be different

Rammer
03-21-2006, 12:15 PM
From what i remember hearing around here, Edmonton just couldn't support the WHL team. but this time around the oilers are going to do something like what the flames have done with the hitmen and i guess it should be different

WHL caught on just after the move alright, and Cranbrook was lucky to have that established franchise without the growing pains Vancouver had from the start, had they been sub 500 like the Giants for a couple of years, it may not of gained the support to build the Recplex and keep the franchise in town.

Edmonton will do well now that the WHL receives much more exposure, and the natural rivalry with the Hitmen, Rebels will help build as they get closer to competing with both franchises. Good luck Edmonton, but I hope the Ice don't give you any for a few seasons... ;)