PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Deck - 2nd team all star

witness
03-21-2006, 01:28 PM
http://www.whl.ca/news/?id=4017 For those who haven't seen the article.(edit by Fight Guy:))

Good for Kyle! He has had a good year.

It is interesting to note that Dustin Slade is a finalist for Goaltender of the year and a first team all star. Paul Albers is a finalist for d-man of the year and a first team all star. Makes you wonder what if ...

But, hindsight .... I am happy with the Robinson - Slade deal. Both teams got what they needed. The Albers deal. I can see why the Pats didn't need a smooth skating, great passing defence man (I am being sarcastic). The all time worst trade EVER. Albers for Schenn. Albers has what 70 plus points this year and Schenn played maybe 20 games for the Pats in a year and a half?

Pats11
03-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah really doesn't look like a great deal but at the time who knew how he'd progress. I remember standing beside Parker at the game against the giants and him and another guy were talking about Albers......Parker was saying how Albers didn't really show much of anything when he was in Regina. I guess seeing as he was already a 19yr old and hadn't exactly dominated up to that point along with the Pats needing a physical guy on D it was a good deal at the time. Besides with Deck putting up good numbers this year and Pyett, Schira and Ross chipping pretty well too they really didn't miss him that much.

Number_4
03-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Way to go Kyle! He has been one of the most consistant players on the ice all season, always giving it his all. Knowing how he played with his knee for msot of the season, he really deserved it.

As for the past deals, they are just that, the past. Albers, while he did shine in Vancouver, did nothing here, and didnt seem too motivated. A change in scenery really did him good. And in all honesty, the only good thing about Slade here was that he always entertained. He didnt always compete, but one never knew what he was going to do next.

witness
03-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Albers did show enough talent when he was here. He moved the puck well and had a very good first pass to clear the zone. We have to remember that last year, half the guys couldn't collect the puck, even when it was on their stick. The Pats were still playing the bang it up on the glass and hope that it clears the zone (the Bob Lowes way of hockey). The move really helped Albers because he moved to a more complete team. His role was small and he fulfilled it.
With Slade, he always competed. That was a lot of his problem was that he felt that not enough of his team mates were competing hard enough. And I can't say that I disagree with him. I think it was the right move for the Pats to deal him. It was a good deal for him and the Pats are very happy with Robinson.

patsfan33
03-21-2006, 10:50 PM
First off, congrats to Deck!

Secondly, I guess we're always going to wonder what would have happened if Slade and Albers weren't traded...

....I'll always remember Slades first game as a Pat, that kid played hard and definately deserved the standing O he got. He is a great goaltender, made our boys look good at times, and I don't blame him for getting frustrated when only a few (if any) of the players seem to have any heart in their game and Dustin getting consistently run over didn't help matters either. Yes, he took penalties that we're completely unnecessary, but I do commend the kid for standing up for himself when no one else would.

I was sad to see him go, but glad that another organization gave him a chance. A change of atmosphere is what he needed, guys that would play in front of him and in turn he did his part in toning down his fiesty attitude-- I commend that. Besides, look what we got in return :clap:

As for us, although I would have liked to have Slade back us up between the pipes this year, Reeks has definately improved as well...doesn't take the losses so hard anymore. He's got confidence and with that comes a little back talk, ha ha, go hard Reeks just as long as it doesn't get u into trouble. My only complaint with this kid is that he comes out to play the puck so much, which this season has lead to a few gift wrapped goals for the opposition. When Reeks has faltered Rowat has served as an excellent back up, and being 16 he can only get better. Tough break (literally) for Linden, wish him the best of luck in his recovery and can't wait to see what he can do for us next season.

Alright I'm done blabbing. All in all, despite who was traded and who was acquired we've got a team that beat the odds this season. Definately suprised the hell out of me on this last road trip. I have no doubt that we're gonna give the Blades a run for their money :thumb:

...and with guys like Nick Ross, Teubert, Schira, Festy, Bernhardt, Kalus, and McDonald..woo...u think we did well this year...u ain't seen NOTHING yet

GO PATS GO! :thumb:

Bran
03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
First of all, congrats to Kyle! He has a big heart, works hard and definately deserves it....there is nothing more that can really be said.

Albers did show enough talent when he was here. He moved the puck well and had a very good first pass to clear the zone. We have to remember that last year, half the guys couldn't collect the puck, even when it was on their stick. The Pats were still playing the bang it up on the glass and hope that it clears the zone (the Bob Lowes way of hockey). The move really helped Albers because he moved to a more complete team. His role was small and he fulfilled it.
With Slade, he always competed. That was a lot of his problem was that he felt that not enough of his team mates were competing hard enough. And I can't say that I disagree with him. I think it was the right move for the Pats to deal him. It was a good deal for him and the Pats are very happy with Robinson.

I agree 100%...

Paul wasn't himself for a little while last season, but for the most part, he worked hard and did a good job...When he was traded, he was playing his best hockey up to that point. Probably one of the hardest working guys in the league. Definately deserving.

Dustin...I won't get into this too much. Say what you want about the guy, but I don't see how anyone can say he didn't compete. The boy walks a fine line...if he's not careful his biggest asset quickly becomes his biggest downfall. It's nice to see that (for the most part) he's found that balance, he stumbles now and then but he's doing well. Good for him.