PDA

View Full Version : Whl 2005-06 Award Finalists

Tiger Trauma
03-21-2006, 01:35 PM
WHL ANNOUNCES 2005-06 AWARD FINALISTS AND CONFERENCE ALL-STAR TEAMS
Created: Mar 21, 2006
Calgary, AB - The Western Hockey League announced today the Eastern and Western Conference Finalists for the 2005-06 WHL Awards, and the 2005-06 Eastern and Western Conference First and Second All-Star Teams. The winners of these awards along with the WHL Player of the Year will be announced at the 2005-06 WHL Awards Luncheon in Calgary on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006.

The WHL Player of the Year and Humanitarian Player of the Year will be announced the first week of April.

The WHL announced the Finalists in the following categories.

Rookie of the Year, Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy
Eastern Conference – Brandon Sutter (Red Deer, AB), Red Deer Rebels
Western Conference – Peter Mueller (Bloomington, MN), Everett Silvertips

Goaltender of the Year, Del Wilson Trophy
Eastern Conference – Justin Pogge (Penticton, BC), Calgary Hitmen
Western Conference – Dustin Slade (Penticton, BC), Vancouver Giants

Defenceman of the Year, Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy
Eastern Conference – Kris Russell (Caroline, AB), Medicine Hat Tigers
Western Conference – Paul Albers (Melville, SK), Vancouver Giants

Scholastic Player of the Year, Daryl K. (Doc) Seaman Trophy
Eastern Conference – Brennen Wray (Moose Jaw, SK), Moose Jaw Warriors
Western Conference – Matt Kassian (Sherwood Park, AB) Kamloops Blazers

Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year, Brad Hornung Trophy
Western Conference – John Lammers (Langley, BC) Everett Silvertips

Coach of the Year, Dunc McCallum Memorial Trophy
Eastern Conference – Will Desjardins (Climax, SK) Medicine Hat Tigers
Western Conference – Don Hay (Kamloops, BC) Vancouver Giants

Executive of the Year, Lloyd Saunders Memorial Trophy
Eastern Conference – Chad Lang (Regina, SK) Moose Jaw Warriors
Western Conference – Scott Bonner (Edmonton, AB) Vancouver Giants

Regular Season Champions, Scotty Munro Memorial Trophy
Medicine Hat Tigers

Top Scorer – Bob Clarke Trophy
Troy Brouwer (Delta, BC), Moose Jaw Warriors

The Western Hockey League also announced the First and Second Conference All-Star Teams.

EASTERN CONFERENCE ALL-STAR TEAMS

FIRST ALL-STAR TEAM
Goaltender – Justin Pogge (Penticton, BC), Calgary Hitmen
Defenceman – Brett Carson (Whitewood, SK), Calgary Hitmen
Defenceman – Kris Russell (Caroline, AB), Medicine Hat Tigers
Forward – Dustin Boyd (Winnipeg, MB) Moose Jaw Warriors
Forward – Troy Brouwer (Delta, BC), Moose Jaw Warriors
Forward – Darren Helm (Winnipeg, MB), Medicine Hat Tigers

SECOND ALL-STAR TEAM
Goaltender – Matt Keetley (Medicine Hat, AB), Medicine Hat Tigers
Defenceman – Kyle Deck (Sedley, SK), Regina Pats
Defenceman – Jeff Schultz (Calgary, AB), Calgary Hitmen
Forward – Kyle Chipchura (Vimy, AB), Prince Albert Raiders
Forward – Blair Jones (Craik, SK), Moose Jaw Warriors
Forward – Devin Setoguchi (Taber, SK), Saskatoon Blades

WESTERN CONFERENCE ALL-STAR TEAMS

FIRST ALL-STAR TEAM
Goaltender – Dustin Slade (Penticton, BC), Vancouver Giants
Defenceman – Paul Albers (Melville, SK), Vancouver Giants
Defenceman – Shaun Heshka (Melville, SK), Everett Silvertips
Forward – Blake Comeau (Meadow Lake, SK), Kelowna Rockets
Forward – Justin Keller (Summerland, BC), Kelowna Rockets
Forward – Ian McDonald (Edmonton, AB), Tri-City Americans

SECOND ALL-STAR TEAM
Goaltender – Leland Irving (Swan Hills, AB), Everett Silvertips
Defenceman – Cody Franson (Sicamous, BC), Vancouver Giants
Defenceman – Logan Stephenson (Port McNeill, BC), Tri-City Americans
Forward – Gilbert Brule (North Vancouver, BC), Vancouver Giants
Forward – Adam Cracknell (Victoria, BC), Kootenay Ice
Forward – Brandon Dubinsky (Anchorage, AK), Portland Winter Hawks

nelson951
03-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Scott Jackson?

Will Mueller fold under pressure like in the WJHC?

SectionNDeserter
03-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Western Conference – Matt Kassian (Sherwood Park, AB) Kamloops BlazersWow! Talk about misconceptions you can gain by watching a player play for a few years. I always thought of him as being one of the first few generations of his family to walk upright! Way to smash that stereotype, grats Matt! :clap:

rinkrat
03-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Matt is a great kid,very well spoken.He wouldn't have lasted this long without possesing some character. ;)

ihlemic10
03-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Congrats to all the players. Nice to see Leland on the second team.

Redwic
03-22-2006, 11:25 AM
My choices:

MY CHOICE: Mueller, hands-down. His stats are better, and he is a more highly-touted player for the NHL Draft. Sutter is good, and he has a famous hockey name/family, but the only way that I see him winning this award is by there being a Canadian-leaning bias.
------------

Goaltender of the Year, Del Wilson Trophy
Eastern Conference – Justin Pogge (Penticton, BC), Calgary Hitmen
Western Conference – Dustin Slade (Penticton, BC), Vancouver Giants
MY CHOICE: Pogge, hands-down. Pogge had the most shutouts and the lowest GAA in the league. And let's face it, Slade just doesn't see as many shots as many goaltenders (that's a credit to his team's defense).
***One side-note: Did anyone else notice that both of these finalists come from Penticton? What's in the water up there? lol
------------

Defenceman of the Year, Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy
Western Conference – Paul Albers (Melville, SK), Vancouver Giants
MY CHOICE: Albers, hands-down. He has stellar numbers for a defenseman, and opposing players don't like going against him as a result. Russell is a good defenseman, and I'm glad to see him as a finalist, but Albers has the edge.
------------

Eastern Conference – Brennen Wray (Moose Jaw, SK), Moose Jaw Warriors
Western Conference – Matt Kassian (Sherwood Park, AB) Kamloops Blazers
MY CHOICE: The jury's out until I see their GPAs (grade point averages).
------------

Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year, Brad Hornung Trophy
Western Conference – John Lammers (Langley, BC) Everett Silvertips
MY CHOICE: This is a virtual tie, in my opinion. I will personally give the edge to Lammers, because I have seen him the most of these two players, & know how well he has represented himself & the team both on & off the ice, but I have heard A LOT of great things about Russell. Either player is deserving of this award.
------------

Coach of the Year, Dunc McCallum Memorial Trophy
Eastern Conference – Will Desjardins (Climax, SK) Medicine Hat Tigers
Western Conference – Don Hay (Kamloops, BC) Vancouver Giants
MY CHOICE: This is another virtual tie. Medicine Hat had the best record in the league, while Vancouver had the best record in the Western Conference AND won a banner for the first time in franchise history. Although I'm tired of hearing about Hay's past accomplishments (because, quite frankly, they are in the past with another team), you can't argue the fact that he has done a marvelous job with the Giants this season. They were among the top teams all season, most of which was without Brule in the lineup. But the one thing that bothers me about the Giants, though, is how they fared against the other division leaders: They were 0-1 (Shootout Loss) against Moose Jaw, 0-3 against Medicine Hat, 2-4 against Everett. Then include going 2-6 against Prince George, the fourth-place team in the B.C. Division (the team that Vancouver will face in the First Round). As great as the Giants have been this season, I think that Medicine Hat having the best record overall & winning the most games against the division leaders makes me lean towards Desjardins. Sorry, Hay.
------------

Executive of the Year, Lloyd Saunders Memorial Trophy
Eastern Conference – Chad Lang (Regina, SK) Moose Jaw Warriors
Western Conference – Scott Bonner (Edmonton, AB) Vancouver Giants
MY CHOICE: Another tough call, but I will have to say Lang. Again, Vancouver did great this season. But they were almost expected to do very well, with their coaching staff & players. Moose Jaw not only won their division, but they went from 14 wins last season to 44 wins this season: A 30-WIN turnaround! Wow! (Conversely, the Giants only went on a 13-win turnaround, from 34 wins last season to 47 wins this season.) Judging by this, much credit for Moose Jaw's turnaround this season must be given to Lang and their organization's front office.
------------

What are some other fans' predictions, for each of these awards?

WHL Rules
03-22-2006, 11:39 AM
My choices:

MY CHOICE: Mueller, hands-down. His stats are better, and he is a more highly-touted player for the NHL Draft. Sutter is good, and he has a famous hockey name/family, but the only way that I see him winning this award is by there being a Canadian-leaning bias.

Really?

McKeens 2006 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS

6. Peter Mueller

McKeens 2007 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS

5. Brandon Sutter

:p

I have no problem with Mueller winning this award I just think your logic is a little flawed. Don't forget that Mueller is also year older than Sutter.

Bran
03-22-2006, 12:09 PM
***One side-note: Did anyone else notice that both of these finalists come from Penticton? What's in the water up there? lol

Haha, I was wondering that too!

Beaner
03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
I agree with all your picks Redwic but I find your logic a little confusing especially when it come to Hay and Bonner.

The Giants were not expected to do much this year, and were in fact expected to be building for next years MC hosting. An average team at best, not even considered to finish #1 in the toughest division in the league. Making the playoffs was the concern to start this year, not winning the west.

The biggest concern for this year was goaltending and scoring for the Giants, both of which have been answered big time. 3rd overall in goals for, 2nd overall in goals against, and one of the top 4 goalies in the league. Bonner has looked like a genius this year, getting Slade for a 20yr. Robinson out of Regina, and trading Gordichuk and Gabriel for Mikkelson is a steal, even though Mikkelson was hurt most of the year.

That being said, I still Like Desjardins for Coach; the Tigers have been at the top of the league for years now, and look poised to go once again all the way, and the turnaround in MJ is amazing to say the least.

The Giants though were not supposed to be a top team this year at all, and both Don Hay and Scott Bonner have done an amazing job to get this team to where it is.

Redwic
03-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Keep in mind, you are just referencing one source in your statement. "Hockey's Future", on the other hand, has had Mueller listed as a Top 5 Prospect throughout the entire season. And I have also spoken with several scouts during the season, who have informed me that Mueller has looked like the front-runner nearly all season for "Rookie Of The Year", as well as possibly being as high as a 2nd or 3rd pick in the upcoming NHL Draft. Of course, that certainly depends upon which NHL team is picking & what their needs will be, so anything is possible.

I'm not disputing Sutter's talent. And I certainly understand that Mueller is a year older than him. But this is still Mueller's "rookie" season in the WHL, for which he had to totally adjust to a longer & more-grueling schedule than ever before, he had to adjust to the physicality and toughness of the WHL, and he had to hold his own within his team... just like Sutter.
------------

BY THE NUMBERS:

PETER MUELLER:
52 Games Played: 26 Goals & 32 Assists (58 Points Total), +4 Rating, 9 Power Play Goals, 2 Shorthanded Goals, 4 Game Winning Goals, 1.12 Points/Game Average

*Mueller was picked something like "Best Skater In A Shootout", in the recent 'CHL Prospects' magazine.
*Mueller had several multiple-goal games, including 3 Hat Tricks.
*Mueller plays for a division-winning team.

BRANDON SUTTER:
68 Games Played: 22 Goals & 24 Assists (46 Points Total), -7 Rating, 8 Power Play Goals, 3 Shorthanded Goals, 3 Game Winning Goals, 0.68 Points/Game Average

*Red Deer Rebels (Sutter's team) did not even make the playoffs.
*Led Red Deer Rebels for Goals scored, not Points.
*Sutter is a great player, and is invaluable to his team's future success.
------------

I think that both players certainly are deserving of the "Rookie Of The Year" award, but I strongly believe that Mueller will win it.
------------

I also want to add, since I forgot to in my last message, "congratulations" to all of the players that are award finalists, as well as to the players selected for the "All-Star" teams. Great job, everyone!

WHL Rules
03-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Keep in mind, you are just referencing one source in your statement. "Hockey's Future", on the other hand, has had Mueller listed as a Top 5 Prospect throughout the entire season. And I have also spoken with several scouts during the season, who have informed me that Mueller has looked like the front-runner nearly all season for "Rookie Of The Year", as well as possibly being as high as a 2nd or 3rd pick in the upcoming NHL Draft. Of course, that certainly depends upon which NHL team is picking & what their needs will be, so anything is possible.

I'm not disputing Sutter's talent. And I certainly understand that Mueller is a year older than him. But this is still Mueller's "rookie" season in the WHL, for which he had to totally adjust to a longer & more-grueling schedule than ever before, he had to adjust to the physicality and toughness of the WHL, and he had to hold his own within his team... just like Sutter.
------------

BY THE NUMBERS:

PETER MUELLER:
52 Games Played: 26 Goals & 32 Assists (58 Points Total), +4 Rating, 9 Power Play Goals, 2 Shorthanded Goals, 4 Game Winning Goals, 1.12 Points/Game Average

*Mueller was picked something like "Best Skater In A Shootout", in the recent 'CHL Prospects' magazine.
*Mueller had several multiple-goal games, including 3 Hat Tricks.
*Mueller plays for a division-winning team.

BRANDON SUTTER:
68 Games Played: 22 Goals & 24 Assists (46 Points Total), -7 Rating, 8 Power Play Goals, 3 Shorthanded Goals, 3 Game Winning Goals, 0.68 Points/Game Average

*Red Deer Rebels (Sutter's team) did not even make the playoffs.
*Led Red Deer Rebels for Goals scored, not Points.
*Sutter is a great player, and is invaluable to his team's future success.
------------

I think that both players certainly are deserving of the "Rookie Of The Year" award, but I strongly believe that Mueller will win it.
------------

I also want to add, since I forgot to in my last message, "congratulations" to all of the players that are award finalists, as well as to the players selected for the "All-Star" teams. Great job, everyone!

I also believe that Mueller will win it. But I really doubt that he will go as high in the NHL draft as you think (but a lot can happen on draft day). IMO at least Johnson, Kessel, Toews and probably Staal and Backstrφm will go higher than him (no scouting service has Mueller higher than fifth).

And I'm not sure why you think that the fact the Rebels didn't even make the play-offs will work against Sutter. Or do you believe that this will prevent Ovechkin or Crosby from winning the Calder trophy. ;)

Redwic
03-22-2006, 01:27 PM
... and please don't think that I was at all dissing Vancouver in those selections (keep in mind, I DID choose Albers as Top Defenseman).

I agree, Bonner & Hay have done great in Vancouver. Their trades & cohesiveness have done wonders for the franchise. And the Giants already look STRONG for next season's push for the MC.

Like I stated, the "Coach Of The Year" honor is a virtual tie. Both coaches are certainly deserving. I am just giving a slight edge to Desjardins for Medicine Hat having the best overall record (including going 3-0 against the Giants), as well as Vancouver's lack of dominance against each of the division leaders in the regular season. I take nothing away from Don Hay's coaching abilities.

As for "Executive Of The Year", I only gave Lang the edge because of Moose Jaw's tremendous 30-win turnaround between last season & this season. Like the Giants, not many people gave the Warriors much of a chance to win their division entering this season. Bonner certainly knows his hockey, as well.

Basically, I agree with each of the finalists for the awards. And, in my opinion, it should be no surprise that most of them are close-calls, as the people selected are the best-of-the-best for each of the categories, and any of them certainly are deserving of their particular honors.

Redwic
03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Anything is possible. :clap:

Beaner
03-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I didnt think you were dissing the Giants at all, just I disagreed with the statements that we were expected to do well this year.

As to the losses to the Division leaders, sure it's a good point, but as we all know we can pick and choose stats to make say what we want.

EG:
If we look at the Giants vs the 5 highest point getters in the league, the stats look a whole heck of a lot better.

MH 0-3
CGY 2-0
MJ 0-0-0-1
KEL 5-3-0-1
KTN 4-0

But it's all moot anyways, I go with your picks for Exec and Coach. :)

langdak
03-22-2006, 01:42 PM
... and please don't think that I was at all dissing Vancouver in those selections (keep in mind, I DID choose Albers as Top Defenseman).

I agree, Bonner & Hay have done great in Vancouver. Their trades & cohesiveness have done wonders for the franchise. And the Giants already look STRONG for next season's push for the MC.

Like I stated, the "Coach Of The Year" honor is a virtual tie. Both coaches are certainly deserving. I am just giving a slight edge to Desjardins for Medicine Hat having the best overall record (including going 3-0 against the Giants), as well as Vancouver's lack of dominance against each of the division leaders in the regular season. I take nothing away from Don Hay's coaching abilities.

As for "Executive Of The Year", I only gave Lang the edge because of Moose Jaw's tremendous 30-win turnaround between last season & this season. Like the Giants, not many people gave the Warriors much of a chance to win their division entering this season. Bonner certainly knows his hockey, as well.

Basically, I agree with each of the finalists for the awards. And, in my opinion, it should be no surprise that most of them are close-calls, as the people selected are the best-of-the-best for each of the categories, and any of them certainly are deserving of their particular honors.

Redwic, i am not disputing your choices at all, so dont take this the wrong way.

I noticed that your theory's on certain award winners are based on stats and purely stats. In most cases (coach of the year, executive of the year etc) those awards are given on more then just points accumulated throughout the year and so on and so forth.

I would imagine there is probably a whole checklist of things when it comes to giving out awards.

Also too, i saw you mention that Pogge had the most shutouts during the season......Slade had 11 shutouts as well, tied with Pogge :)

I as well totally agree with all of the finalists for the awards and i think either person in all categories would be more then deserving of the awards.....if they werent, they wouldnt even be nominated.

Also too in the case of Mueller/Sutter.....i agree with your choice, Mueller should get the award but its hard to compare the 2 of them head to head because they play on such different teams. If you were to swap the 2 of them around you would probably notice a difference in point accumulation and what not. Keep in mind that in most cases you can only be as good as the guys you are playing with. You can be a naturally gifted goal scorer, but if you have nobody to pass you the puck, you probably arent going to score a whole lot.

Redwic
03-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Look at Kevin Armstrong, the current goaltender for Spokane. When he was with Saskatoon, he looked great. But since his move to Spokane, he hasn't had quite the success (yet). He is a prime example of being as good as the people you are playing with.

This is DEFINITELY a team sport.
------------

By the way, I wish the Giants luck in the playoffs... :thumb:

langdak
03-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Look at Kevin Armstrong, the current goaltender for Spokane. When he was with Saskatoon, he looked great. But since his move to Spokane, he hasn't had quite the success (yet). He is a prime example of being as good as the people you are playing with.

This is DEFINITELY a team sport.
------------

By the way, I wish the Giants luck in the playoffs... :thumb:

Thanks Redwic, i wish the Tips good luck as well.

There is no "I" in team, but there is "me" in team....................sorry....i had to get that in there.....i will quit being a smartass now ;)

Jimmypop316
03-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Wow! Talk about misconceptions you can gain by watching a player play for a few years. I always thought of him as being one of the first few generations of his family to walk upright! Way to smash that stereotype, grats Matt! :clap:

You think thats wierd? Stoesz won Humanitarian of the Year down in Spokane. Its pretty strange seeing some of the leagues enforcers winning awards like scholasitc and humanitarian

Hatguy
03-22-2006, 03:25 PM
"He is a prime example of being as good as the people you are playing with."

I too belive Mueller will win the rookie award. But in the quote above that isn't always the case. Look at Josh Lepp in Kelowna, Seattle and Moose Jaw, he blew. Then he gets traded to Red Deer and he starts to play well. It was Lepp though.

Redwic
03-22-2006, 04:01 PM
You think thats wierd? Stoesz won Humanitarian of the Year down in Spokane. Its pretty strange seeing some of the leagues enforcers winning awards like scholasitc and humanitarian

***? :spineyes:

rezstyle
03-23-2006, 10:06 AM
***? :spineyes:

lol, that's what I said. The announcer said he does a lot in the community. I think it's awesome to have stereotype breakers like him & Kassian.

Goes to show when people say they are totally different off the ice than on, it's true.

jshmacky
03-26-2006, 11:41 AM
What about Bryan BRIDGES for goalie of the year??? HELLO....he broke the shutout record!! Shouldnt he get reconized for it???

SectionNDeserter
03-26-2006, 11:58 AM
What about Bryan BRIDGES for goalie of the year??? HELLO....he broke the shutout record!! Shouldnt he get reconized for it???I think the [category] of the year awards are based on this year only, not what the player did over the last 4 seasons.

nelson951
03-27-2006, 03:01 AM
Bridges had a better season one year ago. Jackson is the one who was shunned!

peatfan
03-27-2006, 03:02 AM
I personally pick Sutter as rookie of the year. Granted I did see him more than Muellar (7 games to 1) in person which probably influenced me. I think Sutter brings more than just points to the game. He was the most consistent hard worker on the Rebels whenever I saw them. If Sutter does win it it won't be an anti-Americnn/pro-Canadian vote, just that the voters thought the same way, the overall game. Muellar is a great player with fantastic potential & I'm not knocking him. I don't think he was impressive at the World Junior which might cost him a few votes.
As far as the rest I tend to agree with you. And I might add I was surprised at Kassian. Second time he has done this. I can't remember the details, maybe someone in Kamloops can help out, but it was in December/January and Kassian went out of his way to help someone. I remember many flattering posts about Kassian and how surprised everyone was. Definatly put Matt in a different light.Sorry I can't recall the details.