PDA

View Full Version : Islanders Sign Blake Comeau

Beaner
03-22-2006, 04:30 PM
from, http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pressbox/archive.asp?id=805

BLAKE COMEAU SIGNS 3-YEAR DEAL
Prospect wore an A for gold-winning Team Canada at the WJC

The Islanders have signed right wing Blake Comeau, the leading scorer and an alternate captain for the gold medal-winning Team Canada at this year's World Junior Championships, to a three-year contract. The 20-year old Comeau was the Islanders' second round selection (47th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

"We're very proud to have Blake as a big part of the future of our franchise," said Islanders general manager Mike Milbury. "As he demonstrated withTeam Canada and the Kelowna Rockets, Blake is a winner. He does everything well, works incredibly hard and is the ultimate team player."

The 6-1, 207-pound Comeau was the leading scorer on the Brent Sutter-coached Team Canada at the World Junior Championships. In six games, Comeau had three goals and four assists.

In 60 games this season with the Kelowna Rockets of the Western Hockey League, Comeau was 21-53-74 with 85 penalty minutes. His 53 assists tied him for second in the WHL. His offensive production increased in each of his four seasons of junior: 23, 33, 47 and 74 points. In 2003-04, Kelowna won the Memorial Cup as champion of the Canadian Hockey League.

"It's a great feeling knowing the Islanders have signed me to a contract and consider me an important part of their future," Comeau said this afternoon. "Last year's training camp with the Islanders was a good start for me. I learned what I needed to do to make it in the NHL. I took a lot of that with me when I returned to the Rockets and when I played for Team Canada."

This week Comeau, a native of Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, was named First Team all-star for the Western Conference of the WHL.

Congrats to Blake. Well earned. :thumb:

DoubleDee
03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Make Kelowna and Meadow Lake proud! :thumb: