PDA

View Full Version : Sutter on next years team

WHL Rules
03-23-2006, 12:30 AM
I suppose most of you read the article in the Advocate but I thought it had some interesting statements from Sutter.

On mistakes made...

“To be honest, it wears on you when you have to trade for players you are just trying to get by with to make up for mistakes that were probably made at the draft table. With today’s game you need speed, skill and intelligence, and that’s the way we’ve drafted the last two years.”
As the Rebels continue to restock their shelves, many of the goods with late expiration dates will be thrust into action next season. The club’s roster heading into the 2006-07 campaign could feature as many as 10 new players.

On the upcoming import draft...

Sutter wasn’t enamoured with the six-foot-eight Mihalik and may not bring the Slovak defenceman back for a second season, instead opting to take a rearguard with his second of two picks in the CHL import draft June 28.
“We have to work on our defence. That’s one area where we’re lacking in depth,” said Sutter.
The Rebels boss will attempt to snare a prize forward with his first selection — eighth overall — in the import draft.

On next years team...

When all is said and done, the 2006-07 version of the Rebels could be the youngest in recent memory.
“But we’ll have more speed, skill and grit in our lineup,” said Sutter. “We lacked speed up front this winter, and that hurt us. I think we’ll be a better team next season.”
Rebels put tough season behind (http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=107&cat=40&id=613581&more=)

Rebels30
03-23-2006, 06:15 PM
arrgg..i thought we were going to be getting older this year coming up...but aparently were going to be getting even younger :skeptical

SectionNDeserter
03-23-2006, 07:59 PM
arrgg..i thought we were going to be getting older this year coming up...but aparently were going to be getting even younger :skepticalOn paper we weren't even one of the younger teams this season, but the reality of it was that a lot of the 16 and 17 year olds were our key players a lot of nights, especially down the stretch (Sutter, Reimer, Berube, Poulter, LeBlanc). If those 16 and 17 year olds play more like Henry, Cunning, Lepp or Brett Sutter, and less like Chapman or Leslie next season, I don't have any real problem with the team getting younger on paper.

peatfan
03-24-2006, 03:14 AM
Wasn't impressed in the first game I saw him or towards the end. I watched him about 7 times and I was always glad when he was on the ice against the Hitmen. One less player to worry about. THe best players on your team all season were the younger players-Sutter, Sutter, Lamoureaux, Reimer, Cline and a few others. I thought Vandermeer would have been better. I know next year the Rebels will be back in the playoff hunt. Can't wait for the first exhibition game in Airdie and see what both teams got. See you then. :wave: