PDA

View Full Version : Chiliwick

rezstyle
03-23-2006, 02:29 PM
I know this will probably open up a huge discussion, but I want to know how they 'enter'. In another post, maybe on this site, maybe not, someone mentioned Tri Cities would have to give up 3 players to them next year.

What's the norm? And in our thread someone mentioned having to give up an import to them? How does all this tie together for some of you rule buffs out there? If nothing else, I guess I'm wondering what impact they will have on Spakane in particular.

SectionNDeserter
03-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I know this will probably open up a huge discussion, but I want to know how they 'enter'. In another post, maybe on this site, maybe not, someone mentioned Tri Cities would have to give up 3 players to them next year.

What's the norm? And in our thread someone mentioned having to give up an import to them? How does all this tie together for some of you rule buffs out there? If nothing else, I guess I'm wondering what impact they will have on Spakane in particular.I don't know what the exact numbers are, but each team is allowed to protect a certain number of players from each birth year, and the rest are left exposed in the expansion draft. Tri Cities doesn't HAVE to give up 3 players to them next year, but probably given a forecasted protected list, they probably have at least 3 very desireable players available in the expansion draft.

Beaner
03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
The Bruins can take up to 3 players from tri-cities -

Tri-Cities will only be allowed to protect 3 less players than everyone else.

from the Bruins website; www.chilliwackbruins.com

We will then take part in the Expansion Draft. The league will agree on a formula whereby each team protects a certain number of players. In previous Expansion Drafts the number has been 15 - 16 players on the PPL. 15 and 16-year-old players are exempt from this draft. We will select one player from each team with the exception of the Tri-City Americans from whom we will be able to select 3 players. Tri Cities will only have the right to protect 12 players from their protected player list. This is part of the expansion agreement. The Expansion Draft will give us 22 players and along with the Import draft and some listed players, will make up the first Chilliwack Bruins Hockey Team.

The norm is one player from each team, but this "3 players" thing was part of the deal that the old owners of the Americans made to sell the team instead of moving it, as they wanted to do.

Vancouver and Portland have avoided this draft by making trades earlier this year.

N.W. Bruin
04-01-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't know what the exact numbers are, but each team is allowed to protect a certain number of players from each birth year, and the rest are left exposed in the expansion draft. Tri Cities doesn't HAVE to give up 3 players to them next year, but probably given a forecasted protected list, they probably have at least 3 very desireable players available in the expansion draft.

Each WHL team will be able to protect 15 or 16 players (depending on which way the club goes on their overagers). There is no protection number from each birth year but the guys to be put on the protected lists are from 1986 to 1989 birth years. The 1990s and 1991s are exempt from the draft (though they could be dealt to Chilliwack as the deal to avoid having someone choosen from the list). Tri-City can only protect 12 players so it is likely Chilliwack will pick three players from them as those would be # 13 - 15 from their list.

Redwic
04-01-2006, 09:56 AM
When the Chilliwack Bruins start playing, are you going to root for them or the Giants?

I figured with a moniker of "N.W. Bruin", that you might be torn between the two teams. Just wondering what you thought.

dondo
04-01-2006, 02:28 PM
I also heard recently that the expansion teams will be allowed five over-age players on their roster to even out the competitiveness for first year teams, next year for Chilliwack, and the following year for Edmonton - this was druing an interview with one of the WHL bosses.

Also some re-alignment will occur as I think Kootenay will be moving to the Central Division - need some confirmation on that one as I haven't read anything concrete on the re-alignment.

N.W. Bruin
04-01-2006, 02:33 PM
When the Chilliwack Bruins start playing, are you going to root for them or the Giants?

I figured with a moniker of "N.W. Bruin", that you might be torn between the two teams. Just wondering what you thought.

But will also stick with the Giants. I think it will amount to some fifty plus games that I can attend between the two teams. I think Chilliwack will be a heavy Saturday home schedule and the Giants are Friday game heavy so there shouldn't be too much double up of games.

Giants will drop down to my number four team overall during the years of me having season tickets to the league with the original New Westminster Bruins being number one and the second team being number two. Next season will be my 21st season with season tickets (plus I also saw a game in Victoria in another season when Tri-City (2nd Bruin team) visited the Cougars). Far cry from some of the other teams' fans.

N.W. Bruin
04-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I also heard recently that the expansion teams will be allowed five over-age players on their roster to even out the competitiveness for first year teams, next year for Chilliwack, and the following year for Edmonton - this was druing an interview with one of the WHL bosses.

Also some re-alignment will occur as I think Kootenay will be moving to the Central Division - need some confirmation on that one as I haven't read anything concrete on the re-alignment.

There will be realignment as it was on the WHL.ca site same time Edmonton got awarded the team plus also in the papers. Next season Kootenay moves to the Central division and Swift Current moves to the East division. Will amount to six teams in both Eastern conference divisions once Edmonton comes on board the season after. Chilliwack replaces Kootenay in the B.C. division keeping both divisions out here as five team divisions.

dondo
04-01-2006, 02:56 PM
hey thanks NWB... I have tough time finding anything on that website... but w/e appreciate the info

rezstyle
04-03-2006, 10:30 AM
It will be interesting who they choose from Tri Cities. I believe they have something like 6 or 7 twenty year olds. They could become a physical force right away with names like Emmerson & Boogard who may or may not be kept as 20 y/o.

Stay-Puft
04-03-2006, 05:16 PM
The most they can keep is 5 - 20's.

hockeyfan0909
04-04-2006, 12:07 AM
one of the 20 year olds will be emmerson. he played in chilliwack he is a hometown guy he was a fan favorite there.

Carebear
04-05-2006, 01:16 AM
I'm torn.
With Chilliwack starting I'm not sure who I'm gonna cheer for. Chilliwack or Vancouver.

I'm located exactly halfway between the 2!!!!

Though I have been a fairly avid Giants game patron this year... *SIGH*