PDA

View Full Version : Mueller Seattle Times Story

nelson951
03-23-2006, 06:51 PM
NHL can wait: Tips star keeps focus on playoffs
By Jim Riley

Special to The Seattle Times

EVERETT — It was a triumphant return for Peter Mueller.

The 17-year-old rookie flew into Everett after playing for Team USA in the World Junior Championships and had just scored a natural hat trick for the Everett Silvertips.

The historic third goal, the first time any player had scored three consecutive goals in franchise history, came on a penalty shot to give the Silvertips a 3-0 lead over the Portland Winter Hawks. The crowd of 6,801 at the Everett Events Center was still buzzing.

As the second period ended and the cheers cascaded down, the rookie centerman did something unusual.

He didn't bask in the adulation. He didn't raise his stick in celebration. Instead, Mueller quietly skated over to Leland Irving and high-fived the Everett goaltender to congratulate him for making some tough saves.

Selfless acts are uncommon for a player with extraordinary talent but completely in character for Mueller.

Friday

Tri-City @ Everett, 7:05 p.m.
Though he is a sure top-10 draft pick when the NHL holds its entry draft in Vancouver, B.C., June 23-24, Mueller is still surprised by all the attention he gets.

"They definitely treat us like rock stars here," Mueller said of playing in Everett. "It's a little overwhelming. Sometimes I want to ask these people why they want my autograph. Sometimes I have to take a step back and make sure my feet are on the ground."

Zach Sim, who is Mueller's roommate and rides with him to Everett High School, says the two rarely talk about how close Mueller is to fulfilling his NHL dream.

"Mulesy is just one of the boys," Sim said. "He doesn't expect to be looked at like he's better than anyone else and no one here treats him that way. He's a very modest guy. Even with all the attention he gets from the media and the fans, it never gets to his head."

Mueller, the top-ranked WHL player eligible for the NHL draft, scored three hat tricks and finished the regular season with 26 goals and 58 points in 52 games. He also added six shootout goals to help Everett compile the best record in the tiebreaker at 7-3 and win the U.S. Division title.

Mueller will make his postseason debut when Everett opens the playoffs against the Tri-City Americans with home games on Friday and Saturday.

Barry Trapp, the director of amateur scouting for the Toronto Maple Leafs, loves Mueller's size (6 feet 2, 205 pounds), strength and skills but says these games are important for him.

"Where he ends up in the draft depends on how he does in the playoffs," Trapp said. "He has stepped into the WHL and had a very good year and shown he is capable of scoring big goals."

Everett coach Kevin Constantine hears from scouts all the time.

"The talk on the street is that he's one of the best five draftable players in the world, certainly among the top 10," Constantine said. "His vision, hockey sense and playmaking skills are flawless. He's clearly a guy who makes everyone around him better."

Mueller said he doesn't think much about the draft or the money and status it will bring. He knows he could end up playing in the NHL as early as next season or back in Everett.

"All I can say is it depends — it depends on who drafts me and what they want," Mueller said. "Hockey is never about one individual. It's a team game, and that's what I love about it the most. I'll do anything for the guys on this team. I love playing in Everett."

Mueller grew up in the Twin-Cities suburb of Bloomington, Minn., and started playing hockey at age 4, following the skate tracks of older brother Alan, now a defensive lineman at Augsburg College in Minneapolis.

"I started young, but I didn't have a lot of hockey sense at first, wasn't even close to being the best guy on the ice," Mueller said. "I just played all the time, from sunup to sundown."

Those hours paid off, and Mueller scored nine goals in a game on his ninth birthday.

"I just kept working on things," Mueller said. "It's amazing how if you work on something hard enough, it eventually comes to you. I used to watch moves by players like Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux and try to emulate their moves."

It's a work ethic and dedication that Mueller still brings to his game.

Mueller follows a workout program designed by Minnesota Wild strength and conditioning coach Kirk Olson, and it's paying dividends. Chris Durand, who plays for the Seattle Thunderbirds and is one of the top defensive forwards in the WHL, said Mueller presents some unique challenges because of his strength.

"He has a big shot and a big body that can power right through you, so you really have to try to limit his space," Durand said. "And you can't let him get a step on you or he's gone."

How soon Mueller leaves Everett for the NHL isn't something he can control.

"I'll worry about the draft the night before," Mueller said. "This is my team now, and this is where I want to be