PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Playoff Articles

Tipped Off
03-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Hawks web-site

"After The Whistle" - All-Kemper Team
March 23, 2006 – Andy Kemper

One of the biggest things nowadays in all of sports is the Fantasy Leagues that have popped up on websites, publications and even one sponsored by the Western Hockey League. These leagues allows the casual fan to put on the GM cap and draft the team that they think will have the best success using real-time scoring information from actual games.

I take part in a few of these fantasy leagues. I usually only participate in the free ones as I don’t have enough time to dedicate to ones that require payment and I don’t feel comfortable throwing money away on a fantasy team that I didn’t manage on a daily basis.

Also, one of the things that broadcasters like John Madden like to do at the end of the year is to pick their personal all-star teams. Well, I’m going to combine the two into one and pick my First Annual All-Kemper Team.

I will use the same rules as the current WHL uses – only three overagers and two Euro’s and a roster of 20 consisting of 2 goaltenders, 6 d-men and 12 forwards.

The only teams that I will choose from are the U.S. Division teams. These are the teams that I see enough times to feel comfortable making choices on and will pick players that fit specific needs at all age levels.

The roster listed below consists of three 20 year olds, six 19 year olds, four 18 year olds, four 17 year olds and three 16 year olds.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen – without further delay, here is my 2005-06 U.S. Division All-Kemper Team:

Goaltenders:

Bryan Bridges, Seattle – Age 20 – Record 24-12-1-3, 2.59 GAA, .916 Save %, 3 Shutouts

Leland Irving, Everett – Age 17 – Record 37-22-1-3, 1.91 GAA, .925 Save %, 4 Shutouts

Defensemen:

Shaun Heshka, Everett – Age 20 – 66 Games, 10-49-59

Logan Stephenson, Tri City – Age 19 – 71 Games, 10-43-53

Michael Funk, Portland – Age 19 – 70 Games, 11-36-47

Michael Sauer, Portland – Age 18 – 59 Games, 8-23-31

Scott Jackson, Seattle – Age 18 – 57 Games, 3-23-26

Thomas Hickey, Seattle – Age 16 – 69 Games, 1-27-28

Forwards:

Ian McDonald, Tri City – Age 20 – 71 Games, 37-55-92

John Lammers, Everett – Age 19 – 70 Games, 38-37-75

Brandon Dubinsky, Portland – Age 19 – 51 Games, 21-46-67

Jannik Hansen, Portland – Age 19 – 64 Games, 24-40-64

Kyle Bailey, Portland – Age 19 – 66 Games, 18-35-53

Michael Grabner, Spokane – Age 18 – 67 Games, 36-14-50

Adam Hobson, Spokane – Age 18 – 72 Games, 23-27-50

Zach Hamill, Everett – Age 17 – 53 Games, 21-38-59

Peter Mueller, Everett – Age 17 – 52 Games, 26-32-58

Bud Holloway, Seattle – Age 17 – 72 Games, 21-13-34

Drayson Bowman, Spokane – Age 16 – 72 Games, 17-17-34

Colton Sceviour, Portland – Age 16 – 58 Games, 3-6-9

And, there you have it. I would go up against any team in the CHL with that roster. It gives incredible goaltending with a strong mix of both offensive and defensive minded d-men as well as tremendous scoring talent with some grit on the forward side.

I would love to get any feedback from you out there on where you think I may have missed someone who you think deserved a spot on the team. Send all comments to hawksblog@comcast.net.

Only a little more than 24 hours now until the puck drops on the 2006 playoffs. Go Hawks!

Tipped Off
03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Love 'Em or Leave 'Em
The annual grousing about the mediocre state of the Hawks has been a little louder this year. Several longtime season ticket holders have elected to forgo playoff packages to signal their displeasure with management and the coaching. Fine, I guess.

There came a similar moment with the local basketball team five or six years ago, when the organization brought in several bad apples and malcontents. Despite howls of protest from many in their devoted fan base, management continued down their path. In effect they told us to love 'em or leave 'em. As much as I loved the Blazers and as much joy as they brought me, I left. It's not like I owned season tickets or anything like that, I attended maybe ten games a year, but the organization signaled they weren't going to change so I left. I've attended exactly three games since 2000 and haven't paid one dime for any of those tickets.

The Hawks organization gave a similar signal in the Portland Tribune this morning. You may have read the article. The money quote for to me was:
Hodge calls coach Mike Williamson the best of any of the four Winter Hawk coaches since 1976 — including himself and Brent Peterson — so you know what decision he will make on Willy.
So there you have it gang! They just told you exactly where they're headed on the ice. Ken and Willy are staying. Don't like that direction? Do you feel like they need to dump the coach? Or the GM? Fine. Then be done with them and go find something else to do with your time and energy. I left the Blazers and found the Hawks.

It's an exciting time to be a Hawks fan right now. New ownership means new blood. There are some big time changes coming to the Coliseum and the marketing side is going to start ramping up. 2006-07 is going to be a huge year for the team in this town. It's going to be cool to visit Winter Hawk games next year. You watch.

Between now and then, there's a playoff series with the team's biggest rival. This isn't the time to be jumping ship. It's time to get behind them. It's time to get your friends and co-workers excited. It's still the best team and the best organization in town and they should be supported.