PDA

View Full Version : Ams knot it up!!!

HAF
03-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Great effort by the boys tonight to show them Tips we're not gonna lay down for them. Beeman puts his money where his mouth is and gets the first Am's tally at 7:59 of the second with assists to Boogaard and Jones. Keith Voytechek gets the game winner at 13:34 of the second with an assist to Igor Bacek.
A split in that barn is huge for the Ams right now playing the next two at home!
Sorry Tips fans!!! I hope you kept the reciept on all those brooms you bought!!!!

Swando
03-26-2006, 01:25 AM
It was great to hear that you guys tied up the series. Play- offs are a new world. I hope you guys pack out your barn for game 3 & 4. We found that play-off hockey reverted to the "anything goes' era. In fact PG Cougars came out with toboggans in the 3rd period becasue they knew they could hook onto a Giant and get carried around until the Giant got tired.LOL Maybe a bit of sour grapes on the Giant's fans part but, McClain let everything of the clutch and grab go whereas the previous ref Kirk called everything.
Gotta love play-off hockey. Good luck Ams. Notice who scored the winning goal? Ex Giant!!!

kaniksu
03-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Can't wait for this to come back to TC. :) Great way to get it started tied up at 1 on the road.

HAF
03-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Ams steal one in Everett
This story was published Sunday, March 26th, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

EVERETT -- A couple of greasy goals and a stellar performance by Carey Price were all the Tri-City Americans needed to get back on track.

Jason Beeman and Keith Voytechek scored second-period goals and Price finished with 30 saves to lead the Americans to a 2-1 victory over the Everett Silvertips on Saturday at the Everett Events Center and tie their first-round Western Hockey League series at a game apiece.

"This is huge. We came here wanting a split and now we have to work our butts off when we get back to Tri," Beeman said. "I can't wait to hear the home crowd. We feed off that energy."

The best-of-7 series moves to Toyota Center for games Tuesday and Wednesday.

"Your objective on the road is to get home-ice advantage," said Americans coach Don Nachbaur. "Both teams have played well. I don't expect them to fold their tents with one loss.

Going home with an 0-2 deficit was something Price did not want to face.

"We knew if we were down 0-2, they are too talented for us to come back," Price said. "They are star-studded. That would have been the end of us."

Price, who had 22 saves in Friday's 4-0 loss, praised his defense for keeping the Silvertips from setting up their offense.

"The guys really battled hard tonight to keep the puck out of the net," Price said. "I haven't seen them play that hard in a long time. It was nice to play behind them."

Trailing 1-0 to start the second, the Americans toiled through two 5-on-3 penalty kills before taking control of the period with just five shots on goal.

Beeman tied the game at 7:59, following up an Aaron Boogaard shot from the left point. Beeman got his stick on the puck and poked it in past Tips goalie Leland Irving.

"I was going to the net and it came off (Irving's) pad," Beeman said. "I just carried it into the net. I wanted to make sure it got there. It wasn't pretty, but it worked."

The Americans drew energy off their first goal of the series and parlayed it into another goal five minutes later.

Tri-Cities took a 2-1 lead at 13:34 as Voytechek and Igor Bacek batted the puck around behind the net before Voytechek swept the puck around the left post, rolled it up Irving's left pad and into the net.

"Crashing the net is how you get goals in the playoffs," said Everett's John Lammers.

The Silvertips had 11 shots in the period, but couldn't connect. Torrie Wheat had three opportunities at the right post during Everett's first 5-on-3 power play, but Price turned him away with his skate and then the handle of his stick. The third time, Wheat misfired.

"We weathered the storm and killed some big penalties," Nachbaur said. "Killing off the two 5-on-3s made a big difference."

With 2:10 left in the second, Wheat found himself all along on a breakaway, but Price denied him once again.

"We ran into a hot goaltender," Lammers said. "He's an unbelievable goalie. He made big plays at the right time. He stole one tonight."

The Silvertips had their power play clicking early in the first period as Peter Mueller caught Price by surprise, taking a pass from Lammers and putting it into the empty left corner of the net at 7:16.

The Americans' penalty kill unit had two opportunities to tie the game midway through the first as Ian McDonald and Alex Aldred had a 2-on-1, but Aldred's shot was off the mark. Twenty seconds later, McDonald had a breakaway, but shot the puck over the net.

Everett outshot Tri-Cities 15-10 in the first, and Mark Kress looked to give the Silvertips a 2-0 lead with 4:30 left in the period as he broke loose from the Americans' defense, but was denied by Price.

Notes: Everett D Shaun Heshka, who has the flu, did not play. ... Spokane will have the first pick in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft as the Chiefs' ball was the first drawn. The second selection will be by the Red Deer Rebels, the third selection will be by the expansion Chilliwack Bruins. The Americans will pick eighth in the draft, to be held May 4 in Calgary, Alberta. In the second and all subsequent rounds, the Bruins will select first.

Redwic
03-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Heshka did not play because of the flu, but in reality quite a few of the Everett players are currently sick. I heard that Heshka had to go to the emergency room yesterday because the flu hit him so bad.

The Silvertips have gone through many injuries all season, and right when it appears that most-everyone is back healthy, then the flu go throughs the team.

Tri-City stole Game #2, with Beeman's goal being extremely questionable by him charging the net like he did. But much of the blame can be placed on the Silvertips, themselves. They squandered three consecutive power plays, which includes two 5-on-3 opportunities. Everett had three or four great breakaways, then totally missed where the goal was. I mean, geez, those guys did not look sharp at all.

I hope that the Silvertips get healthy enough to perform on Tuesday & Wednesday, because the physicality of the Americans will make sick bodies feel even more weakened.

HAF
03-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Yep poor Everett, They're the only ones in the league to ever get sick or injured... :spineyes: :spineyes: :spineyes:

Stay-Puft
03-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Yep poor Everett, They're the only ones in the league to ever get sick or injured... :spineyes: :spineyes: :spineyes:
Or suspended, while Superman stands on his wall. :D

Brad
03-28-2006, 02:43 PM
I think saying TC stole the game is a bit much. They had a couple of ugly goals, but that's what playoff hockey is all about. They also had chances for some very pretty goals, but Irving made some tremendous saves. Shots in the game were 31-25 despite the Tips having four more powerplays, including a pair of 5 on 3's. Tri didn't get a power play from Herman after midway through the first period. Everett had every opportunity to tie the game and couldn't get it done. Very similar to Tri-City in game one. Tri had a big territorial advantage through the first 30 minutes in game one, but couldn't put the puck in the net.

From the way those two games were played by both teams, a split of the games is very just.