PDA

View Full Version : W'Kings enjoy MTS Centre

Triton
03-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Winnipeg, Manitoba -- The Brandon Wheat Kings will be hoping to grab a commanding lead in their best of seven Western Hockey League Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series when they host the Moose Jaw Warriors Thursday night in Winnipeg.

The Wheat Kings, the WHL's version of the "Road Warriors" will be playing their fourth straight playoff game away from the friendly confines of Brandon's Keystone Centre.

Due to the 99th Annual Royal Manitoba Winter Fair, the Wheat Kings have been forced to play games three and four of this best of seven series in Winnipeg's MTS Centre - a building that has proven to be an ideal "second home" for the defending Eastern Conference Champions.

Since opening the new facility in November 2004, the Wheat Kings have played eight regular season and two playoff games there, winning nine of them including Monday's dramatic 3-2 victory over the Warriors to take a 2-1 lead in the series.

"I think we've made Winnipeg a real good second home," Wheat Kings' general manager and head coach Kelly McCrimmon recently told James Shewaga of the Brandon Sun. "We've played some tremendously important games there over the years due to the fact that most of the games have been playoff games. And I think any of our players, past or present, and our fans have witnessed some real crucial playoff games in that city."

Since beginning the annual playoff pilgrimage to the provincial capital in the mid nineties, the Wheat Kings have compiled an impressive 21-6-0 record including a perfect 7-0 mark against the Warriors.

Among the players that looks forward to playing in Winnipeg is 18-year old center Codey Burki, one of three Winnipeggers and one of 14 Manitobans on this year's edition.

"When I go to Winnipeg I have family and friends watching, and it's just really exciting for me," Brandon's former first round bantam draft choice recently told reporter Sara Cumming.

Eligible for this summer's National Hockey League Entry Draft, Burki is coming off a season that saw him lead the Wheat Kings in scoring with 27 goals and 61 points. In three playoff games, he has set up three goals including Monday night's powerplay game winner by Mark Derlago.

Tickets to game four Thursday night in Winnipeg are on sale now at the MTS Centre box office, by calling 780-3333, online at ticketmaster.ca or (in person) at the Keystone Centre box office. Monday's crowd of 3,100 was the largest audience to see a Wheat Kings' game in Winnipeg this season.

In off-ice news, the status of Wheat Kings' defenceman Theran Yeo is still up in the air. The Prince Albert native has been suspended indefinitely by the WHL for his part in a post-game altercation Saturday night in Moose Jaw. The league was expected to announce a decision on the length of the suspension on Tuesday but no word came down.