PDA

View Full Version : Ams 1 Bounce Away

Stay-Puft
03-29-2006, 10:07 AM
This series is not over.

The Tri-City Americans may have lost 2-1 in overtime Tuesday night at Toyota Center, giving the Everett Silvertips a 2-1 lead in the best-of-7 playoff series.

But given a different bounce here or there, the Americans could be the ones up 2-1.

Tri-Cities outshot Everett 24-19, but the Ams did squander some golden opportunities to score on the Silvertips.

"We had some point-blank chances," said Tri-City coach Don Nachbaur. And if you don't take advantage of those chances, you'll pay for it.

"They're a good hockey team," said Nachbaur. "That's why they won the U.S. Division."

The Silvertips found a way to win when captain Torrie Wheat redirected a shot on goal past Americans goalie Carey Price 3:15 into overtime. It was anybody's game up to that point.

"I think it was a pretty evenly played game," said Everett coach Kevin Constantine. "The last two games (Price) has played pretty well. We were lucky tonight to get a couple of goals. And the last two games the Tri-City penalty kill has been better than our power play."

Of the three potential first-round matchups for the Americans, this was not their favorite.

Tri-Cities against either Seattle or Portland looked better on paper for the Ams. Against Everett, however, the Ams were 3-6-1 during the regular season.

Still, playoff games are not played on paper.

The Amercians were very physical Tuesday against the smaller, cat-quick Silvertips. Guys like Aaron Boogaard, Matt Swaby and Alex Aldred delivered devastating hits all night, sending Everett players sprawling. It helped negate the speedy Silvertips' attack much of the night.

"That," said Nachbauer, "is not gonna stop. That's part of the way we play. If we get into a skating game with them, is that what we want? Part of our assets is our size. It's a strength and we have to use it."

Plus, it's always a part of playoff hockey -- 2-1 games are more the norm than 7-3 at this time of year.

Constantine knows what's coming.

"Tri-Cities, as all playoff teams, would be and should be physical," said Constantine. "We expect that in playoff hockey. Teams increase their physical play, and scoring becomes challenging."

Which is why the Ams feel confident about coming back.

"Obviously we're disappointed about the way we lost," Nachbauer said. "We still feel good. They're being taught something in that locker room. This is playoff hockey. And it's all about regaining our focus and coming back tomorrow."

How quickly the Ams can forget about this one, how they must remain the aggressors with hard hits, how Price must maintain his strong play in the net, and how they still need to attack Everett goalie Leland Irving on the offensive end -- these will all be keys for

Game 4 tonight.

It all happens at 7:05 p.m. at Toyota Center.

Redwic
03-29-2006, 11:21 AM
... in the latter half of the Third Period, I thought that the ref was going to certainly call a penalty, if not a penalty shot. Either was deserved.

Both goaltenders did superb. It just came down to a bad bounce, and some questionable calls/non-calls by the referee & linesmen.

With Everett's offense lagging due to sicknesses & injuries, as well as Price's great performance, the Silvertips really squeaked by (some may say stole) this game. This should be an exciting Game #4 tonight!

Stay-Puft
03-29-2006, 03:32 PM
It was at the other end from where I was at, but it looked to me like McDonald was mugged and a penalty shot called, especially since a penalty shot was called earlier when an Everett player's feet were taken out. However, I liked the fact that he let the teams decide the outcome.

I thought it was a pretty poor turn-out after the crowd sizes that were there at the end of the regular season. Hopefully more will be there tonight.

Brad
03-29-2006, 04:44 PM
I was at the end where both the McDonald and Ellington play happened. In my opinion, neither should have been a penalty shot. Neither player had a clean breakaway. Matt Kirk is a bafoon, but at least he was equally brutal for both teams...that's the best fans can hope for with the crop of WHL refs. He let the players decide it and Everett tied the game on a greasy goal, just as Tri-City used to win game 2. That's playoff hockey.

Stay-Puft
03-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Story from TC Herald

Saturday night, Torrie Wheat had four excellent chances against Tri-City Americans goaltender Carey Price, but the Everett right wing couldn't put the puck in the net.

Wheat finally solved Price on Tuesday, tipping in a shot by Shaun Heshka at 3:15 of overtime to give the Silvertips a 2-1 victory over the Americans in Game 3 of their Western Hockey League playoff series at Toyota Center.

"I was pretty upset after Game 2," Wheat said of Saturday's 2-1 win by Tri-Cities. "Price is an outstanding goalie. We didn't get a lot of shots on him tonight, but they were quality shots. He was unbelievable.

"It's a confidence booster to win Game 3, but it's the first one to four and we have a ways to go."

The Silvertips lead the best-of-7 first-round series 2-1. Game 4 is at 7:05 p.m. today at Toyota Center. Game 5 will be Friday in Everett.

"Both teams are competing hard. You have to make your own breaks," said Americans coach Don Nachbaur. "Obviously, we are disappointed we lost. We lost one face-off that ended up in our net. Those are the breaks and we didn't get them."

In the first period, one big hit made all the difference for the Americans.

Tri-City right wing Aaron Boogaard put a big hit on Everett's Jesse Smyke, knocking the puck loose. Jason Beeman corralled the puck and flung it toward the net from the blue line.

Silvertips goalie Leland Irving stopped Beeman's shot, but Ian McDonald was there to pick up the rebound and swept the puck into the left corner of the net at 8:03 to give the Americans an early 1-0 lead.

"I was on the back check and he had his head down. I don't think he saw me coming," Boogaard said. "I took advantage of that. That was the plan, to be physical, but they are a good team and they bounce right back."

The physical play of the Americans didn't go unnoticed.

"The series is following the pattern of the two teams and I think both are holding to their strengths," said Everett coach Kevin Constantine. "Tri-Cities is a big physical team that comes at you. That is their strength."

Price, who finished with 17 saves, made two huge stops in the second period, and the Americans killed off two Silvertips' power plays.

At 17:21, Everett's Taylor Ellington was awarded a penalty shot after being hauled down by Jarrett Toll on a breakaway. Ellington went stick side, but Price denied him with his right pad.

Twenty seconds later, John Lammers and Zach Hamill were streaming down the ice 2-on-1 against Americans defenseman Landon Jones, but once again, Price kept the puck out of the net.

The Americans, who outshot the Silvertips 7-6 in the period, had a good scoring opportunity with three minutes remaining as Toll took a feed from McDonald, but Irving was there for the save.

Irving finished with 23 saves.

The Silvertips tied the game at 2:19 of the third as Shaun Heshka's shot from the top of the slot glanced off Price's glove and into the net.

"That tying goal gave them new life," Nachbaur said. "We are going to have to regroup and get a win under our belts (today)."

The Americans should have had an opportunity for a penalty shot with five minutes left in regulation when McDonald was taken down from behind on a play identical to what referee Matt Kirk awarded Ellington a penalty shot.

But there was no penalty shot, or a penalty of any kind.

"I'm not going to whine about it, but it looked like the same play to me," Nachbaur said.

The Americans outshot the Silvertips 24-19, but had a hard time finding the net, just as they had in the first two games.

"We have three goals in three games. Getting the rubber past their goalie is something we haven't solved," Nachbaur said. "It's something we have to find within ourselves."

Notes: Everett RW Brady Calla and LW Ondrej Fiala have the flu and did not dress for the Silvertips. ... The WHL fined the Moose Jaw Warriors $2,500 for lack of security following an incident in Game 2 of their best-of-7 Eastern Conference playoff series against Brandon. As the Wheat Kings were leaving the ice, some fans threw soft drinks, beer and water bottles handed out by the Warriors as a promotion. Some of the Brandon players got involved with the fans, security moved in and punches were thrown. Brandon D Theran Yeo was suspended indefinitely for his actions.

Redwic
03-30-2006, 10:40 AM
I thought it was a pretty poor turn-out after the crowd sizes that were there at the end of the regular season. Hopefully more will be there tonight.

Surprisingly, there were actually fewer people last night (Wednesday, 2584) than the night before (Tuesday, 2630). However, on the radio, I thought that it sounded louder last night.

It seems like most of the WHL teams are having dwindling attendances in the playoffs. Strange... Everett even lowered it's "Group Rate" from 20 people to 10 people, for the playoffs, in an attempt to raise attendances. Kelowna, conversely, has been turning fans away due to such a large number of people trying to attend their (sold-out) playoff games.

ihlemic10
03-30-2006, 01:57 PM
I know a the people I have come to games with me think the season is over. When I try to explain there is playoffs, they shun it because of the "Price Jump". Its $1...really makes a difference to some. I know I didn't get my playoff package but got nicer seats from my friend than my Season tix, so I think that worked out well.

Stay-Puft
03-30-2006, 03:09 PM
The past week or so have had a lot of spring sports starting, so I think that families are turning their attention to that, as well as the start of the NIFL season. It was also a Tuesday and Wednesday night games, hardly large draw nights anyway.