View Full Version : Dubnyk

scamperdog
03-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Dubnyk ready for
the next challenge
By Shane Malloy | NHL.com correspondent
Mar. 29, 2006

www.nhl.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When saddled with big expectations, one better have broad shoulders to carry the burden, figuratively speaking of course.

Devan Dubnyk, the 6-foot-6, 205-pound goaltender knows all about carrying a franchise's hopes after his four-year stint with the Western Hockey League's Kamloops Blazers. Though he may not have achieved the championships he coveted while in Kamloops, the 2004 first-round pick of the Edmonton Oilers figures to have many championship chances in the future.

Throughout his junior career in Kamloops, Dubnyk was the reliable factor game in and game out for the Blazers. In 190 regular-season games, he posted an 83-87-14 record, 15 shutouts, a 2.69 goals-against average with a .911 save percentage. His numbers are solid, considering he faced a higher degree of scoring chances playing for a team that never ranked better than average in the WHL.

"I think you try and take something positive from each teammate and coach you have," Dubnyk said of his junior experience. "I have had the opportunity to play for Brent Sutter, Dean Clark, Mark Ferner, and Ryan Thorpe and it is those little things you learn from them that takes you to the NHL.

"Most head coaches do not focus on the technical aspects of goaltending like your goaltending coach does, but they all taught me different ways to prepare for games and be professional."

Dubnyk also appreciates the World Junior Championship experience he had this year, and how it helped him be prepared for playing in Edmonton.

"The WJC experience helped me understand what the crowds and the intensity are going to be like in the NHL, especially in Edmonton," Dubnyk said. "That is the reason why I am so happy to be going to a Canadian team like Edmonton where the fans are passionate about the game ... but with that comes a lot of pressure and expectations."

Dubnyk thrives on the atmosphere and the buzz of a home building and he believes it is the best kind of atmosphere to play in.

"I don't think anyone would want it any other way; knowing the building will be sold out every night and the fans are going to be loud when you step on the ice," Dubnyk said.

Dubnyk was selected 14th overall by the Oilers in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
While not an NHLer yet, Dubnyk felt a certain kinship with NHL players earlier in March when NHL players used pink sticks to help raise awareness of breast cancer.

"It was really important to me since my mom, Barb Dubnyk, was diagnosed with it about four and half years ago," Dubnyk said. "She is doing real well now, but it certainly is something that was really hard on me. Something like that happening makes you sit back and think that there are more important things in life than playing sports and having fun all the time, and my family is what's most important.

"It made me aware to be more active. Not just to help fight breast cancer, but all cancer, and if I can do anything to help, it is something."

With one door closing another opens as Dubnyk leaves junior hockey for the professional ranks. Though Dubnyk's future is unknown, he has the self-awareness to realize where he is and where he needs to go.

"I have a few things to work on, I am 19, and I have some stuff I have to improve upon... like my puck handling. Things move quicker at the next level and mistakes can be costly," Dubnyk said. "I also think my strength needs to improve and it did over last summer, but I have a ways to go before I can get to the top of my game. You can learn and do so much technically but if you do not have the proper strength you can never get to the top of your game."

If Dubnyk continues on this path, it will be simply a matter of time before he minds the net in the NHL. He has proven his ability in every level he has competed in, and if he is able to perform solidly in the American Hockey League, the Oilers will have something to look forward to for the future.

Kamfan
03-30-2006, 01:23 AM
Still yet to sign though, correct?

Redwic
03-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Dubnyk has been a fun goaltender to watch. He certainly has robbed the Silvertips of numerous opportunities...

Although I hope that he stays one more season, there is a high probability that he will leave Kamloops before next season. I guess that it depends how he does at the NHL pre-season camp, if he's not signed before then.

But if he returns, I believe that Kamloops might truly be the B.C. Division's wild-card next season... Could be fun to watch!