PDA

View Full Version : Blades take game 4

nivek_wahs
03-30-2006, 04:11 AM
from reginapats.com

Saskatoon 5 Pats 3

This time it was the Saskatoon Blades turn. On Tuesday night the Pats battled back from a two-goal deficit and completed the comeback, to win in overtime. Wednesday night the Blades turned the trick, scoring three goals in the second period to defeat the Pats 5 - 3.

The game was interesting right from the start when Matt Robinson wired a shot off the cross-bar twenty seconds into the opening period. The Pats controlled play for the majority of the period and were physically taking the play to their provincial rivals with key body-checks from Nick Ross, Craig Schira & Colten Teubert early on.

Curtis Hunt's side grabbed the lead when Matt Robinson jumped on a lose puck following a Logan Pyett point-shot on the power-play at the 8:22 mark. Kyle Deck added the other assist on Robinson's second of the series.

Robinson scored his second of the period on a delayed power-play opportunity after Khudobin gave up another juicy rebound to the White Rock, BC native two minutes after his first goal. Denis Tolpeko & Kyle Ross had the assists.

Four seconds into a power-play Devin Setoguchi scored nice goal driving to the net beating David Reekie five-hole at the 15:03 mark.

Reekie made a nice save on Bader to preserve the Pats lead with under a minute remaining. The Pats outshot Saskatoon 12 - 5 in the opening twenty minutes.

Petr Kalus scored a goal for the ages 4:46 into the second period when his wrist shot was high missing the net, but ricocheted off the plexi-glass back to the Saskatoon net where the puck went off Khudobin's glove and in the net. Garrett Festerling & Justin Bernhardt were credited with the assists.

Brad Cole started the Blades comeback by beating a screened Reekie with a point-shot 6:18 into the middle stanza. Ryan Menei & Michael MacAngus had the assists

Wacey Rabbit evened the score with 8:23 remaining in the period electing to shoot on a two-on-one opportunity created by Chad Klassen & Joe Logan.

Klassen came close to giving the Blades the lead with just over four minutes remaining in the second, zinging a slap-shot off the post.

Joe Barnes did put the Blades ahead with a breakaway goal with 1:27 left in the period after a Pats turnover in the neutral zone. Aaron Bader had the lone assist on the play.

Saskatoon outshot the Pats 9 - 8 in the period and took the momentum into the intermission, despite being outplayed for the majority of the game until that point.

The Blades came close to gaining a two-goal advantage hitting a post and a cross-bar in the first ten minutes of the third period.

Both teams showed offensive flashes in the third period, but both goaltenders stood tall and kept the period scoreless until Zdenek Bahensky scored into an empty-net to seal the game with fifteen seconds remaining.

Anton Khudobin made twenty-eight saves in the victory.

David Reekie made sixteen saves in defeat.

The Pats were 1/2 on the power-play. Saskatoon was 1/3 with the man advantage.

To view the official online game sheet click here

Game Five of the series will be played in Saskatoon on Friday night, beginning at 7:00PM.

nivek_wahs
03-30-2006, 04:48 AM
Some thoughts...

*Pats answer for Setoguchi?... I'm still waiting. The Pats can't seem to contain him. No knock to Setoguchi's ability but man when he can get sweet scoring chances like he does against the Pats; it's crazy.

*The Pats outworked the Blades by a fairly wide margin tonight but the Blades made the Pats pay on numerous turnovers and shaky goaltending.

*The Pats were outcoached tonight. Curtis Hunt is a great coach but Lorne Molleken is that much better (I'm not gonna knock or give props to the Assistant [Perkins]/Associate[Mercier] as I can't say what responsibilties they have). Lorne knows that he has an extremely inconsistent goaltender and has adapted. Almost anytime the Pats have the puck in the Blades end they put 3 of their players infront of Khudobin so when he does give out his juicy rebounds there is almost no chance for the Pats to get them. Another thing that kinda bugs me is that everytime the Pats use the breakout with Kalus on the ice it's the SAME THING ALL the time and the Blades were just picking the puck off and clearing it back into the Pats end. Grrr... enough about the coaching.

*Setoguchi is probably one of the fastest skaters I can recall ever seeing.

*Mistakes cost teams games and the Pats have been making mistakes... little ones and big ones and the Blades somehow seem to capitalize almost every time there is a mistake made.

*Reekie had one of those games where he wasn't at the top when he needed to be (Rabbit's goal) or wasn't getting help (Barnes goal). He did okay but was shaky.

Enough for today... I'm just a bitter Pats fan right now. I look forward to feedback :laugh: .

Number_4
03-30-2006, 10:09 AM
what Ive been noticing is that the Pats seem to make one mistake that leads to a goal, then suddenly they are letting in more. Its almost like once they let one goal in, they get rattled.

Our best players are not being our best players right now. Reekie is doing alright, but he needs to step up a bit more. Same with our D. Last night, there were more than a couple of players on our D that were just awful. That could be why setogouchi is doing so well- we arent playing our best.

Kevin, your right about the coaching. Even with the last line change, the pats were outmatched more than once last night. I dont think Hunt is necessarily a bad coach, he just needs to change things up a bit. Perhaps even benching some of the "key" players to wake them up. And S'Toon has obviously learned how to contain Klaus, so we need to change things up.

Our problem is not the offence right now, its all in the D. When you can score at least 3 goals consistantly, and be down 3-1 in the series... all that I can say is wow...

witness
03-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Offensively, the Pats are doing fine. They are generating scoring chances and the forecheck is creating turnovers. The Pats need Tolpeko to start scoring (and it isn't from a lack of trying). Kalus is doing fine. That line is generating offence for at least a goal a game 5 vs 5. That is all that you can ask for from a second line. The Penality Kill needs to be better.
Pyett gave the puck away on the blue line (not a great play), but has played fairly well. Deck really struggled last night and the Shira/Ross pairing struggled the night before. I never thought that I would say this, but the Pats miss Reinhart. It is obvious that Fauth can not compete with the skilled Blade forwards and the coaching staff is being very selective with Tuebert (and they should be). As a result, Deck and Pyett are being double shifted and are starting to wear down. At least Reinhart could play that extra 8 to 10 minutes and not hurt them too badly.
They have had a couple of defensive breakdowns and it lead to goals. If the Pats want to go anywhere in the playoffs, Reekie needs to come up with a couple of those shots. More specifically, the two shots from the top of the circle. Reekie wasn't great, he was average. The Pats really need him to be excellent.

mat01800
03-30-2006, 02:00 PM
This series is done stick a fork in the Pats :groovy:

patsfan33
03-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Reeks wasn't the greatest last night, but he did enought to keep us in there

I'm gonna blame the majority of this one on Pyett and Deck..worst defensive effort i've seen by those two all season, profanity proceeded their names everytime those two steped on the ice...ugh...i'm almost wishin' Reinhart was back in the mix too...almost

N. Ross and Schira played great last night :clap: ...Sievert and Robo worked their tails off, also gotta give credit to Khudobin...showcased some stellar tending in that one

I'm heading up to S'toon friday, hopefully its not the last game of the season :( ...we just have to come out with some jump...never did that in the Credit Union Centre in the previous two games...and it definately made a difference in the games at the Brandt Centre

GO Pats GO!

nivek_wahs
03-31-2006, 02:06 AM
I'm gonna blame the majority of this one on Pyett and Deck..worst defensive effort i've seen by those two all season, profanity proceeded their names everytime those two steped on the ice...ugh...i'm almost wishin' Reinhart was back in the mix too...almost

I know there were errors on their part but that being said it takes a team to win a game and it also takes a team to lose. But the amount of turnovers they have had this series is brutal.

N. Ross and Schira played great last night ...Sievert and Robo worked their tails off

Ross and Schira have continued to improve with every shift, they still are young and will schooled once in awhile but are amazing.

Here's a thought... change 'em up. Deck with Schira and Ross with Pyett. Hmm... I wonder?

I never thought that I would say this, but the Pats miss Reinhart. It is obvious that Fauth can not compete with the skilled Blade forwards and the coaching staff is being very selective with Tuebert (and they should be). As a result, Deck and Pyett are being double shifted and are starting to wear down. At least Reinhart could play that extra 8 to 10 minutes and not hurt them too badly.

I have to agree on all counts. Fauth looks lost out there. Teubert has been okay when he actually plays (he's extremely young yet... he will only get better). I never thought I would have said this but... I miss Reinhart. He may skate around looking lazy every once in a while but he competes hard and is really good in the defensive zone.

The Pats really need him to be excellent.
I again agree. Reekie has to play like he did in the first game.

nivek_wahs
03-31-2006, 02:08 AM

Hmmm... it take 4 games to win a series... it ain't over yet...

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-31-2006, 09:51 PM

As far as im concerned, after game 5, they showed they are not down and out yet. The series is getting closer, its anyones game. Winning at the brandt centre is not a very easy feat. The blades have had recent success in regina but i would not count the pats out quite yet. We will have to see what happens in game 6