PDA

View Full Version : Setoguchi takes his game to the next level

nivek_wahs
03-31-2006, 04:19 AM
from reginapats.com

Setoguchi takes his game to the next level

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, March 30, 2006

Technically, Russ Parker owns the Regina Pats. But lately, that distinction is held by Devin Setoguchi.

The Saskatoon Blades star has six goals after the first four games of a best-of-seven WHL Eastern Conference quarterfinal against the Pats. Setoguchi's excellence is a primary reason why the Blades hold a 3-1 series lead.

Naturally, Setoguchi was in high demand after he helped Saskatoon register a 5-3 victory at the Brandt Centre on Wednesday night.

While Setoguchi was encircled by media carnivores outside the Blades' dressing room, Saskatoon head coach Lorne Molleken was asked what it was like to coach such a supremely talented player.

"Some days, it's great,'' Molleken said with his patented wry smile. "Some days, Devin and I have long talks.

"He's an outstanding talent, no question. The biggest thing is that he's playing extremely well for us in the playoffs. We need him to take another step forward in his game.''

Molleken was then asked to elaborate on the nature of his heart-to-heart conversations with Setoguchi, whom the San Jose Sharks wisely selected eighth overall in the NHL's 2005 entry draft.

"The long talks are about what he has to do to help our hockey club and what he has to do to prepare himself for the next level,'' said Molleken, who has coached with the Sharks, Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks.

"He has all the tools to play there. It's all a matter of fine-tuning his game. That's what we talk about.''

Everybody was talking about Setoguchi at the Brandt Centre last night.

While Setoguchi was being named the first star -- honestly, was there any other choice? -- one observer correctly referred to him as the best player on the ice and kept on spewing superlatives.

Setoguchi's raw totals -- one point, courtesy of the Blades' first goal -- were not reflective of his impact on the game.

Everywhere you looked, there was Setoguchi. A WHL crowd of 5,042 was treated to an NHL-calibre performance.

Clearly, Molleken's words and mentorship have left an imprint.

"That's the thing about being a go-to guy,'' Setoguchi said. "You have to be able to respond.''

The Blades responded to adversity in Game 4 against Regina. After Regina assumed a 3-1 lead, Saskatoon stormed back with four unanswered goals (including an empty-netter).

Saskatoon scored the eventual winning goal at 18:33 of the second period, when Aaron Bader pounced on a giveaway by Regina defenceman Logan Pyett and flipped the puck to Joe Barnes -- who beat David Reekie on a breakaway.

The rest of the game was uneventful. Saskatoon played impenetrable defence after assuming a one-goal lead.

In fact, Regina did not register a third-period shot on goal until 9:54 remained, when Anton Khudobin made a rudimentary save on Garrett Festerling.

The Blades' finishing touch was the byproduct of another NHL-calibre performance -- that of Molleken.

There is not a finer coach in major-junior hockey. If you do not bury a Molleken-coached team -- and the Pats had ample opportunities to do so early in Wednesday's game -- you will pay dearly, especially in key games.

Molleken has seen it all. His wisdom is instilled in the players to the extent that between-periods speeches are not always required.

"We did it on our own,'' Setoguchi said of the Blades' stifling third-period defence. "Lorne is a great coach and he's behind us 100 per cent. We're able to go out and play with our hearts and not let our emotions get the best of us.''

Wednesday's contest was a mirror image of Game 3, in which the Pats rebounded from a 3-1 disadvantage and won 5-4 in overtime.

Last night, the Blades ended up celebrating. The distinctive tones of Johnny Cash -- composer of that timeless classic, "Ring Of Fire'' -- were clearly audible from the Blades' dressing room.

Once upon a time, junior hockey teams punctuated key victories with some ear-splitting heavy metal, or by singing expletive-laden fight songs.

But on Wednesday, Johnny Cash topped the hit parade. The surname was appropriate. Setoguchi showed why he will be a millionaire. And the masterful Molleken earned every cent of his cash.

nivek_wahs
03-31-2006, 04:37 AM
I think this article is very classy and well presented and actually very true in my opinion anyway. On many occasions I don't agree with Mr. Vanstone but in this article I would have to say otherwise. Good article.

(I would have put my comments in the original post by the computer I am using is/was acting up)