PDA

View Full Version : Coach wants Ams' veterans to step up

Stay-Puft
03-31-2006, 02:08 PM
After an Everett win, the Silvertips celebrate with their own version of Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer, music blaring and two dozen young men singing off key.

With Everett leading its best-of-7 first-round series against Tri-Cities 3-1, it's the Americans who could use a prayer or two.

The Silvertips can wrap up the series in Game 5 tonight at Everett Events Center, but Everett defenseman Shaun Heshka knows it won't be an easy task.

"We may be up 3-1, but they are a great team," said Heshka, who leads the Silvertips in the series with two goals and four assists. "They will be desperate. They will come to our barn with their hardest effort, and I'm sure they will lay it all out there."

Americans coach Don Nachbaur has been pleased with his team's effort over the first four games, but he said the veterans need to step up their play if they are to keep the series alive.

"Give credit where credit is due - Everett is a good team," Nachbaur said. "We've dug deep within ourselves to be in games. It comes down to our big guys. They have to step up.

"I know we will fight to the last gasp. We aren't taking this road trip to Everett to hand them the game. If we play hard, we'll find a way to win."

Tri-Cities' top players - Ian McDonald, Jason Beeman, Matt Schneider and Logan Stephenson - have combined for three goals and two assists. Aaron Boogaard has two assists and Keith Voytechek one goal for the Americans, who are averaging 25 shots per game.

"We've got to get pucks to the net and test (Leland) Irving," Stephenson said. "Twenty-five shots is all right, but we have to get more. As far as our forecheck goes, we have to get a little harder on them, get pucks turned over in their zone and get some chances."

Stephenson's dad Bob, a former NHL player with Hartford and Toronto, attended the last two games at Toyota Center and offered his son bits of player-to-player advice - including "never quit."

"He's always got a mouthful," Logan said. "He always has something to say, but it's always good. Without him, I don't know where I'd be. It may not seem like I take his advice to heart, but I hear it and it stays in my head."

Beeman, McDonald and Schneider are the Americans' overage players in their last season in the WHL, but Stephenson, a promising defenseman in the Phoenix Coyotes system, also could be winding down his junior career.

"I'm trying to keep that out of mind," Stephenson said. "It ain't over until it's all over and I'm not quitting. I know no one in that dressing room is - I won't let them."

- The Americans will play the rest of the postseason without center Drew Hoff, who has returned home to Redvers, Saskatchewan. Hoff, 17, played three regular-season games and four playoff games for Tri-Cities, scoring his first WHL goal against Prince George on March 17.

"I would like to stay," said Hoff, who was listed by the Americans in November. "I was only supposed to be here for a week, but they kept me longer, which was good. I've missed two weeks of school, so I think it would be best to go back before I get too far behind.

Hoff joined the Americans after his Yorkton Harvest AAA midget team was bounced from the playoffs.

"It was a dream for me to play in the WHL," Hoff said. "It has been a good time. There are positives coming out of this for me. Coming into training camp, I will know everyone and it will make it easier for next year."