PDA

View Full Version : In Your Opinion, Who's the Best Player to Ever Wear Your Home Team Jersey?

Flathead
02-07-2005, 08:57 PM
The best player I ever got watch for the Broncos was Joe Sakic. What a treat it was every night you got to watch this young guy perform. Then when Moose Jaw came to town it was the Sakic and Fleury show. It was simply awesome!!
I never got to see him play as a Bronco, because I wasn't around, but Bryan Trottier would probally have to be right up there as well.
There's a long list of past Broncos that have made it to the big's, but these two, in my opinion, would probally be the best. :thumb:

Triton
02-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Mike Modano or Chris Philips

kelownakarl
02-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Scott Hannan

ointhecreek
02-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Gotta go with ya flathead. Sakic's #1. Watched Trottier play also, but I think Sakic has him beat. I also use to like watching Kimbe Daniels, was always a Tiger killer! :bounce: To bad he hasn't done much since.

ihlemic10
02-07-2005, 11:36 PM
For the Silvertips, I have to say Jeff Harvey. He was a great goalie in our extremely short history.

Willis on the Welfare
02-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Kimbi Daniels scoring 7 goals on the hat would put him near the top of my list. I'd like to say Joe Sakic, but that is too common an answer so just to be different my pick for best Bronco ever.......Danny Lambert. A 5'7 d-man who wore the C, played the PP, the PK and would sometimes fight. God Bless the little frenchman.

Furback
02-08-2005, 01:04 AM
I would say the best player i have watched with the raiders is Hartnell even though i didnt see much of him.

In the crowd
02-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Best player to come through the Ice system would have to be, even though he only played 39 games, Mike Comrie. Honerable mention would have to go to Steve McCarthy, Jarret Stoll, Dan Blackburn, Marek Svatos, Duncan Milroy and Nigel Dawes.

Scout
02-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Sakic and Trottier may have been the biggest name to wear the Bronco jersey but i loved Dave " the hammer " Schultz and Dave " Tiger " Williams.

Scout

CHtoo
02-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Joe Sakic would be an easy pick but... for sheer excitement I would pick Todd Holt. The kid could fly ( causing lots of penalties) and score. He was also a little guy with lots of finesse. Don't see that too much any more. I'm hoping Kyle Bortis is in that mold.

HAF
02-08-2005, 02:55 PM
I'd have to say Stu Barnes or Damond Lankow.

grumphy
02-08-2005, 04:28 PM
For the Tigs it would have to be Lanny

Orv
02-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Well probably for Lethbridge you'd skip the Hurricanes all together and go right to the Lethbridge Broncos all-time roster. Once there pick a random Sutter for the best. You have 5 to choose from.

Sammy
02-08-2005, 05:02 PM
For the Tigs it would have to be Lanny

What about the Gassoff boys?

grumphy
02-08-2005, 05:05 PM
What about the Gassoff boys?
I'll stick with Lanny, (Hall of Fame says it all)

ointhecreek
02-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Sakic and Trottier may have been the biggest name to wear the Bronco jersey but i loved Dave " the hammer " Schultz and Dave " Tiger " Williams.

Scout
Ya, I loved watching Tiger play! Dad use to drive the bus when the Broncos first started up and Tiger use to pull all kind of pranks an everyone. Use to piss the old man off! :laugh:

BIG_CLAW
02-08-2005, 05:17 PM
I would say Zdeno Chara or Dan Hamhuis for the cougars

Billy Blade
02-08-2005, 07:50 PM
I'd have to say Stu Barnes or Damond Lankow.

What about Kyle Reeves or Brian Sakic? ;)

Knuckle Chucker
02-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Mike Modano by far is the best Raider ever. His skating over the blueline and blasting a shot into the top corner is legendary. Not only the best Raider but the best WHL player at the time

Furback
02-08-2005, 10:40 PM
wow there were some great whlers that is a bold statment.

Knuckle Chucker
02-08-2005, 10:43 PM
wow there were some great whlers that is a bold statment.

Name one that was better

HAF
02-08-2005, 10:47 PM
What about Kyle Reeves or Brian Sakic? ;)
Definately should have been in that list as well. I could write a list but thought we were just naming a few. How about Olie Kolzig? What a great goalie!!!

CHtoo
02-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Mike Modano by far is the best Raider ever. His skating over the blueline and blasting a shot into the top corner is legendary. Not only the best Raider but the best WHL player at the time

Who would guess I would disagree:

Joe Sakic beats Modano

Joe
1986-87 133 points
Mike
1986-87 62 points
Joe
1987-88 160 points
Mike
1987-88 127 points
Joe
1988-89 big leagues
Mike
1988-89 105 points

Playoffs

Each one season
Joe
10 games 11 goals 13 assists
Mike
9 games 7 goals 11 assists

In all aspects Joe wins. Sorry

Flathead
02-08-2005, 11:08 PM
I'll agree with that Sakic, better than Modano. Modano was awesome to watch as well, but he wasn't Jooooooooooooe Sakic.

fightstrap50
02-09-2005, 01:07 AM
thats to much of a toss up in this town but to name afew who have gone on to bigger things mike comrie,jaret stoll,dan blackburn,nigel dawes,marek svatos,zdenik blatny,steve mcarthy,jaroslav svoboda,duncan milroy,jason jaffray,but if i have to name a favorite its gotta be Stolly all the way,hes a quality guy even to see and talk with around town as well as a hell of a hard woker with a lot of heart to keep goin!!
fightstrap50

OnICE
02-09-2005, 09:13 AM
all right - but the most exciting have to be Comrie and Svatos and those are probably the most likely to make a big impact in the NHL or whatever they are going to call that pro league if the squabble ever gets done. For pure entertainment, and depending on what part of the game you enjoy, honourable mention have to go to Belak and Jablonski.

GO ICE GO!!!

WE BELIEVE!!!

Spungy
02-09-2005, 09:50 AM
i agree on the Svatos vote!! He was one of my favorites to watch so far.

i jumped on the bandwagan just after Comrie, saw him in one game. and i have heard things about Belak for ever everone wants another Belak :D

Billy Blade
02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
I've had so many favourites over the years watching the Blades it's so tough to come up with one or two. We've had plenty of "solid" players come through, but not a lot of superstars. Some of my favourites that jump out immediately in my mind for good memories are:

Wendel Clark, Kevin Kaminski, Jason Christie, Frank Banham, Norm Maracle, Brian Skrudland, Leroy Gorski, Dave Brown, Joey Kocur, Marc Habscheid, Bruce Gordon, Richard Matvichuk, Rhett Warrener... ah I can just keep going, too many to list! Obviously I like the tough guys, especially the ones who can score. :D

Nielson11
02-09-2005, 10:36 AM
For those of you arguing about Sakic and Modano...you're both wrong. Hell Sakic wasn't even the best sakic in the WHL.

Check out the Numbers Brian Sakic put up...they are amazing.

Captain Hack
02-09-2005, 10:41 AM
In the 10 years that the Hitmen have been around it has to be Brad Moran. The heart and soul of this team, the man who helped make Pavel Brendl and saw this team from league doormat to the cusp of a Memorial Cup. He was also a class act, same with Matt Kinch.

Some may argue now about Geztlaf

Beaner
02-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Im not going with a current Giant because the team history is so young.

Back in time to the NW Bruins, Stan Smyl.

Now I feel old......

Furback
02-09-2005, 04:57 PM
I would say ray ferrero was a better whler too but i hate to compare players when they dont play in the same years. Fluery put up some nice numbers ronning did as well. sakic for sure is up there. So with all this great tallent to say without question modano is the best player in the whl is insane. Oh ya Bobby clarke was a decent whler too.

CHtoo
02-09-2005, 05:05 PM
For those of you arguing about Sakic and Modano...you're both wrong. Hell Sakic wasn't even the best sakic in the WHL.

I believe the original post referred to the same time?

Yes Brian did put up some great numbers but he was later than Joe and Mike.
However his numbers didn't equate to a stint in the show. Where the two mentioned players have proved themselves and ( if the NHL ever comes back ) will continue for a few more years.

Tipped Off
02-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Wow, it's a great debate that's for sure. It is great listening to all these names fly around out there. I can't wait until/if our team has enough history to throw names around like that. throwing out there Jeff Harvey, Zack Hamill, Riley Armstrong, etc... just doesn;t seem to have the same signifigance...lol. Maybe some day I'll get to look back and say, Iremember when the Tips had that kid xxxxx......

Furback
02-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Knuckel chucker i can name a few that are close if not better whlers. Ray ferrero, cliff ronning, Joe sakic, theo fluery there is so much tallent to say modano is the best whler is crazy he is up there no doubt but the best like i said bold statment. oh ya we cant forget bobby clarke

ointhecreek
02-09-2005, 07:06 PM

I gotta argue with you here. I watched both play, and Joe could skate cicles around Brian. That being said, I think Brian had more of a problem with the coach at the time than Joe did. Getting out of Swift was the best thing that happened for him.

Scout
02-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Has played in the Dub. But my favourite line of all time was the 78/79 line for the Brandon Wheatkings of Brian Propp,Laurie Boschman and Ray Allison.

Brian Propp 78/79 Wheatkings

G.P. 71 GOALS 94 ASSISTS 100 TOTAL POINTS 194

Laurie Boschman 78/79 Wheatkings

G.P. 65 GOALS 66 ASSISTS 83 TOTAL POINTS 149

Ray Allison 78/79 Wheatkings

G.P. 62 GOALS 60 ASSISTS 93 TOTAL POINTS 153

That line was unstoppable. I could not believe how good they were. I don't think a line has even come close to them. Man i feel old.

Scout

Chipper
02-09-2005, 08:40 PM
as an Ice fan I Would have to say COMRIE but I truly beleave that DAWES will be a player to recon with down the road

pgcougarfan
02-10-2005, 01:41 AM
It's between Eric Brewer & Zdeno Chara. Since big "Z" was runner-up for the Norris Trophy I'll give him the nod. Brewer would be the sentimental choice.

Tinner
02-10-2005, 08:35 AM
It's between Eric Brewer & Zdeno Chara. Since big "Z" was runner-up for the Norris Trophy I'll give him the nod. Brewer would be the sentimental choice.

Your picks are likely right for the PG Cougars, but for the cougars as an organization, its likely Grant Fuhr.....hands down.

Tinner
02-10-2005, 09:03 AM
in no particular order

aaron asham, jesse wallin, jim van dermeer, shane benderra, cam ward, bj young, dean tilgen and phaneuf

:p

tazndevil
02-10-2005, 09:37 AM
As for the Calgary Hitmen, I would say Brad Moran.

Close second to Brandon Segal.

And to the Red Deer fans, what about Justin Mapletoft. Anytime you guys needed a big goal, it seemed he had the puck, and about 10 seconds later we were digging it out of our net.

Kootenay fans, I'd say your best player was Jarret Stoll. Guy could do it all.
And now that he's an Oiler, you gotta love him.

Taz

RDRebelsfan
02-10-2005, 07:08 PM
I'll go with Phaneuf, Ward, Bendera, Vandermeer, Lynch, Woywitka, Erat, Mapletoft, Gordon, Asham, Young, Tiltgen

Brad
02-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Jon Mirasty...ok ok...Daymond Langkow

Red celtic
02-11-2005, 11:43 AM
My picks would have to be Justin Mapletoft, Martin Erat, B.J.Young, Cam Ward,and Aaron Asham

90-91
02-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Bryan McCabe in Spoke......... :groovy:

OHLArenaGuide
02-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Out east here in London, either Darryl Sittler, Brendan Shanahan or Dino Ciccarelli.

In the past few years it would have to be Rick Nash.

a7x
02-18-2005, 04:44 PM
For the Hawks there are a ton to name. Some that stick out in my head right now would have to be Cam Neely, Mark Messier, Adam Deadmarsh, Marian Hossa, Dennis Holland, Brenden Morrow, Lonny Bohonos, Andrew Ference. But for the most heart, that would definately have to go to Marty Standish. Tiny guy who gave it his all every night.

Knuckle Chucker
02-18-2005, 06:12 PM
I would say ray ferrero was a better whler too but i hate to compare players when they dont play in the same years. Fluery put up some nice numbers ronning did as well. sakic for sure is up there. So with all this great tallent to say without question modano is the best player in the whl is insane. Oh ya Bobby clarke was a decent whler too.

Actually READ the quote: I said at the time....not best ever. Sakic ended up being a better player in the NHL but nobody at the time was more exciting to watch then Motor City Mike (IMO)

Flathead
02-18-2005, 06:59 PM
At the time, is what your saying? Sakic and Modano did play at the same time and in 86-87, Joe had 71 more points!! 87-88, Joe had 33 more points. 88-89, Joe was playing in the show, Modano was still in the dub, so mabye 88-89 season no one was better than Mike. The years that Sakic and Modano played in the league together there was also a little guy that goes by the name of Theoron Fleury, who in my opinion was also more exciting to watch. Modano was a treat to watch but I feel that Sakic and Fleury were better. :thumb:

Knuckle Chucker
02-18-2005, 11:25 PM
At the time, is what your saying? Sakic and Modano did play at the same time and in 86-87, Joe had 71 more points!! 87-88, Joe had 33 more points. 88-89, Joe was playing in the show, Modano was still in the dub, so mabye 88-89 season no one was better than Mike. The years that Sakic and Modano played in the league together there was also a little guy that goes by the name of Theoron Fleury, who in my opinion was also more exciting to watch. Modano was a treat to watch but I feel that Sakic and Fleury were better. :thumb:

I can respect that. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Modano was playing on a team with less offencive support then Swift so I don't look at just points. He was a treat to watch and first overall in the draft