PDA

View Full Version : Game 5 Cougars 2 @ Giants 5 Apr 1st

Beaner
04-02-2006, 12:42 AM
The best game of the 3 played in Vancouver tonight. Game started out with both teams exchanging chances and for a while it looked like the Cougars may be able to keep the Giants hemmed in their own zone for some extended periods. But by about the mid point of the 1st period the Giants took control and started to once again wear down the Cougars with a relentless forecheck and cycle in the Cougars zone. By the end of the game once again the Cougars D was completely worn out, and the Cougars could just not get anything going.

NOTES
Slade and Bowles got the starts.
Mikkelson (Knee), Rutherford (Shoulder), Czibre, Dulle, and Flatters were the scratches.
Shots 41-20 Giants
PP Giants 2/9, Cougars 2/8

GOALS
1. P.G Patterson, (1) (Walker, Featherstone), 3:30 (PP) 5-4, Patterson collects the rebound off the Walker point shot, and pulls it to his forehand and pots it into the open cage.
1. VAN Brule, (5) (Machacek, Bartley), 4:57 Machacek shot, rebound that Brule picks up and he cuts acros the net and waits then fires the puck in past the diving Bowles.
1. VAN Lucic, (1) (Festerling), 16:16 Festerling fires a shot that misses the net, and the puck goes off the end boards right to Lucic on the other side and he puts it into the open side.
2. VAN Machacek, (1) (Franson, Albers), 11:18 (PP) Can't seem to remember this goal, but I believe it came off of another rebound. If anyone recalls, be sure to let us know.
2. VAN Machacek, (2) (Brule, Albers), 13:04 (PP) 5-4, Brule breaking down the wing, winds up for the shot, its blocked, the puck goes right to Machacek, and he wires it high past Bowles.
2. P.G Hunter, (3) (Patterson, Featherstone), 17:32 (PP) 5-4, Patterson throws the puck in the middle goes off of Fistrics' skate right to Hunter, and he just fires a quick shot that beats an unprepared Slade.
3. VAN Machacek, (3) (Fistric, Brule), 3:20 Off the Fistric shot, a rebound comes to Machacek who is right in front of Bowles and he chips it up and over to get the hat trick.

FISTICUFFS
None

OFFICIATING
Herrmann tonight and I thought he did a very good job tonight. Called most of what he had to, let a few things go but for the most part he let the boys play. Probably the best job of the series.

OVERALL
The Giants depth finally did the Cougars in. The ability to roll 4 lines was just too much for the Cougars as you could just tell that they didnt have enough to keep up with the Giants.

Giants cycle down low was great tonight, and the Forecheck we had all beeen looking to really get going finally did tonight. Pretty much a dominating effort from the Giants, I don't think the Cougars had any real even strength chances. Shots at the end of 2 periods were 30-10 for the Giants, which really tells the story of tonights game.

Nice effort from the Cougars, with their backs against the wall, but just not enough depth for them to come back in this game once they were down.

Great job by the Giants to keep it together after giving up the first goal, and for finishing off their opponent at the first oppurtunity.

Enjoy your day off tomorrow and look forward to seeing some round 2 action. :)

3 STARS
1. VAN - 15 Spencer Machacek
2. VAN - 17 Gilbert Brule
3. VAN - 5 Mark Fistric

rinkrat
04-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Apparently Jared Walker and one of his teammates had early tee-times booked as they left the ice without shaking hands.Pretty sad sportsmanship. :clown:

Swando
04-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Good recap Beaner. I thot the reffing was the best of the series. The speed the Giants came out with on the cycle either led to a scoring chance or drew a penalty. The ref recognized this and early on called most blantant hooks etc... and then let both teams get away with the odd infraction when the game was sort of dictated. I wish all games could be reffed like this.

On another matter did you notice (or was I oblivious) that Zimmer didn't play much after he took "another" elbowing penalty!

Knuckles Muldoon
04-02-2006, 01:26 AM
Great game, Giants hockey at its finest. The boys forecheck and cycle was a sight to behold. Felt sorry for Wishart, Cooper and Featherstone chasing jackrabbits like Repik, Lamb, Brule and Kraus around. It was great to see the boys working hard right off the hop. Even though Patterson scored early, the boys carried on undeterred and blitzed PG for the rest of the 1st period. Great work by Hunt to stir it up leading to Lucic's goal. The second was a very strong period for the Giants and they walked the dog home in the third. A textbook win.
Repik was really dancing out there; can't believe he didn't score. Lamb was setting the tone for work ethic early and drew two penalties. He had a very good series despite not scoring any goals. Fisty was skating and carrying the puck like I've never seen before. Festerling had a terrific game and was rock solid (again!). Franson was also a standout, moving the puck cooly and confidently all game long. Kudos to the grinders, too. Watt had his best game of the series and Hunt did his job beautifully. Bliznak had a strong game and is turning into an extremely effective checking center and PK man. His best hockey of the season was played in this series. And Machacek continues to amaze. Watching his play is just a reminder how far hard work can take someone. His play since day 1 has epitomized everything about this year's team. Consistent, enthusiastic and improving. What a gem he is. And Mr. B was pretty good, too. Quite frankly, its even boring talking about him because he makes his presence felt every night on just about every shift. When the team needs a goal, he goes out and scores it. Just an amazing knack of picking his team up when its needed. A marvel to watch every night. Everybody was good in game 5 and it ought to serve a serious notice to everyone in the league that these guys are serious business. Its going to be hard to take them out in a 7-game series. And a congrats to Coach Don (and Bones) for getting this team primed. They taught; the kids listened. And its paying big dividends.
Well done, lads. Rest up for round 2. We're right behind ya. :thumb:

dondo
04-02-2006, 05:01 PM
I love Spence, might have to get #15 and Machacek put onto my jersey... great hard work to get his goals

The most impressive thing about this win for me was how hard the Giants were skating being up by two or three goals. No line had a lazy, lackadaiscal shift (except for one PK line which got caught standing in its neutral zone - and paid for it).

the entire team kept their feet moving and played like they were behind when they were ahead. This would one of the best traits about being a Don Hay coached team. I don't think is a squad that is going to assume anything and are going to take every opponent seriously.

I'm looking forward to the next round.. and I loved that the Giants decided to play their game in this one and even after being scored upon first they not only bounced back, but made a statement.

dondo
04-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Good recap Beaner. I thot the reffing was the best of the series. The speed the Giants came out with on the cycle either led to a scoring chance or drew a penalty. The ref recognized this and early on called most blantant hooks etc... and then let both teams get away with the odd infraction when the game was sort of dictated. I wish all games could be reffed like this.

On another matter did you notice (or was I oblivious) that Zimmer didn't play much after he took "another" elbowing penalty!

indeed a very well reffed game.. if only for how consistent his calls were across the board.

I thought he might have been guilty of calling equalisation penalties, but I thought the Giants earned all the penalties they got as well as PG.. in the end PG ended up with one more penalty against.. which when they realized that the interferences were going to be called played a bit smarter, less clutchy game and that opened the ice up for the faster skating Giants.

Goes to show you how Smith hampered the Giants (in game four) by "letting them play", and not calling those kinds of interferences.

Bran
04-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Congrats to your boys on winning their series!
And I just have to say Knuckles, I LOVE your avatar!