PDA

View Full Version : [Split] Expansion Draft Clarification

dondo
04-02-2006, 04:20 PM
who wants to bet that Rutherford will be one our unprotected players for the waiver draft.

rinkrat
04-02-2006, 04:53 PM
who wants to bet that Rutherford will be one our unprotected players for the waiver draft.
I'll take that bet.How much? ;)

If you are talking about the expansion draft,we traded Cody Smuck to the Bruins,in liue of a draft pick.

dondo
04-02-2006, 05:11 PM
that still leaves two players we have to leave unprotected doesn't it? Or am I completely confused

and as I read yes, we traded Smuk for one of our waiver draftees

rinkrat
04-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Nope,they are only allowed to pick one player per team,excluding Tri Cities.They can select up to three Tri Cities players,aqs part of the sale agreement.(NW Bruin,please correct me if I'm wrong.)

dondo
04-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Nope,they are only allowed to pick one player per team,excluding Tri Cities.They can select up to three Tri Cities players,aqs part of the sale agreement.(NW Bruin,please correct me if I'm wrong.)

oh okay, thx rink rat .. so is that one from every team in the dub or just the western conference? I guess western conference and then three from tri-cities then. So we don't have to leave anyone unprotected is what i understand - yea! rutherford ;)

N.W. Bruin
04-02-2006, 05:52 PM

Giants have dealt with that by trading Smuk. If they hadn't the number of guys the team would have to leave unexposured would likely be around ten and they would lose one of those. It is the 50 players on the protected list less the 90s and 91s on the list plus either 15 or 16 others (depending on which way a team goes with their overagers - some teams will protect 15 others 16) plus in Tri-City's case 12 others. For the Everett expansion the Giants had 10 players exposed and the Silvertips picked Mitch McGillivary from their list. Mitch was acquired in the Medicine Hat deal that brought Mitch Bartley, Adam Couchaine and another player (Rawyk?) plus the first round bantam choice from the Tigers for three older players. McGillivray wouldn't report to the Giants' camp as wanted to go the college route. Everett took him as he was a good Junior A scorer and thought they might be able to convince him to show.

N.W. Bruin
04-02-2006, 05:58 PM
19 players from the 19 teams and 3 players from Tri-City. The deals that were done prior to the draft will just slot into the expansion picks. The Winterhawks who traded two will have one player slotted as the expansion pick as they were picks involved there changing hands. Also teams can trade bantam picks instead of someone off their 50 PPL to Chilliwack.

dondo
04-03-2006, 01:26 PM
thx for the clarification guys (as I'm sure I'm not the only guy who was unclear on this) and the split