PDA

View Full Version : Canada names IIHF World Championship staff

nivek_wahs
04-04-2006, 02:14 AM
from tsn.ca

Yawney, Julien to join Team Canada
Canadian Press
4/3/2006 2:14:10 PM

Claude Julien can't wait to get back behind a bench.

The former Montreal Canadiens coach will get that chance with Team Canada at the IIHF world championships May 5-21 in Riga, Latvia.

Julien and Chicago Blackhawks coach Trent Yawney were named assistants to head coach Marc Habscheid at a news conference Monday in Calgary.

And Mike Barnett, general manager of the Phoenix Coyotes, was named assistant to Team Canada GM Ken Holland.

"It's definitely exciting any time you get a chance to get back behind a bench," Julien said. "I couldn't ask for more."

Julien was fired in January after two years in Montreal when general manager Bob Gainey opted to take over himself and bring in Guy Carbonneau as associate coach, to move in as head coach next season.

Since then, the 45-year-old Julien has taken a vacation, done a little television work and "kept up with what's happening in the NHL.

"I said I wanted to be back coaching as soon as possible. This gives me a chance to get behind a bench this year. Hopefully, by the fall of next year, I'll be coaching somewhere again."

Julien is no stranger to international hockey. The former junior and AHL coach led the Canadian under-18 team to gold in 1998 and twice coached at the world junior championships, taking bronze as head coach in 2000.

"I've worked with young players and now it's pros," he said. "What changes is the level, but I don't think the approach changes. I think the experience I have will be a benefit."

Yawney is completing his first year as coach of the injury-riddled Chicago Blackhawks, who will miss the playoffs.

"It's been a disappointing year for us in Chicago," said the former NHL defenceman. "But at the same time, it's the first time in five years I've been out of the post-season, so to continue in May will be exciting.

"It's a great honour to represent your country."

Yawney and Habscheid were teammates on Canada's 1988 Olympic squad. Yawney also played twice at world championships. The Hudson Bay, Sask., native spent five years as coach of Norfolk in the AHL before taking the Chicago job.

"Having experience playing over there (in Europe), although it was a little while ago, I think I can at least relate to the defence what to expect," he said.

Barnett's Coyotes were also eliminated from the NHL playoffs. He will accompany the team to Riga while Holland stays behind with the Detroit Red Wings.

Holland met with his staff, except for Yawney, in Calgary. All will be involved in identifying and selecting players. Players are nearly all taken from clubs that miss the playoffs or are knocked out in the first round.

A handful of players are to be named next week and the rest will be added later.

Among the players who should be available are Sidney Crosby, his linemate Colby Armstrong and goalie Marc-Andre Fleury of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Patrice Bergeron of the Boston Bruins, Rick Nash of the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Coyotes' Shane Doan.

If Florida falls short, Olympic team veterans Roberto Luongo and Jay Bouwmeester may be able to play; and if Toronto's out, Bryan McCabe and Darcy Tucker may get called.

Canada opens play at the worlds against Denmark on May 5. It will also play Norway and the United States in the first round.

Last spring, Canada was beaten by the Czech Republic in the gold medal game of the 2005 world championships in Austria.

Toswammi
04-04-2006, 10:25 AM
I really like this tourny as it proves that the best talent doesnt always win. Just look at some of the Canadian teams that have won it, not always the most talented but wanted it more. Cant wait to watch the tourny this year.