PDA

View Full Version : Rookie coach...Citizen 03-04-06

Sput
04-04-2006, 09:08 PM
by JIM SWANSON

Citizen Sports Editor

A rookie coach, with a collection of players who have basically only heard tale of the playoffs.

On the surface, anything but a match made in hockey heaven — but the marriage of Mike Vandekamp and a group of unproven teens turned into an intriguing mix over 72 games and one short round in the playoffs.

Vandekamp, who signed on as coach in August when the relationship between management and Lane Lambert turned irretrievably sour, handled his baptism by fire with remarkable grace. His players fed off an honest yet positive approach, and the coach will have more than a few lessons to ponder over the summer.

First and foremost among Vandekamp's mental notes — comparing the WHL with the BCHL is like comparing fresh apples with tasteless oranges, and the travel is as arduous as advertised.

"I learned that this is a great league and the other coaches are good," said Vandekamp, who survived his first season coaching higher than junior A.

"There are no easy nights. Teams are very well prepared, without question more prepared than in the B.C. Hockey League. The coaching is tremendously better. The players are similar, and our travel schedule is a difficult challenge. We're going to have to find a way to massage that a little bit. I don't think we're doing anything wrong, but maybe there are ways to get little edges to give ourselves a break here or there. We struggled on some road trips that really kicked us in the rear end.

"There's been a lot of talk around Prince George about us, generally speaking, having a positive season. For me, it was difficult because I think we were pretty average, and I've never been one to be pleased with mediocrity. I'm hoping to be able to take time this summer to put more of a personal stamp on this team. I got the job pretty late, right before training camp, and had no input whatsoever, basically. Even in training camp, I just sat back and watched and learned, and I think there are some things we can add and improve to be a better club."

Vandekamp's rookie season has to be labeled a success for more than one reason. For the first time in many years, there wasn't one reported off-ice player incident that brought discipline and commitment into question. The players, all of whom say they respected Lambert, believe a crucial step was taken under Vandekamp.

The players say they were taught a lot by Lambert, and that transition phase was necessary for a team that had lost discipline and direction.

"I loved Lane and learned a lot from Lane, but I raised my game this year," said Eric Hunter.

"Maybe it's just me growing up. For whatever reason, Lane wasn't a great fit for those hockey clubs, and I think he'd say that. Mike carried things on for me, gave me a lot of workload, trust and responsibility. He's a big part of my resurgence."

The toughest message Vandekamp might have had to deliver all season was during the second intermission of Saturday's playoff-ending loss to the Giants. Vancouver had delivered a dominating period, going ahead 4-2, and it didn't take a soothsayer to see the end was imminent.

"The biggest thing we talked about is how we've been a proud team, a hard-working team, and an honest team, and created pride in the Cougar jersey," said Vandekamp.

"It was important we played that way not matter what the score was, right to the bitter end. We talked about that a lot as a team this year, playing for pride and for each other. Being down a couple goals to a team like the Giants can be devastating, but I was proud of the guys that they played hard."

Vandekamp, the 34-year-old originally from Fort St. John, sees building blocks for the future — some, but not all, are in place.

"The whole mission this season was to get the team into the playoffs," said Vandekamp.

"That will let all parts of the organization, on-ice and off-ice, learn about what our team may be missing and what kinds of ingredients we need to add to be successful. The players are feeling regret right now, that maybe they have more to give, and regret is a tough pill to swallow."

And the lessons learned in the playoffs were not all easy ones. Some, like Nick Drazenovic, who didn't record a point in five games, took their lumps.

"Nick, five games without a goal after 30 in the regular season, he'll learn from that," said Vandekamp.

"Ty Wishart played a lot, and learned a lot. Greg Gardner was a better player in the playoffs, like I thought he might be, because those kinds of players shine this time of year. He can gain confidence from that. And Dana Tyrell has had a great season for us as a 16-year-old, and when we had him on a line with (Myles Zimmer) at the end we might've had our next captain playing with our current captain. He'll be a heckuva player."

dondo
04-05-2006, 12:15 AM
I applaud how Vandekamp got his boys refocused for game 4 in our series. Didn't watch him that closely the rest of the season but I think he was able to motivate his players well during the series and should garner even more respect next season.

Sput
04-05-2006, 10:11 AM
For myself, what impressed my the most is how he was able to work with this team right from August, and make it HIS team. It isn' to often you will have a rookie coach in a league like this, with the team the Cougars finished with last season, and have a +.500 record. The structure of the team wasn't one that Vandekamp put together. He just made the best of it with what he had to work with. I think the fact that he is young and energetic rubs off on the guys in the room. Stu now is the old guy on the bench at 36. I certain hope Mike's attitude and energy keeps working its way through the team for many seasons to come.