PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Entry Draft?

The_Vulk
01-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Since the contract between the CHL and the NHL has expired, with regards to the draft, what is going to happen?

I heard rumors that they (the NHL) will not be having a draft during the lock-out, so this years draft will not happen, and who knows when it will happen.

ofhdhdy
01-13-2005, 06:33 PM
The rumours you are hearing are true. How can they hold a draft without a season? They cant because the order of the draft corresponds with the final standings and with no NHL they dont have standings. It would be pretty cheap to draw out of a hat or use last years standings considering Crosby and Brule are on the line here! Either the 2005 players become free agents or they enter the 2006 hopefully they enter the 2006 draft because then some rich team can just come along and sign Crosby and who would want to see Crosby playing for the Rangers besides Rangers fans?

Fight Guy
01-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I was kinda wondering what would happen with this years eligible draftees with now draft. I sure hope they are put in the 2006 draft. I dont liek the idea of them becoming free agents.

ScottyWazz
01-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Well-- if a new CBA isn't in tact by June, then no Draft. The Draftees have two options: (1) they can just declare free agency then go to the highest bidder or (2) they can be in the 2006 Draft Pool.

The latter will more than likely happen for most of the players.

IceMan
01-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Legally, there cannot be a draft without a CBA.

When the CBA is done (hello ... it would go faster if you talked about it more than once every 9 weeks), there's going to be a HUGE debate over draft order. Do the Capitals go #1 again, and get both Ovechkin and Crosby? Yikes.

This is going to cause a big ugly mess (known here in the states as a Cluster ****), with the OAs from the Dub,Q,OHL and the ECHL/AHL. Lots of players looking for a place to play. You have to assume that all of our 20's and Draft Eligibles will be left hanging.

ScottyWazz
01-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Well, if there isn't a season, but a CBA gets done in time for a Draft, a weighted lottery based on the '03-'04 season would happen.

kelownakarl
01-14-2005, 02:44 PM
I think they should just throw every teams name in a hat and draw 1 through 30 for the draft.... :D

The_Vulk
01-14-2005, 05:15 PM
I think they should just throw every teams name in a hat and draw 1 through 30 for the draft.... :D
If only it can be as simple and straight forward as that.