PDA

View Full Version : Ams trio following dreams to next level

HAF
04-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Ams trio following dreams to next level
This story was published Wednesday, April 5th, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

The Tri-City Americans have a lot in common with Old Mother Hubbard.

While Mother Hubbard was looking in a bare cupboard for a bone for her dog, the Americans are searching for scoring in a dressing room stripped of three of their top scorers with the departure of their overage players.

Center Ian McDonald, right wing Jason Beeman and center Matt Schneider, who scored a combined 90 goals for the Americans this season, finished their Western Hockey League careers and have signed to play at a higher level after the Americans ended their playoff run with with a 4-1 series loss to Everett on Friday.

Tri-Cities may also have to replace veteran defenseman Logan Stephenson, a 2004 second-round draft pick of the Phoenix Coyotes. Stephenson had a career high 10 goals and 53 points this season and was named a second-team WHL All-star.

Stephenson, 20, has one more year of WHL eligibility, but is ready to take his talents to the next level, following in the footsteps of former Tri-City defensemen Clayton Stoner and Shawn Belle, who also left one year early.

"I'm not doing anything right now. I'm relaxing and getting my second wind," said Stephenson, who is vacationing in Calgary, Alberta. "I will be back for training camp in the fall; I'll go to the Coyotes team camp and we'll see how things go from there. There are no guarantees in the hockey world."

The Americans also will be without Igor Bacek next season. Bacek, who returned to Slovakia on Tuesday afternoon, will join the Slovakian men's national team in May.

However, the Americans cupboard will not be completely bare. Tri-Cities returns several key players including goalies Carey Price and Chet Pickard, forwards Taylor Procyshen and Alex Aldred and defensemen Cole Butterfield and Matt Swaby.

"There are a lot of quality players coming back," said Americans general manager Bob Tory. "Someone will fill those roles. There will be those players who come in, score and surprise some people. Someone people won't think about. No one predicted Ian would have the year he had. A new season means a new opportunity for players."

Beeman, McDonald and Schneider won't have to worry about next season.

A native of Diamond Bar, Calif., Beeman signed to play with the Long Beach Ice Dogs of the ECHL and had his first practice with the team Tuesday. McDonald leaves today to join the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees of the Central Hockey League, while Schneider leaves Thursday to join the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights of the AHL.

"They came into the league with aspirations and dreams and now they can grow their dreams in other directions," Tory said. "They will face new challenges and hopefully things work out for them."

Long Beach, affiliated with the Montreal Canadiens, signed Beeman to a free-agent contract. He is scheduled to play his first game in Las Vegas on Friday. The Ice Dogs (36-25-9, 81 points) are in second place in the Pacific Division of the National Conference behind Fresno (97 points).

"They have a couple more regular-season games then the playoffs," Beeman said. "It will be a fun weekend. Hopefully, I'll turn some heads. I needed a good year like I had (28 goals, 58 points) to get the phone ringing."

Schneider will join the Knights, an affiliate team of the Calgary Flames, for their weekend games against Iowa and Peoria, and on April 11 and 14, will have an opportunity to play against former Tri-City teammates Stoner and Belle when the Knights travel to Houston for a pair of games against the Aeros. The Knights are tied for eighth place and are fighting for a playoff spot.

"It's a great opportunity for me," said Schneider, a 2004 draft pick of the Flames. "They called and wanted me to play and get a little experience before I go into next year. It's a chance to get my feet wet. I'll go and play my best. I don't have any expectations."

McDonald, who led the Americans with 37 goals and 92 points and was a first team All-star, will only get a handful of games with Rio Grande. The Killer Bees are in the middle of their playoff series with the Laredo Bucks in the CHL's Southern Conference semifinals.

"It's nice to go to a team that wants you to come," said McDonald, who will be making his first trip to Texas. "It's good for me to get taste of the next level. It will be a little different playing against men instead of kids, but it will help me see where I'm at."

* Annie Fowler can be reached at 582-1574 or via e-mail at afowler@tricityherald.com

HAF
04-08-2006, 12:50 AM
3rd Prd: Lng - Cory Urquhart 27 (justin Aikens, Jason Beeman) 19:42

HAF
04-08-2006, 07:30 PM
I Mac got a goal and second star in his debut last night as well!
http://www.killerbeehockey.com/news/040806B.html