PDA

View Full Version : Tips Take out Rockets in Game 1

Tipped Off
04-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Tips win Game 1 in Kelowna.

Mueller With the EN Goal! 5-3 Tips. Tips are 3-0 on the Road so far in the playoffs.

Neither team converted on the PP. Tips had 6 chances, Rockets 2....and believe me, the Rockets announcers are complaining about it! ...of the 6 Kelowna penalties, two were for Delay of Game (puck over the glass). So of the six Real penalties he called (4 on Rockets, 2 on Tips), three were tripping, two were interference and one was holding. He called 4 in the 1st, two in the 2nd and none in the third. If you don't know by now that in playoff hockey there has to be murder to get a call in the third, you've been under a rock.

Tips outshot the Rockets, 28-18.
Three Stars:
1. EVT - 26 Shaun Heshka
2. KEL - 17 Brent Howarth
3. EVT - 88 Peter Mueller

I didn't think either goalie looked very sharp. I know Yeomans would have iked to have a couple back and, although th einternet feed didn't allow me to see the 1st goal by the rockets, goal #2 for Kelowna was one Leland usually comes up with.

The Tips looked good early on the PP even though no goals were produced. While Heshka was out, they didn't get a shot off on the PP later on. He is the key to the Tips PP opps. I sure hope we can get someone to step up next year into that role.

Tipped Off
04-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Posted : : 04/08/2006
Everett Skates Away with a 1-0 Series Lead Over Kelowna
Silvertips Undefeated on Road in Post Season
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Kelowna, BC - Tonight at Prospera Place in Kelowna, BC the Everett Silvertips came from behind to win the game 5-3 and take a 1-0 series lead in this best of seven, Western Conference Semi-Final round. Tonight was game number one and the Silvertips stole the Rocket's home ice advantage. Everett is now undefeated, 3-0, on the road in this post season.

The Rockets got on the board early after Clayton Bauer wristed a shot by Leland Irving to put the Silvertips down 1-0. Then, late in the second, Everett started the train. At 17:05 Shaun Heshka fired a shot from the top point to tie the game up at one a piece. Twenty-six seconds later Cody Thoring fired a similar shot which was deflected by Karel Hromas to put them up 2-1. But with 1:11 to go in the period, Chris Ray again tied the game to end period two at 2-2.

Eight minutes into the third Brady Calla and John Lammers had a 2-on-1 which again padded their lead by one goal. Then at 10:40 Peter Mueller scored the game winner after some great passing from Ondrej Fiala and Torrie Wheat. With under five minutes to go Blake Comeau brought the Rockets to within one but Peter Mueller slammed the door shut with and unassisted, empty-netter at 18:54.

Captain Torrie Wheat lead his club with two assists while Peter Mueller, Cody Thoring, Taylor Ellington, John Lammers and Ondrej Fiala all earned one helper a piece. Leland Irving, in the pipes for Everett, stopped 15 of 18 pucks and moves up to 5-1 in the post season. Derek Yeomans, the Kelowna netminder, made 23 saves on 27 shots and drops to 4-2-1. Both teams were scoreless on the extra man advantage with the Silvertips having six chances and the Rockets having only two. Everett out shot Kelowna 28-18.

These two clubs battle in game number two on Sunday, April 9th, at 5pm at Prospera Place in Kelowna, BC. The series moves south to the Everett Events Center on Tuesday and Wednesday, March 11th and 12th. Both home games begin at 7:05pm.

Silvertips Box Scores

Peter Mueller (2, 3) 2 G, 1 A
Shaun Heshka (3) 1 G
Karel Hromas (2) 1 G
Brady Calla (1) 1 G
Torrie Wheat 2 A
Cody Thoring 1 A
Taylor Ellington 1 A
John Lammers 1 A
Ondrej Fiala 1 A
Leland Irving (5-1): 15/18 saves
Shots on Goal: Everett 28, Kelowna 18
Power Play: Everett 0/6, Kelowna 0/2
Attendance: 6,103

Tipped Off
04-07-2006, 11:00 PM
By D. Soleski 4/7/2006

They say the little things can win hockey games. On Friday night that’s precisely what happened.

The Everett Silvertips broke open a 2-2 tie with 3 third period goals, including an empty net marker to dump the Rockets 5-3 in the opening game of their Western Conference Semi-Final series.

To be more specific, the Silvertips bottled up the normally swift Kelowna break out and prevented them from hitting the neutral zone with speed. As a result they were unable to unleash the intense forechecking game that was so effective in their quarter final series win over Kootenay.

As well, the Silvertips got big games from their big players. Shaun Heshka earned first star honors for his steady, flawless game on the blue line. Peter Mueller scored the game winner and the clinching empty net marker to go along with an assist. In doing so he showed why he’s considered a top prospect for the upcoming NHL draft.

The Rockets will have Saturday to regroup before taking to the ice Sunday looking to tie the series. In that game, they’ll have to do a much better job of barging to the red zone for rebounds and second chance opportunities. And, they’ll need to score goals when they do get chances.

Clayton Bauer opened the scoring with a pretty goal a little over a minute into the game. On the play Brent Howarth whipped a cross ice pass to his line mate from the top of the left wing circle. As he slowly faded to his right, Bauer slid a hard drive along the ice that caught the corner on the far side.

After the Bauer goal, the Rockets got into some penalty trouble that by rights should have cost them the lead. But, the steady and, at times, acrobatic play of Derek Yeomans held the Kelowna lead. He flat out robbed Andrej Fiala who looked set to deposit a Peter Mueller pass home. However, the lightning quick left pad of Yeomans slammed the door in time.

Later, the Rockets found themselves down two men but managed to keep the Silvertips at bay. This despite a pair of guys having to play without sticks for an extended period. As they got back to full strength, Chris Ray and Luke Schenn raced away on a two on one rush. Ray’s high blast whistled harmlessly but loudly over the net and off the glass.

Early in the second, Yeomans again frustrated Fiala as he tried to knife home a pass from 10 feet in front. In fact, much of the middle frame was played in the Kelowna zone where the Silvertips, aided by a pair of power plays, generated a number of chances. But, they were unable to get a stick on a rebound at just the right.

Late in period, Kelowna started to turn the tide – but only briefly. A dominant shift by the line of Blake Comeau, Kirt Hill and Troy Bodie hemmed Everett in. Kyle Cumiskey had the best chance when he one-timed a Mike Card pass on goal that forced Irving to stack the pads. Then, seventeen minutes into the period, Everett struck twice to take the lead.

Shaun Heshka tied the game when his high, screened shot from the point sailed over the shoulder of Yeomans who was unable to see it in time. A gallant Heshka had returned after being helped off the ice in the first period with what appeared to be a serious leg injury.

Just 26 seconds later, Cody Thoring directed one towards the net that Karel Hromas tipped between the legs of Yeomans and the Silvertips had the lead.

But, at 18:49, it was Kelowna’s turn to score a big one. Chris Ray made no mistake when he one timed Justin Keller’s feed past a diving Irving. The game was tied and the Rockets had avoided the ominous statistical disadvantage of trailing after 40 minutes. With the game tied, the scene was set for a raucous conclusion.

In the opening moments of the third, Brennan Sonne caught the outside of the post behind Yeomans. At the other end, the Rockets got their cycling game going with only moderate success. At the mid way mark of the period, the total shots in the game were 16-14 Everett. And, at that point, the Rockets’ forechecking game needed to come up with a big play.

Instead, a defensive zone giveaway left John Lammers and Brady Calla open for a 2 on 1 rush that Calla converted cleanly with a sweep shot through the five whole. A short time later, Mueller beat Yeomans to close off a nice 3-way passing play.

Not dead yet, the Rockets struck with 4:19 to play. Blake Comeau blasted home a high drive after a clean face-off win by Chris Ray. But Mueller closed the books with an unassisted, empty net marker at 18:54.

Brent Howarth was the best Kelowna forward in the game and was near the puck all night. Tyler Myers again playedd solidly on the blue line. Andrej Fiala was strong for Everett in his first game back after missing the opening playoff round with a flu bug that has dogged the Silvertips in the post season thus far.

Swando
04-08-2006, 01:40 AM
It doesn't sound as if the Tips played the trap tonight as they oushot the Rockets? Am I correct in asking this?

Redwic
04-08-2006, 10:56 AM
It looked like the teams had switched "traditional" places last night. Everett had the faster team, with many quality offensive chances. Kelowna was a tad slower, for most of the game, and seemed ill-prepared for Everett's speed and continual pressure.

Don't get me wrong, though... Kelowna came out on fire while Everett started the game fairly sluggish (which has been a common theme for them, when they don't play a game for four days or more). But after the one-minute timeout/intermission halfway through the Second Period, it was almost like a 'switch' in both teams had turned opposite directions for the rest of the game; Everett then started establishing more pressure and more puck-control, never settling for any lead, while Kelowna tried slowing down the pace in an apparent attempt to refocus & regain control.

After Everett was down 1-0, then couldn't score on a 1:33 5-on-3 opportunity, then lost Heshka for a while... They still never seemed to lose their composure. Then after Kelowna was down 2-1 they quickly came back to tie the game, and when they were down 4-2 they came back to make it a one point game again.

Neither team let up, and neither team quit. This game demonstrated that both the Silvertips & Rockets have very disciplined & hard-working teams. Both teams wanted this game, a lot, and that's what everyone wants in the playoffs, right?

Tipped Off
04-08-2006, 11:06 AM
...the Tips don't play "the Trap."

Beaner
04-08-2006, 12:25 PM
...the Tips don't play "the Trap."

As a Vancouver Fan I am getting tired of hearing the tips play the trap myself.

Ok so newsflash to everyone:

In the first 2 years the tips played the trap.

Now they dont play it anymore, unless its late and the game is on the line. Just like every other team in the league.

prospera
04-08-2006, 12:53 PM
It doesn't sound as if the Tips played the trap tonight as they oushot the Rockets? Am I correct in asking this?
only because the rockets were short handed for much of the game.even a 5 on 3 and 2 rockets lost their sticks so only 1 player had a stick.

ihlemic10
04-08-2006, 03:42 PM
only because the rockets were short handed for much of the game.even a 5 on 3 and 2 rockets lost their sticks so only 1 player had a stick.

How were they shorthanded much of the game? They had a total of 6 penalty kills. Each one was a 2 minute minor. Thats only 12 minutes of a 60 minute game. Yes there was a 5 on 3, but only one of them. Really the tips outplayed the rockets last night. There is no need to blame the ref "shorthanding" the Rockets. 2 of the penalties were of Delay of Game, by shooting the puck over the glass...an obvious call. I ask you then, how were they shorthanded? Breaking a stick happens, I just broke mine playing.

nelson951
04-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Rockets lost 1st game last series toooooooooooo....

Tipped Off
04-09-2006, 04:58 PM
....always lose the 1st game...lol. Winning game one is something to be happy about, but nothing more, nothing less. It's better than being down one game to none, but I'm definately not counting my chickens yet....now in 3 1/2 more hours, if the Tips are up 2- heading home, I feel fairly confident...but even then the Rocket sare a class team and a class orginization. Until the buzzer sounds and you've sent them golfing...it's not over.