PDA

View Full Version : GM2: Hawks 1 @ Giants 7 Apr. 8th

Beaner
04-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Well pretty much a carbon copy of last nights game except for one major diference, the Giants found the back of the net and found it often. Once again the Gaints had free reign over the entire rink, out worked the Hawks in every area, and limited them to maybe 2 scoring chances all game. This game again was all Giants all night, the Hawks are goig to have to do something to start generating some offense fast.

NOTES
Mucha and Slade got the starts.
Butler came into the Portland net to start the third.
Parker played with a full cage for 1-2 periods after getting 20 stitches on Friday. Removed it for the third.
Mikkelson (Knee), Rutherford ( Shoulder), Dulle, Czibre and Flatters were the Giants scratches.
Both Brule and Dubinsky sat on the bench in the third with the game out of hand.
Gabriel left the game late in the third after taking a knee on knee hit from Lucic (2min).
Shots 43-14 Giants
PP Giants 3/5, Hawks 0/9

GOALS
1. VAN Bartley, (2) (Machacek, Kraus), 1:49 (PP) 5-4, Machacek gets the puck out front to Bartley who fires a short wrister up and over Mucha.
2. POR Hansen, (5) (Bubnick, Dubinsky), 0:21 Miscue by the Giants as 3 players end up behind the net, and the puck squirts out front to Hansen and he taps it into the open side.
2. VAN Bartley, (3) (Machacek, Brule), 4:22 (PP) 5-4, Machacek spins and fires a slapshot from the faceoff dot, that Bartley deflects up and over Mucha
2. VAN Parker, (1) (Fistric), 8:35 Fistric stops the Hawks clearing attempt at the blue line skates in on Mucha and then dishes off to Parker at the side of the net and he banks it into the open side.
2. VAN Lucic, (2) (Parker, Slade), 10:31 (PP) 5-4, Off the rush, Lucic snaps a wicked wrister top shelf glove side on Mucha
2. VAN Kraus, (2) (Franson), 12:16 Kraus gets a puck right in front of the net and he fires it past Mucha?
2. VAN Bliznak, (2) (Watt, Scharff), 17:56 I believe this one came from a centering attempt from behind the net, that bounced of someone and in. Not sure if it hit Bliznak or he shot it as about 6 guys were down there.
3. VAN Repik, (2) (Reese, Blum), 18:48 Repik breaks past the Hawks D, breakaway and he snaps a shot past Butler.

FISTICUFFS
McLaren vs Repik
After Mclaren runs Brule, its Repik who goes to get a bit of payback. This fight is all McLaren as he has Repik in trouble early, catches him with a couple shots, but the Linesman jump in early before McLaren really unloads on him. WIN: McLAREN. Repik gets the 2/5/10---

Why didnt Franson or Scharff or any of the other bigger guys on the ice at the time step in on this????

McLaren vs. Watt
Ok now for the real payback. After a delay to fix Slades' mask after he took one off the head, Watt and McLaren yap and yap and decide they will go. Get the face off, they ditch the gear, and skate to center Ice. Lots of postioning early, they finally lock up and Try to get the upper hand. McLaren lands a couple shots, as they are locked up and skating around, Watt catchesMcLaren with a shot right to the button, and then the y skate to the boards, off the boards, still wrestling and missing and then, Watt gets McLaren with his head down and feeds him 4-5 uppercuts. Refs break it up as JD is about to pull the jersey over the head. McLaren ends up with a cut over the lip and looked a little woozy heading to the box. EDGE WATT in a great long fight. (5 Each)

OFFICIATING
Klein got he call tonight, but I think he lost total control of the game after McLaren hit Brule at the end of the 2nd.

Pretty much Klein only called penalties on the third, as I believe he was trying to avoid haveing the Giants run the score up any more than it already was.

OVERALL
Well, we could basically just take the recap from last night, and paste it here, except change no goals to lots of goals. Portland brought nothing to the table tonight, and the one area that really tells this is that Vancouver generated more shots shorthanded, then the Hawks did on the PP.

All Giants all night, they made a small adjustment to what they did on Friday and it was just too much for the Hawks to handle. Hawks D looked exhausted tonight, and it showed on the scoreboard. Can't fault Mucha for this lose, he tried hard but he really had little to no support out there at all.

Both Dubinsky and Brule were benched by their coaches for the third period tonight, a smart move IMO, by both bench bosses with the game out of hand and it getting ugly. Dubinsky still managed to get a misconduct at the end of the game for beaking off.

CHEAPSHOTS
Saw the Knee by Lucic on Gabriel. Hard to tell how bad Gabriel got it and if he will be back, but he did skate off, favoring the knee, but left for the dressing room right away.

Bartley also threw a pretty bad check from behind on Balan, he had to be helped off the ice, can't remember if he returned or not, but he didnt look like he new where he was.

Missed the McLaren hit on Brule late in the 2nd, only saw Brule laying on the ice in the aftermath. Puck was nowhere near Brule, hence why I didnt see it. If someone did see it, please let us know exactly what happened.

I expect even though Klein choose not to hand out any 5's the league will be getting some game tapes from this, we might even see some suspensions out of it.

3 STARS
1. VAN - 19 Mitch Bartley
2. VAN - 15 Spencer Machacek
3. VAN - 20 Mario Bliznak

Swando
04-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Good post Beaner... I totally agree with everything you said. Last night could have been the same outcome as tonight save a few different bounces.
I made a comment in an earlier post that if the Giants score first it's a whole new ball game... Hawks can not match up in the offensive area trying to play catch up.
In regard to the Brule hit a STH behind be said McLaren pitchforked him in the groin / thigh area. I didn't see it but it left a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw who it was laying there. He's not one to fake it. I don't know if you heard me yelling at Klien but I gave him a good one as he skated by "Go back to Ringett :groovy: "

Beaner
04-09-2006, 12:03 AM
I don't know if you heard me yelling at Klien but I gave him a good one as he skated by "Go back to Ringett :groovy: "

No was too busy yelling at Franson to step in and get McLaren instead of sending in his Europeon bodyguard....

:spineyes:

rinkrat
04-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Thomas Frazee snapped and took a shot at a fan on the way down the tunnel after the game.The guy had been riding him and Friesen the whole game.Nothing rude or even very loud,just bugging him about "warming the bench".I don't think any officials saw it but he definately stopped and swung at the fan! :spineyes:

KBF
04-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Brule wouldn't fake it? lol thats a good one considering he's won the gold medal in "diving" the last 3 years. But of course nobody but an outside Giant fan would know that.

rinkrat
04-09-2006, 01:00 AM
But of course nobody but an outside Giant fan would know that.
Whats an "outside" Giants fan? :skeptical
Finally we realize,you are a Giants fan!

dondo
04-09-2006, 02:33 AM
agreed Klein looked good for two periods and then started handing out penalties to try to keep control of the game, not a good way to go and very one-sided.

I loved that Repik stood up to humungoboy McLaren, he earned huge points with the fans and his teammates, and Don Hay was positively beaming about it on the post game chat.

its odd how none of us saw what actually happened to Gilbert and I find it amusing that beaner and I make very similar comments in our respective re-caps, without reading each others.

great depth scoring tonight, sixteen different GMen players in on the scoring. we had finish and looked much more comfortable with the puck and getting to loose ones.

Although it was at the other end of the ice, it looked to me like the player Bartley hit turned to face the boards as he was hit. The check from behind called on us in my end certainly was. I watched the player recognize he was going to be hit and turning to face the boards (why do players do this??).

Beaner
04-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Although it was at the other end of the ice, it looked to me like the player Bartley hit turned to face the boards as he was hit. The check from behind called on us in my end certainly was. I watched the player recognize he was going to be hit and turning to face the boards (why do players do this??).

I dont know about that Dondo, it looked like a pretty clear Check from behind, Bartley could have avoided hitting him and chose not to.

Klein should have sent a message right then and there and given Bartley 4 minutes for that one. Then it may have smartened everyone on the ice up.

Seemed the only person on the ice who couldn't figure out the game was going to get ugly was Klein, both coaches figured it out and benched their "star" players.

dondo
04-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I dont know about that Dondo, it looked like a pretty clear Check from behind, Bartley could have avoided hitting him and chose not to.

Klein should have sent a message right then and there and given Bartley 4 minutes for that one. Then it may have smartened everyone on the ice up.

Seemed the only person on the ice who couldn't figure out the game was going to get ugly was Klein, both coaches figured it out and benched their "star" players.

Okay thanks beaner, the one at my end was definitely a player turning to the boards and I didn't see the whole play just prior to the hit from Bartley. But I assume you are closer to that end and saw it more clearly.

oh btw: The Bliznak goal came from some good and patient work by Chad Scharff allong the boards, he fed it behind the net to Watt who threw it out front for Mario waiting on the doorstep. I remember that one particularly because of the smart play by Scharffie with the puck.