PDA

View Full Version : Should suspended players win honours?

Thunderbird107
02-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Both the WHL/CHL player of the week (Coburn) and the CHL goalie of the week (Wall) will be suspended for their next game for actions in a previous one. Do you think suspensions such as these should preclude players being given honours as player of the week/month? All actions took place on the ice and therefore reflect the player, don't you think?

Tipped Off
02-08-2005, 03:36 PM
I 100% agree that it should be a factor in the decision, but not a proclusion. For instance if Goalie A allowed 1 goal in three games, went 3-0 with 2 shutouts & Goalie B allowed 2 goals, went 2-1 with one shutout but goalie A received a suspension for his actions in one of those games, I might be inclined to give the award to goalie B for his OVERALL performance on the ice.

On the other hand if there was no one else who was even close, then Goalie A probably still should get the award.

Sammy
02-08-2005, 03:47 PM
great question! On the one hand, if player of the week is simply stats based on-ice award, then who cares? Cuz suspensions are within the rules, right?
but on the other hand, what if player was arrested & subsequently suspended for off ice incident? eg. collects the Hat trick, then goes pours a drink on the head of an obnoxious fan (ala Eric Lindros)? Or worse, has an argument with his agent & hires out a hit (ala Mike Danton)

grumphy
02-08-2005, 04:29 PM
I believe in this case the award was issued prior to the suspension

Thunderbird107
02-08-2005, 04:42 PM
I believe in this case the award was issued prior to the suspension

Well the awards were announced today after the suspensions had already been made public (although not on the WHL site yet) and you have to imagine that the discussions for suspensions had to have been going on while the potw were being decided.

I'm not saying either way, I was just curious as to how everyone else felt about it.

grumphy
02-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Awards are decided early on Mondays for the previous week ending with the Sunday games.

Thunderbird107
02-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Awards are decided early on Mondays for the previous week ending with the Sunday games.

That may be true for the WHL but the CHL does not decide (announce) theirs until Tuesday of the following week.

grumphy
02-08-2005, 04:53 PM
That may be true for the WHL but the CHL does not decide (announce) theirs until Tuesday of the following week.
I rest my case the decisions on the awards was made prior to the suspension :)

Tiger Trauma
02-08-2005, 04:54 PM
I think suspensions should factor in on the decision
if its a minor infraction like 1 game then i wouldn't worry about it
but if its a match penalty or 3+ game suspension...i would pull my vote to another guy

Thunderbird107
02-08-2005, 05:36 PM
I rest my case the decisions on the awards was made prior to the suspension :)

Rest on what? :)

grumphy
02-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Reference the Announce

Orv
02-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I think that as long as it is not a Bertuzzi/McSorely type incident it should not matter.